PDA

View Full Version : The drought

Charles
05-15-2000, 07:25 PM
NO rain in the past month for most of the south. Also 90 deg temps have dried everything out. As usual we are having cool windy spells. Good for blowing the dust and dead grass in your face. Customers are starting to move their cuts up. Most of us haven't recovered from last years disaster. The fronts come and go. The rain disipates or goes north or far south. Who knows. Still no rain in sight. I can't remember a drought starting this early. Last may was kinda dry. But nothing like this.

lawnnut
05-15-2000, 08:49 PM
They also are talking about banning watering<br>here.

osc
05-15-2000, 09:49 PM
Charles man, I'm gonna pray for rain and do a rain dance just for you because I know how bad a drought is. And it seems like the dryer it is, the more it doesn't rain. Like a viscious cycle.<br>Remember to watch your air filters because dusty conditions can clog one up in no time flat which means you have to watch the oil as well.<br>Last year in Ohio the drought was wicked but we still had a great year. Blew up a few engines but you know. This year the grass is taking revenge and it rains every 2-3 days. I'm sure the water table is still low but lawn care is fine.<br>I've got a good feeling that things will turn around for you soon, a cycle can't last forever.

lawnworker
05-16-2000, 06:10 PM
Charles dry here in roanoke va also It has gotta rain soon thugh I hope

NeilG
05-16-2000, 09:44 PM
Dry in Alabama too. We don't do any cutting, but the dry conditions effect all of us in the Green Industry. Hope that you guys get some much needed rainfall.

jrblawncare
05-17-2000, 04:09 AM
Same here in KY,as I cut Tuesday I noticed the grooth rate has really slowed up,Things better change soon or it will be like last year.

bondlawn
05-17-2000, 08:29 PM
Charles, I don't know where you live, but in Griffin, GA I've already cut back by one third the amount of cutting I did last year. Water restrictions are already in place in various towns around Atlanta, including Griffin. Absolutely the driest I ever remember in May.

Eric ELM
05-17-2000, 08:35 PM
I'll send yall some rain. We have had rain 8 out of the last 12 days in Illinois. I will be willing to share with you guys. I did notice it will be heading to the south and east this weekend. I sure hope you get some of it. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

lawngator
05-18-2000, 07:05 AM
Eric, If you would, point that rain towards central Florida. I don't know how much more of this drought we can take. <br>Bill<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lawngator

lawnnut
05-18-2000, 07:14 AM
Backing all accounts up 1 week again. <br>Except for a few.<br>

Charles
05-18-2000, 07:45 AM
I live in SC. The weather man keeps teasing us with these rain forcast. Like they called for rain this weekend. NOw they have changed that and no rain is forcast. I think they are just wishful thinking or trying to just get us to watch their stupid asses. The grass just crackles under your feet. Thank God for weeds to cut!!! During drought weeds come in handy

Charles
05-18-2000, 07:30 PM
Okay God, pooollleaassee send some rain soon. We need it really bad. I never have asked for much ever. Oh okay, there was that time i asked for the hottie nakie blow up doll when I was 15. I thought you have forgave me for that along time ago.....I promise to go to church ever sunday starting next year....

Charles
05-18-2000, 07:44 PM
Anyone else want to say a prayer? He don't seem to be listening to me

Lee Homan
05-18-2000, 07:46 PM
I hear ya Charles. I'm gonna start filling out applications pretty soon if we don't get some rain here in Alabama. The bad thing is, it's going to take a good bit of rain to get the grass to start growing again. A 20 minute shower ain't gonna get it. Goog Luck Everybody.

Grassroots
05-18-2000, 08:04 PM
Dry & arid here in central Florida. My brother I and have been in business for just over two months now and have only picked up 24 accounts. We are getting very discouraged. Local city council is further restricting watering times as well. Bleak start indeed.<br><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

yardsmith
05-20-2000, 12:23 AM
don't give up hope yet guys-<br>Last night (thurs. 5-18) we had flood watches in Ohio, & by morning had 1.4&quot; of rain overnight. Came down like a banshee!<br>I could handle that about 1-2 a week :)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

NeilG
05-20-2000, 07:58 PM
Just thought I'd check in. Got caught in TWO<br>really good showers today and got wet as could be. This will help things to green up for a week or so. Just hope that it is widespread, so that most everyone gets some of it.

HOMER
05-21-2000, 01:44 AM
Send it south Neil, send it south and fast! Had a good shower at my house, not where I cut, last Friday night, rained on Hank Williams Jr. and Charlie Daniels but they got the show off any way. Supposed to have a slim chance tomorrow, if weather runs in 7 day cycles its a day late.<p>Homer

Charles
05-22-2000, 08:06 AM
WE had plenty of clouds around this weekend. You could see scattered storms coming from Ga. But we have all seen it in a drought pattern. Very hard to rain. Nothing but drizzle. Roads got wet is all. And not all areas of town got it. The high they say has broken down off the coast. But even as it did that the rain just disipated. I never get use to this frustrating weather pattern. Guess I will have to take this week off. According to the weather service the north will be spared this year. Osc keep on praying man. I got customers that are praying for no rain so they will save money lol

thelawnguy
05-22-2000, 09:34 PM
Send some drought up North. Im sick of this rain and drizzle every day (past 3 weeks) I think I forgot what the sun looks like. Someone commented how this is the same weather Seattle has all the time, no wonder Cobain blew his head off.<p>Bill

Charles
05-24-2000, 08:16 PM
NO rain in SC. still. Just drizzle. No grass to cut. This is why I hate the grass biz in SC. Every year the same ol crap. Just that it is happening earlier this year and we really havent hit the dry season yet. Not much work at all this week. The rain line stops at the border of SC and goes north or south or fizzles. Those poor new peeps that havent even gotten an income started and all that new equipment....I think too little rain is worse than too much rain like you peeps up north are having

lawrence stone
05-24-2000, 09:34 PM
You can never have too much rain. It rained all last night. The first job of the day a<br>half acre industrial site was a real bear with a belt drive.<p>Then the sky opened up for the second day in a row again at 3pm.<p>My favorite song is &quot;I'm only happy when<br>it rains&quot;.

little green guy
05-24-2000, 10:24 PM
I saw the light today. I forgot what the sun looked like. havn't seen it in weeks. I guess it's better than no rain at all. gets a little dangerous mowing steep hills in the rian though. One of my workers that was trimming almost got run over buy the guy that was mowing the hill where he was trimming. what a dumbass

Alan
05-25-2000, 10:26 AM
Well, no drought up here. Second day of rain this week. Yesterday it lasted most of the morning, today it started about 7:30 and almost stops, then starts again. Work is so backed up it's embarassing. I have three grade & seed jobs that I cannot do until it dries up some and no knowing when that will be. Mowing is about four days overdue on most of my sites today, was planning on a very long day today and tomorrow to get tehm caught up. That will not happen now as it will be mid-afternoon before the grass is dry enough to get on, even if it stops this moment. Some I could mow and not get clumping on, but they are so hilly I'd be doing the Exmark Slide if I try to mow them wet. Damn, but this business can be fun! Oh yeah,, one beligerent customer wants to know what day I will be at his house to do a renovation,, like I can even begin to hold to a schedule right now.

Charles
05-26-2000, 04:44 PM
Did some work today. We had a nice storm yesterday. Some tornadoes in the states. But i am will to pay the price of being blowed away to get some rain. Still cutting dust in most yards. Homer is it getting any better in your area? I think the severe areas are sc to texas and back to alabama

HOMER
05-26-2000, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry to report Charles that we haven't had a drop this far south! I lost one account today, really couldn't hold the man to it, last time I cut his Bermuda my tires chewed the dry mess right down to the dirt.......without turning! I feel more phone calls are on the way too, most of the callers will be people that aren't concerned enough about the appearance of their property to pull a water hose out and keep it alive. The good news is todays loss is a trade off because I picked up an account that one of the other companies in town lost due to poor customer relations/crappy work/service/employees etc.......... This yard is in a more affluent section of town and the lady is a teacher with lots of friends!!!!!!!!!! It has an irrigation system and some nice grass, it's green! I have almost reached the point where I will be asking if they have an irrigation system before I even give an estimate, it's gotten that serious, and has been for 3 years in a row. There is a company 30 miles from here that runs Kubota only, bags everything, and flat refuses to put them in a yard that has even the slightest bare spots, they stay pretty busy I hear and ride nice trucks, run clean lawnmowers and probably make money. Sounds like a plan I think I will evolve to, one by one I will replace scrub yards with good ones. The lady told me today when we met that I came highly recommended!!!!!!!! Imagine that, little ol' Homer being &quot;HIGHLY RECOMMENDED&quot; Took a while for my bird chest to deflate but I got over it. It does make you feel good when someone says that to you and I want to continue that trend as long as I can. I want the next retired teacher to tell me that I came &quot;highly recommended&quot;, when I get her yard from another scrub co. that has lost it!<p>Got a little off course didn't I Chuck! Must be this heat, calling for a high of 100 tomorrow, not much different than 97-98 like it was today. <p>Keep prayin', he'll send it when HE gets ready!<br>Homer

lawrence stone
05-27-2000, 07:47 AM
Homer maybe it is time to buy the text books needed to pass the certified pesticide applicator exam in your state?<p>You cash flow will not be dependent on the<br>weather as mowing maint.<p>Last season here in the PA it did not rain from may 15 thru August 15. Every dam day was<br>sunny and between 85 (which is real hot for me) to 100 in temp.<p>If I did not have a pesticide license I would<br>have have not kept up a positive cash flow.<p>I suggest you prepare to dirversify your<br>business. What about indoor bug control?<br>That real big in the South right?<br>How about pool service? But here in PA<br>you again need a license to pour chlorine.<p>Sell you existing customers another service.<br>

gene gls
05-28-2000, 12:19 AM
Finialy, two whole days of sunshine without any rain, two more IF the weather man is reading the stars wright.I'll have to go back and spot mow the mud holes that I have been skipping.

Keith
05-28-2000, 06:12 AM
Gene, if you don't mind, how about e-mailing some rain this way :)<p>Most of our customers have sprinkler systems, but they are getting a little concerned with the water bills. Some, against our advice have tried &quot;experimenting&quot; with the timers. They get the bright idea to shut it down for a few days and it is a real ***** trying to get the lawn right after they do that. Or, rather than watering every few days for 1-1 1/2 hours per zone, they try watering a zone for 30 minutes more frequently. That ain't gonna cut it here. A gear drive zone on 30 minutes is useless.<p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith

Charles
05-30-2000, 11:17 AM
2nd stage drought warnings have been declared in sc. Homer you might want to extend that vacation. We have had one decent rain since about april 15. Can't even kill weeds hear because thats all there is in most yards. Looks like Fla fires are getting worse. Soon there will be water restrictions. Most people can't aford to water their yards this much anyway. All we can hope for is a active and early tropical season. The first wave has developed down in the bahammas. I havent checked on it lately

Lee Homan
05-31-2000, 05:28 PM
Heard last night on the news that this pattern of drought is going to continue for decades to come. Wonder how long people can continue this business over the long haul with these conditions.

Charles
05-31-2000, 08:35 PM
I saw that on the news too Lee. I think it has more to do with global warming than anything else. The severe areas this year run from fla to sc to the upper midwest to arizona and new mexico and south to fla again. There is literaly no grass to cut here just weeds. They said on the news too that the US may no longer be the top food producer in the future because of the warming. The glaciers are melting at a rapid rate. One chunk of ice the size of rhode island has already has broken off. I cut a yard today and the dirt just covered me and the house. But the peeps up north are getting just the opposite too much rain. Go figure

GrassRoots Lawn Care
05-31-2000, 08:46 PM
I think I am going to switch to irrigation next year. Damn, you guys are depressing. :-)<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

Toroguy
05-31-2000, 09:17 PM
Charles,<br>We were having wild fires two weeks ago (MN), now it has rained almost every day for two weeks...end of drought.<p>Is there such a thing as Drought Insurance? There ought to be...<p>Hope you are managing somehow Charles

Lee Homan
06-01-2000, 06:01 AM
This thing definately has me concerned, a few more weeks and I won't have anything to mow. I'm not sure we can even recover this year unless we get a monsoon.

HOMER
06-01-2000, 06:10 AM
I've been advised by some to get my pesticide license, if I did that and killed the weeds I wouldn't have anything to mow! Grow weeds grow is all I can say. Bahai is a pain down south but it loves heat, loves water too but doesn't seem to need it to grow. Grow bahai grow, keeps me busy anyway. Weather man said last night we were 15&quot; behind in rain so far this year, bans all over on watering and no measurable rain fall in sight. We need a hurricane or tropical storm just to get close to where we should be, thats a hoot, wishing for severe weather! Heat must be gettin' to me bad.<p>Homer