PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Turning

bkiedro
08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Hello there,
I have demo'd a Woods Mowin' Machine. I really liked the mower, but it REALLY tore up my lawn when I turned. Everyone told me to slow down. That clearly was not the case. It did it when I was simply standing idle and pushed one lever forward. Does anyone else have this problem? I am looking at the Grasshopper and the JD 687. Does anyone have experience with these mowers that can tell me if I will suffer from the same effects?

I am looking to purchase a nice front mount mower that won't rip up my lawn, but am struggling. Any advice would be appreciated!

Brent:blob2:

GreenMonster
08-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I have a front-mount grasshopper, and had the same problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74682&highlight=aggressive+tires

With some practice, I've been able to "master" the zero-turn without tearing turf. Basically, I come to a complete stop, then turn by pushing one lever forward, and one backward. You will run into problems when you don't keep BOTH tires turning. One forward, one backward.

I am now a succesful zero-turner thanks to the pro's at lawnsite:D

bkiedro
08-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks GreenMonster! That makes sense. I am glad that I am not the only one out there. That being said, I had heard that the Grasshopper had a new transmission that helped with that. Have you heard?

Brent

Sneaky
08-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Same as any other ztr. Make a Y turn.

GreenMonster
08-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by bkiedro
Thanks GreenMonster! That makes sense. I am glad that I am not the only one out there. That being said, I had heard that the Grasshopper had a new transmission that helped with that. Have you heard?

Brent

Mine is a 725 with the commercial G2 tranny. Not entirely sure how it differs from the 600 series, or older grasshoppers. Someone like Mowingman may be able to provide more insight.

I found the G2 controls VERY touchy at first, but did get used to them in short time.