PDA

View Full Version : sod mowing issues

MImowerkid
08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
I have had a few customers who have had patches in their lawn done in sod and I have found that when running a ztr over the sod for one to two months the mower can rip and suck the sod up . how do you guys handle mowing fresh sod ? a w.b. ? thanks
C.J. ;)

Avery
08-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Stay off it until it has set. Usually two weeks here. When you cannot easily pull it up by hand it is safe to mow.

Mico Landscaping design
08-26-2004, 11:15 PM
is wut i do is have my blades almost all the way up and it still cuts it good.. u dont want it to low for the new sod anyways.. just raise it up and see if it work's for you like it does for me :) thats my 2 sense though

Trevors Lawn Care
08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
i wait at least one month..

Some guy insisted on me cutting last year after 2 weeks, and his lawn looked terrible to say the least, and hasnt "grown" like it should ever again. It has been 2.5 weeks since we cut his lawn last, and everyone else is still weekly.

Trevor

Precision
08-27-2004, 08:36 AM
I have done a bunch of sodding this year. The only lawn that was not set after 3 weeks was a lady who refused to water the way I advised. Her sod has been down for 5 months and is just now growing well.

I rototill before laying the sod. Then I water for at least an hour starting as soon as I have an area big enough to water. Then water with at least an inch of water twice a day for 2 weeks. This keeps the roots wet and bonds the sod to the softened soil and compacts the soil down without rolling.

Then live Avery, I use the pull test. grab a chunk and pull. if the blades rip before the sod comes up, you can mow. if not it is weedeater time or wait another week.

Brand new or freshly sharpened blades are a must and cut a bit higher than normal is also a very good idea.