PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the good gas cans?

CJ GreenScapes
08-26-2004, 09:57 PM
I have a beef with the current state of the gas can market. The only cans I can find now are the Blitz Ventless - and they suck! I mean the most simple piece of equipment I have is my gas can - and it is also the most frustrating.

Does anyone know where I can get a "good" gas can? I have checked every hardware and superstore in a 20 mile radius, but they all cary Blitz - who absolutely OWNS the market here. All I want is for my gas to flow freely from a simple little container to my tank. How hard can that be?

Thank you. I feel better now.

Evan528
08-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I cant stand the new cans either. My 10 year old plastic cans are getting pretty beat up. I got very lucky earlier in the year when one of my suppliers found a few of the old style vented cans in the back of there warehouse. I bought 4 of them! I have bought the new ones and they wind up sitting in my shop as they are useless.

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 10:03 PM
I know what you mean... The same deal around here.. They are pricey, but at my local O'rielly Auto parts stores they have the old Metal "jerry" cans... For @$26 apiece though....

DFW Area Landscaper
08-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Yup. I agree 100%. And the 'old' style bungee cord with the metal clips on the ends can't be found anymore either. The new ones with the plastic ends won't fit through the steel mesh my trailer very easily.

I guess the plaintiff's attorneys have been hard at work.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Mark Lawncare
08-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Sad but true. To find a good plastic can you have to go to yardsales or the dump.

GreenMonster
08-26-2004, 10:12 PM
How about the metal "safety" cans with the funnel that connects to the opening?

GreenMonster
08-26-2004, 10:13 PM
oh yeah, blitz suck.

CJ GreenScapes
08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
Yup. I agree 100%. And the 'old' style bungee cord with the metal clips on the ends can't be found anymore either. The new ones with the plastic ends won't fit through the steel mesh my trailer very easily.

I guess the plaintiff's attorneys have been hard at work.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Thanks DFW, you just reminded me of something else I am pissed about - those **** plastic tipped bungees! :angry:

A.J.'s Lawn Service
08-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Around here they have the no spill cans which i like a lot

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Getteth thyself to Tractor Supply Company, I do believe they have all of the "old style" Bungee's you could want.. At least locally they do.

GeeVee
08-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Get the Ford tool and a screwdriver out, them Blitz cans can be "Modified"

Tom-N-Texas
08-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Here's what you need.

Go to Walmart to the camping section. There you will find big 5 gallon blue water containers with white spouts. They look very much like a gas can (same plastic material) but they are more of a square shape (which makes them less likely to tip over). Also they have a very convenient poor spout. Hard to explain on here but the spout is only about 2 inches long and it makes sort of an upside-down capital "L" shape so you can barely tip the can over and easily poor directly into your mower's gas tank. (The spout kind of looks like a water spicket you might see on someones house)

They cost about $8 and they are worth every penny.

printer88
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I agree SSLC the flea market is a good place to look too.Luckily I have all kinds of good cans out in the barn.Also I bought a blitz cause I like wasting my money on stuff I don't need,And they do very badly SUCK.

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-27-2004, 12:05 AM
i think i'll somehow make the old style gas cans and sell them on here.

no i wont, but some one can and i'll buy them!

txlawnking
08-27-2004, 12:08 AM
I think I'll just start using the cans they sell you to put race gas in.. Plus, they sell these nice funnels with a fine stainless screen in them..

OnHandLawnCare
08-27-2004, 12:18 AM
what bout the ones from Home Depot? Plastice one handle on top one on side

are thsoe the blitz?

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-27-2004, 12:24 AM
OnHandLawnCare, the blitz are the ones that are red plastic, with the handles on top and side, but the nozzles are screw on and only have a yellow cap to cover them and dont have the little... hole at the back for a vent, hence, ventless gas cans. if you have some in your neck of the woods that dont say ventless, buy them all and i'll go pick up a few. another good way to check is to look in the nozzle and it looks like it splits in half, upper and lower halves. if it doesn't have that, then its the oldschool good gas cans.

OnHandLawnCare
08-27-2004, 12:31 AM
they also sell them in blue. use those for mix.

I really liked the square bottom shaped ones they use to carry.

FrankenScagMachines
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
I think I'll just start using the cans they sell you to put race gas in..
I saw one of those just today at Advance Auto Parts. 2.5 gallon capacity racing style (think it had Nascar stickers on it) for $20!!!
I have a few of the "old style" Blitz's plastic ones and i've been very happy. We have a 5 gallon one several years old from wal mart i guess and at a truckload tool sale a couple years ago i got a set that was a 6 gallon and 1 gallon cans sold together for i think $6 lol (new ones, at those Cummins or Homier Distributing cheapo tool sales). Then i later aquired a 2 gallon Blitz. I primarily use the 6 gallon and 2 gallon ones (straight and mixed fuel). I like them alot actually. They have the flexible spout that you slide out (unscrew cover and pull out the spout then open your vent, pour to your hearts content then tip it down, slide in the flexible clear spout and shut the vent and your done). These are my favorite cans actually. Think i saw some recently just like them i guess i'll start snatching them up and save or resale to you guys! i didn't realize styles had changed. Mine are getting faded and the vent cap broke off on the 6 gallon one but other than that it's working out well.
This pic is of the 2 gallon and 6 gallon Blitz cans i have (circled in blue). I like that the 6 gallon one has a handle on top and on the side. nice for handling it easier. the 5 gallon one just has a handle on top.

jphag
08-27-2004, 01:44 AM
No, but when you find out let me know.

John

IMPACT
08-27-2004, 01:51 AM
We have been really happy with the No Spill cans. The ones we use have a check valve to stop flow when the tank you are filling is full. Even the regular No Spill cans are simple to use: tip up the can, push the green button, dispense gas and let off.Check them here: www.nospill.com

I am patiently waiting for the new 5 gallon can this September at the Expo...

Runner
08-27-2004, 02:11 AM
WOW! I have been out of the realm awhile, I guess. I had NO IDEA this was going on, and had never noticed. I'll start paying attention to what's being sold out there. What happened? Are there new ANSI or OSHA standards in effect that these old style cans are no longer being sold, or what? I think I would HAVE to modify one and insert a rubber plug if all I had available is the new style. There just isn't enough time in the day to have it vented. Granted, I seldomely use the larg 5 gallon can, as this is the one I use for straight gas. I usually just fly into a station if I haven't fueled up that morning to fuel the machines. It's much faster for me. For my 2 stroker gas, I just use a 2 1/2 gal. plastic can, as it's much easier to handle. That, of course, has to be vented, too.
I'll keep an eye out for the bungee thing, too. I always just use the black rubber ones with the steel S hooks. Are these the ones that you are refering to? Thanks for the info!

LwnmwrMan22
08-27-2004, 06:58 AM
I just took a drill to the ventless can and made my own vent, problem solved.

KenH
08-27-2004, 07:35 AM
I bought 2 of the metal cans with the attached yellow funnel the beginning of this season. One BIG problem with the attached funnel is alot of dirt/dust sticks inside the funnel when it is not used, then when you pour out the gas, guess where all this debris ends up????

The C Man
08-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Tom-N-Texas
Go to Walmart to the camping section. There you will find big 5 gallon blue water containers with white spouts

You can't legally store gas in a water container. There have been discussions about this in the past.

BobR
08-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Great gas cans can be gotten from www.awdirect.com I have had mine (2) for three years now and not one problem. I use one for two cycle mix and the other for straight gas (backup for the big mowers). Just do a search for "gas can" and a list of products will pop up. I purchased the fc-25 (can) fc-27 (spout) & fc-35 mounting bracket. Good Stuff.

BobR

Gravely_Man
08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Hello, The C Man nailed it on the head. Please don't use water containers for gas. The EPA, the highway department and police will not like this.

Originally posted by The C Man
You can't legally store gas in a water container. There have been discussions about this in the past.

Gravely_Man

MMLawn
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Same as Lawnmwrman22 I just drilled a hole in the Ventless Blitz cans we bought this year and covered it with a tad of good old duct tape for opening and closing. The gas as we all know flows badly and spills in those cans because of them being not vented that can be opened and closed to help control the flow. Also if you check during a hot day those tanks will be almost round from the gas trying to expand in the container without a vent control. I have popped the caps off and gas fumes just flew out as the pressure released from the containers, sure seems that could be a problem. I did see some vented cans at I believe Northern Tool and if you have a Harbor Freight Tools near you I know they have bungees with the metal clips as I just bought a "tub" of 50 there.

QC Lawn Services
08-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Just found a new gas can from Briggs and Stratton http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gas_can.cfm. It is only a 2.5 gal, but I like the handles on the top and the back.

The C Man
08-27-2004, 12:13 PM
This isn't directed at you, QC Lawn, but $20 for a 2.5 gallon plastic can is ridiculous.

QC Lawn Services
08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't disagree C man, I just thought the can looked like a good one and would be easy to handle.

arcticdog4
08-27-2004, 03:53 PM
i started off with blitz, then went to wedco. wedco is much better

rdran5
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Try Northern Hydraulic, pretty sure they have both styles.

CJ GreenScapes
08-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Wow, I'm glad to know I am not alone in my quest for a simple vented gas can. Great suggestions here that I will check into... BTW, I did veny my Blitz cans, but the duct tape gets dirty and won't stick by the end of the day. Very frustrating....

gvandora
08-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by QC Lawn Services
Just found a new gas can from Briggs and Stratton http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gas_can.cfm. It is only a 2.5 gal, but I like the handles on the top and the back.

Does anyone know why these cans aren't allowed to be sold in Maryland? Anyone?

millerlc
08-27-2004, 06:13 PM
I needed some heavy duty plastic gas cans. I hate all these new shutoffs on the tanks and charging through the roof.
I bought 4 Five Gallon Scepter Plastic Gas cans for $40 totaled a little under $50 shipped to my door within a few days.
They are durable and safety shutoff free!
www.unclejoes.com
G (for gas can)