PDA

View Full Version : Need help with OLD Zero -Hydro

grasscapeinc
08-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I have a old TORO Zero-Hydro I bought used couple years ago as a back-up machine. Runs and cut good, considering...I bought one new years ago when they were current so I was familiar with them. Anyhow, the mule belt from the engine pulley snapped and shredded itself. I need a new one, but without the old one I'm not sure what size or length. I "think" the model of the machine is 74140 but I am not sure of the year or serial number..I think it is a Dixie design with a Toro licence..I can get one from a belt shop if I knew the lenght and the Toro parts site doesn't list the belts for this machine. Anyone have one of these things??

FrankenScagMachines
08-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Take a long peice of string and run it around the pulleys including all idlers. Measure the length of the string and go to the parts store and tell them the length of the string and measure the width of the top of the pulleys and tell them that measurement too. This won't get the right belt but it will get you in that ballpark. Then you can go back and say i need a tighter one or looser one. Then when you get the right one, write that number down on the manual if you have it, or somewhere where you can reference to in the future. Get the Kevlar corded belts, they're lots better. They take heat, stress and friction and wear better than standard belts and they last longer, i've tried both kinds. Have an old garden tractor that used a crazy size belt. I used a standard size regular belt since there was no replacement for the odd size. of course this made it wear really hard and it ate the belts fast. I got a Kevlar belt standard size and even though it's not the perfect size for the application it has lasted alot longer than the standard belts i had on it before. Hope this helps.

Runner
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Try this site. I think this has the belt you are looking for. It lists the dimensions of the belt on there. Look at the belt that is number 265-732. I hope this helps. http://zacm.com/belt/Toro.htm

Oldtimer
08-26-2004, 11:18 PM
The mower is a Wheel Horse. They had the prototype built by Art Evans, the owner of Dixie Chopper. Dixie Chopper build around 750 units as choppers and Wheel Horse-Toro built them for several years as the 724Z.

It's the Edsel of the Z mowers.

Your deck looks like a 60" part # 78475 and the belts are available. I have the mule drive in stock.

Oldtimer

matthew horner
08-26-2004, 11:28 PM
I can buy one of these for 1500, in running shape. WOuld this be a good investment to resale spring next year??????
Matt

Oldtimer
08-27-2004, 12:38 AM
It would be easier to cure a STD than make money on an old 724Z. The hydros are weak at best, uses about 400 dollars worth of chains and sprockets and the parking brake is a constant source of trouble.

I have traded in a couple of them and sold them as parts donors to retired homeowners who were up to the challenge of keeping their machines running.

Oldtimer

Runner
08-27-2004, 03:45 AM
1500 BUCKS!!!????? It's not a classic YET!!! LOL

matthew horner
08-27-2004, 09:17 AM
ok ok I got the message LOL. Thanks. I did'nt think I could make a profit on it.

Matt