PDA

View Full Version : getting oil off brakes

mike52
08-26-2004, 09:16 AM
What is the best way to get spilt oil off of the brakes on a walk behind? I doubt I would want to use WD40 or something soap based. Any help appreciated.

jug head
08-26-2004, 09:20 AM
BERRYMAN'S BRAKE CLEANER..Works like a charm and is quite useful for other tough cleaning projects--actually any brake cleaner will do--you can pick it up in a spray can at your nearest auto parts store.

jeppe
08-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Who hoo first post.
I would try carb cleaer or brake parts cleaner. use it very liberaly.
If that doesnt help I would sugest to replace the friction parts.

The above sugestion comes from experience with cars and motorcycles and I have not seen the design of the brakes on a walk behind mower. If it using "regular" brake pads or brake shoes the above should work fine.

Jesper

Gravely_Man
08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Any brake cleaner should work. Although it is very bad for your skin brake cleaner works very well on most all of your parts cleaning needs.

Gravely_Man

GreenMonster
08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
Any brake cleaner should work. Although it is very bad for your skin

yeah, your liver too. I see guys using it all the time to wash their hands
:rolleyes:

Please, save your liver, use GoJo.

jug head
08-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
yeah, your liver too. I see guys using it all the time to wash their hands
:rolleyes:

Please, save your liver, use GoJo.

ok--your freaking me out now!!! I go Through allot of brake cleaner--What's it gonna do to my liver--I don't drink it much--but use it all the time to clean parts!(at least 3 or 4 times a week) Am i gonna start peeing green or something? does chlorinated brake cleaner mess you up also?

1Royalone
08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
When brake cleaner gets on your skin, what ever doesn't evaporate goes right to your blood stream and then through your liver. It also acts as a carrier... what ever item is liquified with the cleaner also goes through your skin. The body can take alot of abuse but you should use gloves when ever you can.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree with most of the others brake kleen or something along those lines would be fine. Woudnt use carb cleaner though. Yes I know it works very similar, but its not the same.