PDA

View Full Version : Exmark getting a big head?

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Is it just me or is Exmark starting to get a big head? I have constantly seen thread where people are paying more money for there new exmark, when another mower would have been cheaper. For example, My dealer quoted me $6,400 this spring for a new Lazer Z hp 44". I out right laughed in there face and told them in there dreams. I then went to a Toro dealer (yes i know they are now the same company) and was quoted $6,200 for a Z500 series 52" with the turbo force deck! Now come on here, something doesnt add up. It's like anything i guess. You can buy a Cadillac Escalade for $60,000 with all the bell's and whistles or you can buy a loaded Tahoe for $35,000 when the only real difference is the name on the product.

EXMARK GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @$$ because there is other equipment that is just as good if not better at a cheaper price!

gramps
08-26-2004, 05:03 PM
exmark.worth every dollar

FFEMT
08-26-2004, 05:06 PM
When I was shoppimg for a mower earlier this year I looked at exmark, Toro, Kabota and Gravely...

I ended up going with the Gravely..

Saved myself a bundle of money..

Very satisfied with my purchase..:)

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by FFEMT
When I was shoppimg for a mower earlier this year I looked at exmark, Toro, Kabota and Gravely...

I ended up going with the Gravely..

Saved myself a bundle of money..

Very satisfied with my purchase..:)

Yet another happy Gravely customer! It will serve you well!

kkat
08-26-2004, 05:49 PM
How much hp on your new toro z500 ?

MMLawn
08-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Toro with Turbo Force....worth MORE than every dollar!

No Lawncares
08-26-2004, 06:19 PM
All my big mowers are Gravely. I have not had any problems at all.

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 06:27 PM
So Prostreet,
Tell me, do you actually own any of these overpriced headuptheass mowers that you speak of?
I'll bet I can answer that...................

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
So Prostreet,
Tell me, do you actually own any of these overpriced headuptheass mowers that you speak of?
I'll bet I can answer that...................

I own a Examrk Lazer Z hp 48" and it now has 1,700 hours on it. I just purchased a Gravely 34Z, I had a Gravely Pro-50 that was purchased new and had 3,200 hours on it and still going strong when I sold it. I also own a 36" scag peice of junk walk behind that I hate with a passion. So what are you trying to get at? When I purchased my 48" lazer new it was $5,300 and now the 44" version is $6,400??????????????????

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid129/pcc1a10347d61a783021cfd52024ce051/f7d08300.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid129/pfa49f34913dc6ccd0fe2cefafd4703f5/f7d08308.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid129/p698c84bd275012a714db0a5209f66a35/f7d0830b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p9be4ac30644d639c3a8cdd2d42f3163d/f8c14267.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p04ccd744b0f58794cbc0a5b3b7efff95/f8c1426d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pfd61f447af33a59a9916b324fdd35950/f8c14277.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pa1ec06fa83602f2c4723f34eef9ed315/f8c14271.jpg

John Gamba
08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Prostreet
What mower did you do the stripes with.
John

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Prostreet
What mower did you do the stripes with.
John

The lazer but the 34Z stripes just as well. Our Pro-50 was great at striping also. The Scag just plain cuts like crap and couldnt stripe if its life depended on it.

John Gamba
08-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by ProStreetCamaro
The Scag just plain cuts like crap and couldnt stripe if its life depended on it.

I agree.Thank You
John

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes prostreet, prices DO go up.
Just like the price of those lawns you like to cut.

So you have an HP with 1700 hrs. on it which makes it 3-5 years old.

Are you saying prices should stay the same over that time period with an ADDITIONAL cost for increased steel prices?

Your argument is a bit shallow in my opinion.
I don't see any great price difference between brands when
doing comparisons with REAL numbers, from REAL dealers.

You can spend your money elswhere if you like, my money will stay with a company that builds a quality product with support and service to match.
We will be demo'ing a 72" Lazer next thursday............
It is coming from 1.5 hours away just so we can run the machine for a bit.
Lesser companies do NOT provide such service.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I agree.Thank You
John

Have you had bad luck with scags? They are very popular around here but I just dont like them. As a matter of fact 9 out of 10 trailors have a scag W/B on them around here and usually a Lazer or Toro.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Yes prostreet, prices DO go up.
Just like the price of those lawns you like to cut.

So you have an HP with 1700 hrs. on it which makes it 3-5 years old.

Are you saying prices should stay the same over that time period with an ADDITIONAL cost for increased steel prices?

Your argument is a bit shallow in my opinion.
I don't see any great price difference between brands when
doing comparisons with REAL numbers, from REAL dealers.

You can spend your money elswhere if you like, my money will stay with a company that builds a quality product with support and service to match.
We will be demo'ing a 72" Lazer next thursday............
It is coming from 1.5 hours away just so we can run the machine for a bit.
Lesser companies do NOT provide such service.

I also looked at the Gravely 144Z and they wanted $4,999 for it. The ONLY reason we didnt get it was because it was still a bit to wide to go through most of our gated lawns. Thats $1,400 cheaper than the 44" lazer and the Gravely was built so much better. Talk about a heavy duty line of mowers! More than likely in the spring we will also be getting a Gravely 152Z. I am not shallow and I will agree that Exmark builds great machines but I feel they have built such a big name that they are now trying gouge people with there high price. If Gravely and others can build a machine thats just as good if not better and charge $1,400 less then Exmark is jacking there price!

John Gamba
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Have you had bad luck with scags? They are very popular around here but I just dont like them. As a matter of fact 9 out of 10 trailors have a scag W/B on them around here and usually a Lazer or Toro.

I had one but i liked the greavly pro 150 better. We are starting to see all exmarks:p .
John

Green Care
08-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Pro my scags stripes pretty good if you not haappy with it I can be up gaithersburg in 30min.

Richard Martin
08-26-2004, 08:32 PM
John, I had one of those and absolutely hated it. When I bought my Exmark 36 the Gravely spent a lot more time on the trailer than the Exmark did.

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, I don't OWN a Exmark, but I WILL say this much. I looked at the Exmarks myself this year. I could find absolutely NO reason why I should give them the ludicrous price I was quoted for the various machines I checked out.. To top it off the dealer's overall attitude coupled with his less than enthusiastic respones when I asked to demo ( he basically said, " Trust me You'll like it, you can check it out in the back lot") on one of my customers properties'.... It's funny, just the day before yesterday, the Toro rep from Houston brought down THREE machine for me to demo on my own property! I didn't even really ask them to either, I just mentioned to them at an Expo, that since I didn't have a dealer nearby ( when I was buying, there is one now, and he is a pretty good guy ) that I didn't really consider them.. The rep said, " Well we've got a guy heading down there nexy week and he'll bring them by for you to demo"... NOW THAT is service, they knew I wouldn't be buying immediately, but took time to drive 35 miles out of their way for me to demo.

Sorry for the long story, but my point is.. You don't crap where you eat..If Exmark and their dealers won't compete, they will starve like they deserve to. Besides the Toro is an excellent machine ... Flame on.

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Prostreet,
Personally I don't consider a gravely to be built anything near what an exmark is. But that's just my opinion and obviously you have yours. That's what makes the world go 'round..........

Just as an aside, we got a price on a lazer xs just recently that
was not much more than a standard 27horse 60" lazer.
The XS is Quite the machine in comparison.
The fact that we are buying one line of mowers from one dealer also makes a difference...............Loyalty.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Lawnzzz
Pro my scags stripes pretty good if you not haappy with it I can be up gaithersburg in 30min.

I wish you would steal it so we could collect insurance on it.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Prostreet,
Personally I don't consider a gravely to be built anything near what an exmark is. But that's just my opinion and obviously you have yours. That's what makes the world go 'round..........

Just as an aside, we got a price on a lazer xs just recently that
was not much more than a standard 27horse 60" lazer.
The XS is Quite the machine in comparison.
The fact that we are buying one line of mowers from one dealer also makes a difference...............Loyalty.

Go to your local Gravely dealer and take a good look. The tires are huge, the frame is massive, the entire deck is 7ga steel and its a fairly simple design. Also the spindles are MUCH better than the Exmark spindles. I had to replace one on the exmark at only 600 hours and now at 1,700 hours the other 2 are going bad. In 3,200 hours on our Gravely Pro-50 we only ever had to replace 1 tranny.

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I wish you would steal it so we could collect insurance on it.

LOLOL!!:nono:

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
LOLOL!!:nono:

LOL im serious! Not only does it not cut good, now it is missing and sputtering.

slplow
08-26-2004, 09:57 PM
You think exmark is over priced. A hustler52'' supper mini Z $8,800. A thousand more than the 52 hp. Also the hustler has a very shallow deck that does not cut as good as the hp.

odin
08-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I live scag walk behinds mine stripes great stock no roller .
Deck is pitched 1/4 inch rpms set at 3750 with the blades spinning

beransfixitinc
08-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Go to your local Gravely dealer and take a good look. The tires are huge, the frame is massive, the entire deck is 7ga steel and its a fairly simple design. Also the spindles are MUCH better than the Exmark spindles. I had to replace one on the exmark at only 600 hours and now at 1,700 hours the other 2 are going bad. In 3,200 hours on our Gravely Pro-50 we only ever had to replace 1 tranny.

Hmm.. how old in years exactly is your eXmark? I'm not sure if there is an hour limit, but I'm sure the year limit is still 3 years on the spindles. (within common sense usage)

Randy Scott
08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Don't buy exmarks then.

If a potential customer doesn't want to pay what I think I AM worth, I could care less if they go with me or not. Maybe exmark feels the same.

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Don't buy exmarks then.

If a potential customer doesn't want to pay what I think I AM worth, I could care less if they go with me or not. Maybe exmark feels the same.

Well Mr. Scott your post just about sums up exactly what I was reffering to. No danger of Exmark making a buck off of me. Your perception of value is obviously different than a "potential" customer correct.. At one time, ALL of your customers we're potential, were'nt they?? If a dealer can not demonstrate through product/service why I should spend money with them, I will find one who will... In my example above, the Toro rep went above and beyond what every other dealer within 100 miles of me did, It is VERY likely they will sell me a new mower soon....

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Well, I don't OWN a Exmark, but I WILL say this much. I looked at the Exmarks myself this year. I could find absolutely NO reason why I should give them the ludicrous price I was quoted for the various machines I checked out.. To top it off the dealer's overall attitude coupled with his less than enthusiastic respones when I asked to demo ( he basically said, " Trust me You'll like it, you can check it out in the back lot") on one of my customers properties'.... It's funny, just the day before yesterday, the Toro rep from Houston brought down THREE machine for me to demo on my own property! I didn't even really ask them to either, I just mentioned to them at an Expo, that since I didn't have a dealer nearby ( when I was buying, there is one now, and he is a pretty good guy ) that I didn't really consider them.. The rep said, " Well we've got a guy heading down there nexy week and he'll bring them by for you to demo"... NOW THAT is service, they knew I wouldn't be buying immediately, but took time to drive 35 miles out of their way for me to demo.

Sorry for the long story, but my point is.. You don't crap where you eat..If Exmark and their dealers won't compete, they will starve like they deserve to. Besides the Toro is an excellent machine ... Flame on.

The fact that you were just window shopping explains it all.
I wouldn't waste my time either.
Do you spend time with customers who are only price shopping or window shopping?
I doubt it.
Exmark dealers compete plenty.............with those that are serious about their product and services, others they don't need to bother with, they are wasting their time.
Mercedes, Cadillac, Harley Davidson............They don't care about walmart shoppers, they deal with serious people with serious intentions. It's a good way to run a business.
I'm not trying to crinkle your boxers, that's just the way I see it.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by beransfixitinc
Hmm.. how old in years exactly is your eXmark? I'm not sure if there is an hour limit, but I'm sure the year limit is still 3 years on the spindles. (within common sense usage)

It is 5 years old and the first spindle was replace under warranty.

ProStreetCamaro
08-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Please everybody im not saying exmark is a bad product. I am just saying there price is way more than I feel they are worth when I can go get a Gravely which is a better built unit that cuts just as good for alot less money. Gravely is also awsome if you ever do have a problem. I had a problem with a dealer and Gravely pulled there products from that dealer! They called me after I emailed them and I spoke with the district manager in my area about the problem and he pulled the product's and asked me if I had a dealer that I would recommend. Just so happens my friend sell's power equipment so they are working out a deal with him.

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Glad to hear you clarify that you are not willing to pay the cost.
A mercedes cost more than a Geo metro, or a BMW cost the same as a lexus...............You decide what level you are at and
move on accordingly.
It is true that manufacturers are much more competitive with the exmark product line and exmark has ares that can be improved upon as well.
Bottom line...........They sold the most commercial mowers last year for a reason. It isn't just a percieved reason either.

You buy Gravely's I'll buy Exmark's.
We'll both be happy.
I'll bow out of the peeing match at this time...........................LOL!

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 11:46 PM
The fact that you were just window shopping explains it all.
I wouldn't waste my time either.
Do you spend time with customers who are only price shopping or window shopping?
I doubt it.
Exmark dealers compete plenty.............with those that are serious about their product and services, others they don't need to bother with, they are wasting their time.
Mercedes, Cadillac, Harley Davidson............They don't care about walmart shoppers, they deal with serious people with serious intentions. It's a good way to run a business.
I'm not trying to crinkle your boxers, that's just the way I see it.

Window shopping, eh? With 10 grand in hand?? I hardly think so..But as you stated.. You, and Exmark as well as their dealer's are welcome to believe what you want to....

Kelly's Landscaping
08-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Your 44 lazer quote is a tad high I bought one this june with the larger 20 hp kohler motor and I only paid 6099 for my baby.

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by txlawnking
NOW THAT is service, they knew I wouldn't be buying immediately, but took time to drive 35 miles out of their way for me to demo.

10,000 in hand?
That's not what this says............

dvmcmrhp52
08-26-2004, 11:57 PM
[It is VERY likely they will sell me a new mower soon.... [/B]

Or this.

pcnservices
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
EXMARK GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @$$ because there is other equipment that is just as good if not better at a cheaper price!
Oooo! I waited for this one! You're right - what is it that makes Exmark so superior?

txlawnking
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Dvm, you are really reaching aren't you? Since you do not know what you are talking about with regards to my equipment purchases, Please allow me to explain: I had ten thousand dollars budgeted to get equipment at my start up. I have spent that on a 52" Surfer, an enclosed trailer, a 21" Snapper ( a poor choice my my own admission, Not the mower's fault, but mine as a larger mower would be in my best interests, but we'll get to that) and all of my 2 stroke equipment. As to the Toro deal, again read my previous post. I will be needing a 32-36" Gated property mower sometime between now and next season.

In the future, please refrain from talking out of your ass about things you are not fully educated on:) Please.

dvmcmrhp52
08-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Dvm, you are really reaching aren't you? Since you do not know what you are talking about with regards to my equipment purchases, Please allow me to explain: Ihad ten thousand dollars budgeted to get equipment at my start up. I have spent that on a 52" Surfer, an enclosed trailer, a 21" Snapper ( a poor choice my my own admission, Not the mower's fault, but mine as a larger mower would be in my best interests, but we'll get to that) and all of my 2 stroke equipment. As to the Toro deal, again read my previous post. I will be needing a 32-36" Gated property mower sometime between now and next season.

In the future, please refrain from talking out of your ass about things you are not fully educated on:) Please.

Just re quoting your own words sir.

txlawnking
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Cute, and your point is?

dvmcmrhp52
08-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Don't know what I am talking about?
Hmmm.
Tell me again how many exmark's you have and how many accounts you service.

And I will requote again..............."I HAD $10,000 BUDGETED for equipment purchases."

Budgeted does not mean spending in the here and now. The dealer knew that.
I'll refrain from further comment, you obviously have it figured out........................

txlawnking
08-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Again, read my posts carefully. I do not own an Exmark, nor do I have an axe to grind with the company. My entire point is, you don't tell someone with 10 thousand dollars cash sitting in their back pocket, "No, I won't demo it on your property, Take it out back, trust me, You'll like it" , now would you? You see, I buy equipment on a basis of value, If a $ 5,000 machine makes me as much money as a $10,000 one, with the same dealer support, please tell me why I would give the other dealer an extra $5,000?? Because he's such a great guy?? But, again, YOU have it all figured out, don't you?

GrassBustersLawn
08-27-2004, 01:00 AM
PROSTREET

I run a 48" LazerHP & love it. Mine also has 1700+ hours on it. Never had a problem with SPINDLES! Makes me wonder, do you BALANCE the blades when you sharpen them? I blew alot of $ on a MagnaMatic balancer, but maybe I've saved that much & more on spindles!

I have a Toro Z-147 44". I've run it side by side with my Lazer. The Lazer puts the Superflow deck to shame. Worth the money IMHO.

Mike

Kelly's Landscaping
08-27-2004, 01:09 AM
If a $ 5,000 machine makes me as much money as a $10,000 one, with the same dealer support, please tell me why I would give the other dealer an extra $5,000??

Oh I am dying to hear this I assume your exaggerating but in case youíre not what mower cost 10k and what 5k mower was just as good. And I have tried a surfer and they arenít in the same league as a ZTR their not even the same sport.

Envy Lawn Service
08-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Well... I have a lasting comment on this one... maybe a comment to put an end to this thread...

In truth I think all these commercial mowers cost too friggin much for what they are. They're just lawnmowers... And we are all stupid for paying what we do for them... but we gotta have them...

Ever really thought about what it might cost the MFG to build them v/s what we pay for them?

txlawnking
08-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Really? I di pay $4500 dollars for a new, leftover 52" Surfer. As to not being in the same "league" I agree, at least partially. I have a love/hate deal with this particular piece of equipment. It IS underpowered, and the deck IS a worth less buzzard, IMO. However, I do like the concept of a stand up machine. I've used sit down ZTR's extensively, and other than fatigue on a real large property, I really don't see a big advantage to sitting down.

Again, this is not a beef with Exmark in particular, although they do stick in my mind as being the worst about lots of $$$ for nothing "special" I can say on the other hand, that the Turbo Force equiped Toro's, are an EXCELLENT machine, primarily because of the deck's ability to both cut through heavy growth, and then still leave an impressive, beautiful, cut. For the record, when I did purchase at my start up, there were many machine's that I demoed.. Of them the closest "in price" to the Surfer ( which I belive is @ $6,000, list ) was a Land Pride, at $6229, Followed by a Bad boy @ $6500.. I am not really trying to split hairs here, I'm just saying that ALL of these machines will cut grass, some better than others.. It boils down to what YOU want. I service/repair my own equipment so as long as a dealer can at least keep parts on hand, I'm pretty happy. And with this, I am done with this thread.....

Shadetree Ltd
08-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Get over it guys. The mower is only as good as the dealer when you might need service. And don't think that if you buy x brand of mower you will never need service anyway. There are times the call of service is needed if you were in an accident while towing your mowers or if your equipment gets stolen.

As for the price, the manufacturers simply are charging what the market will bear, if you don't run your business in a similar fashion you are working too hard for too little money. Besides, a $8,000 machine can net me six figures a year, not a bad investment.

Scott

PS. I currently own 5 Exmarks and have no reason to even consider looking at other brands.

Runner
08-27-2004, 03:34 AM
I think this last comment about the dealers pretty much sums it up. I've heard bad things about some big dealers, and good things about some gas station/hardware store dealers. We have two Exmark dea;ers somewhat near us that are second to none, and yet another that is about 2 hours away that isn't worth the hill of beans, from what I understand. I know I wasn't impressed with them whan I went in there and was doing some research about their stock and service.
Another thing, at the beginning of this thread, alot of reference about Graely was being made, about how much of a better deal these are. This is really a bad example to use as a comparison in a way, because Gravely has always, and is now especially, a high bang for the buck product. pound for pound, penny for penny, these newer Gravelys are an awesome value. Personally, I like the Exmarks, but I wouldn't have any trouble with the new Gravely Z's, since I've seen what they do, and they are not shabby.

Forest
08-27-2004, 05:07 AM
Exmark, Priceless. For everything else there's Mastercard.:D

sawman65
08-27-2004, 07:44 AM
so here we go again bashing exmark. well i am a dealer for exmark.and yes they are one of the more costly brands and i will agree that they have a better than attitude. they are proud and
should be.i hear many horror tales on here.abought how exmark
would not give me a demo or exmark would not come down on price exmak this and exmark that.guys take a look at the dealer
99.9% of what i hear bad on exmark is not exmark's fault its the dealer if a dealer don't stock a large number of units then he cant afford to sell them at discount priceing a lot of the other mang.
are selling to get a name right now the market is flooded with ztrs
scag fell to this also just look at the pumps and motors they are now useing i am not saying the are bad or dont work just cheaper
i have been a exmark dealer for 12 years and they have not had a price hike in a long time but the cost of steel has gone up and it has hit everybody hard and i mean everybody .
i also sell hustler and they went up i also sell dixie chopper and they are going up this year also the only time i have seen a mower price go down on my bottom line is because the mang.
started to use lesser quality parts and componets if you as a customer can deal with lower quality than so be it.

kris
08-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by sawman65
but the cost of steel has gone up and it has hit everybody hard and i mean everybody .

Isnt that the truth...holy moly! The price they now want for a 50lb box of 12"common nails...YIKES! Gone up 15 bucks a box in the last month or so!

BTW... I love exmark and the dealer support we get.

John Gamba
08-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
John, I had one of those and absolutely hated it. When I bought my Exmark 36 the Gravely spent a lot more time on the trailer than the Exmark did.

You cant compare an older gravely with a newer exmark. i liked my exmarks over the old gravely too. the older gravely would cut weeds when the exmarks had a hard time with that. i was comparing the older scag and older gravely.
John

ProStreetCamaro
08-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Guys think about it this way. I can go buy a new car for $11,000 which has MUCH more steel, bigger motor, much more complex to design and manufacture. It doesnt cost them NEARLY what you think it does to make a ZTR.

Steve1
08-27-2004, 09:33 AM
When I was first shopping for a ZTR, I looked at all the majors. I really liked the exMark because it was extremely heavy built but the first dealer I visited also sold Gravely, which was what brought me to his dealership initially.

After looking at the Gravely (and he would not offer a demo either) he showed me a Lazer Z sitting next to it. He offered me the Gravely PM260Z for $8100 out the door, tax, extra blades and the Liftmaster included but wanted an extra $1200 (total of $9300!) :eek: :eek: for the Lazer Z.

"Why is it that much more?" I asked him, stunned that there was so much more difference.

"Because exMark has a bigger share of the business, they cost more."

I thought he was nuts but hey, what did I know at that time? Not much, really. I just knew that I liked the exMark a little better - but definitely NOT $1200 better.

Both units were 27hp Kohlers with 60" decks. So... I said, "I'll check around a little." He gave me a "Whatever" sort of shoulder shrug and I left, not really sure what to think of his attitude about selling a product.

So, I shopped around a bit more, did some research, read a lot on this website, and then found another exMark dealer a little farther away. I also went and visited the local Toro dealer who did offer to demo a Z557 which I took him up on. However, his price for the Toro was almost as much as for the exMark. I could see a LOT of similarities between the two so I really didn't give it much thought.

I kept demoing and searching. I ultimately found another exMark and another Toro dealer and guess what? The prices were MUCH, MUCH lower!

I was priced the Lazer Z for $7300-$7400 (plus tax) and Toro for $7500 plus tax - a difference (for the VERY SAME MODEL AND YEAR MACHINE) of almost $1500.

I ended up after all the demoing was done liking the Deere 777 best of all for a variety of reasons so that was ultimately what I bought. The dealer had a huge part to play in my choice.

So my bottom line is that it is the DEALER who will make or break your deal for you, not the manufacturer. exMark, Toro, Gravely, Deere, Hustler, etc - they are ALL great machines and manufacturers. But it is the DEALER you buy from; it is the DEALER who will (or won't) service you; and it is the DEALER who will (or won't) stock parts to take care of your needs.

Blame it on the dealers if you are unhappy or give them credit if you are thrilled because ultimately, THEY will make or break your deal and overall ownership experience in the end.

Randy Scott
08-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Guys think about it this way. I can go buy a new car for $11,000 which has MUCH more steel, bigger motor, much more complex to design and manufacture. It doesnt cost them NEARLY what you think it does to make a ZTR.

Wow, now you are a manufacturing expert. Interesting.

Comparing a vehicle that sells millions to a lawnmower that sells thousands is pretty lame. There may be a little something called VOLUME.

Who do you think costs an employer more? An assembly line technician at a major auto manufacturer, or at a mower manufacturer? Yet cars are cheap in relation?

How many Toyota Camry's are driving down the road in relation to a Lazer on a property? Do you think Toyota has more or less buying power than exmark?

Your problem is with a dealer, not exmarks equipment. Buy what you want and move on.

rotgg
08-27-2004, 03:52 PM
all we run is exmark and thats all i will run until someone comes out with something better

John Gamba
08-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by rotgg
all we run is exmark and thats all i will run until someone comes out with something better

SOON BUD VERY SOON!!!!!!
John

ProStreetCamaro
08-27-2004, 06:44 PM
SOON BUD VERY SOON!!!!!!
John

LOL would you enlighten us John as to whats come SOON?

Fareway Lawncare
08-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Hopefully the Prices Stay Sky High for Commercial Mowing Equip.... Less Scrubs can Afford the Good Stuff or Will Take the Plunge into Mowing....

Would be nice if they Added another 1k to the Price of All Riders & Walks...Tax Write-off anyway....Who really Cares is you save a few $$$ on a Machine that Produces your Livelihood.....Buy the Best...Screw the Rest !

Hizoot
08-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I just have to jump in here. I dont mean any disrespect but , I have seen this comment alot . "Its a tax write off..." I am not an LCO, but I do own a HVAC business , and have been doing this for 27 years.
Your equipment is a tax write off, for sure, but you need to realize your spending a dollar to save 30+ cents, plus depreciation. Equipment / tools make you money and we cant do our job without'em....but all costs affect the bottom line. So the better the price you can pay for your equipment, the better the bottom line.
BAck to stealth mode......and I enjoy your forum!!! I have learned alot and just bought a Exmark 20/48 HP to save some time on my property.