PDA

View Full Version : business

jsfrk
08-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Would any of you deal with an independent contractor or person who finds you business?

For example.

I may have a shot to work with a company who has contracts with various commercial and residential clients. They mainly offer cleaning services, but they want to become a contractor and sub out those cleaning jobs as well as add a lawn and landscape division. I would still run my own show, but they would find some of the business and let me handle the lawn and landscape contracts. So I essentially become a sub contractor for them, paying them a slight percentage of the jobs that they provide for me. My question is, does this seem like a good or bad idea. It may sound confusing, so if it does, private message me and I will try and clarify it better. Obviously, I'd still find my own business as well.

Thanks.

cward
08-27-2004, 08:52 AM
jsfrk,
If you need the work, I think it is a great idea. When I first started mowing I did a similiar situation. I was a sub for a bigger contractor. It was a good arrangement. I used my equipment yet the clients paid him and in return he paid me. I never took any of his clients, BUT it did get me out in the public "eye" and helped me get started. The exposure helped me get several accounts. I don't do this anymore but it did help me get started.

jsfrk
08-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I just worry about getting cheated. Especially if they paid him. I think I would want to be paid and then I pay him.

jerryrwm
08-27-2004, 09:08 AM
I just worry about getting cheated. Especially if they paid him. I think I would want to be paid and then I pay him.

I think you might have answered your own question.

If you don't trust this person to do right and pay you like he said he will, then it's apparently not a good situation for you.

On the other hand, it is kinda nice to submit invoices to one entity, and not have to chase all over hell and back to get paid. Set up payment terms before hand, and get things down in writing.

Jerry

cward
08-27-2004, 10:01 AM
I was lucky, a hand shake and we were in business. If you're worried about getting paid, ask to be paid every two weeks. When I did it, I was as professional as I could be to the clients, treated them as if they were mine. For the most part, they all thought I worked for the other company. I still think it is worth a try.

fcl01
08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
First things first, see what kind of name the other contractor has in your area. You can learn alot from his former clients, even though you'll only hear one side of the story.

Second, work only with a contract. No matter how nice and trusting they appear, if they can cheat you in any way, they will. Its happened to all of us at one point in time, and we've all cheated someone else too.