PDA

View Full Version : sod cutter vs. aerator

Old Red
08-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Today I cut the sod off of what has passed for a lawn but is actually a rock quarry covered with weeds, on a hillside to boot. I read all these posts about getting beat up by a Bluebird aerator. I'd much rather have been chasing bluebirds than wrestling the Ryan sodcutter.

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 03:25 AM
What will you do with this project? Will you remove the rocky crap and bring in soil? Or till in soil? Or top with soil? Or just lay sod and go? I have customers with lawns growing on crap like that and was wondering about the options. The best being the most expensive of course. I have a neighbour who had a landscape architect tell him to remove the top 5 inches of crap he had and replace it with great soil and he did it. Now has awsome low maintenance lawn and beautiful beds.

Old Red
08-29-2004, 06:22 AM
This 'lawn' needs topsoil but the the homeowners say they can't afford it; they just want a yard they can run a mower on. I suspect that when the home was built, less than ten years, a final grade was done by a local farmer with a disc and some contractors mix was thrown on. I've smoothed the grade and raked much of the surface stone off. I'm going to see if I can till it without bringing up too much more stone. Then I'll rake again and seed it.