PDA

View Full Version : How to increase pressure?

jphag
08-27-2004, 01:18 AM
I was told by another sprinkler guy that I can increase pressure by tightening the screw on the pressure reducing valve found on the main water line. Is this o.k and what is the max I can increase to?

John

jerryrwm
08-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Partly true.

You will be allowing more pressure that is available on the upstream side of the reducing vavle to pass through and be available for the system.

Just remember when you adjust a reducing valve that is on the domestic water line, in addition to increasing the available pressure to the system you are also upping what is available in the house also.

Most pressure reducing valve have a range of 25 - 75 psi.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

SprinklerGuy
08-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Ask the homeowner first would be my suggestion...they may have it set that way for a reason......

Also...increasing the pressure may or may not help...as you probably already know....the volume of water through those regulators is greatly reduced....meaning if it is a 1 inch copper feed..you may or may not have the gpm you think you should once it goes through that regulator.....hmmmm?

In the past....depending on the city water pressure...I have bypassed the pressure regulator and run the sprinkler system off of the bypass...helps a lot in some cases.

DanaMac
08-27-2004, 09:46 AM
You can add a second regulator as well. One for the home and one for irrigation. You just need to know the correct spot for it. The one at the meter would be for the irrigation, and install a second after the tee, inline with water for home, for the home.

You can then set pressure different for each.

jphag
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Thaks for your help