PDA

View Full Version : clean up jobs? what are they worth and are they worth it?

slikrick
08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
I'm just starting out and all i have been doing for the past month is clean ups and a out of those ive been able to get 2 lawns to cut. now ive been pretty much weeeding mulch beds and laying new mulch which the customers payed for. but it doesnt seem to be a residual income job so ive been charging anywhere from $30 to $35 an hour for the job. do you guys think this is too high or to low or am i going about this in the wrong way? how do you all quote a job like that? i usually look at the job and estimate how long it will take me and then i quote it,,,,, been burned a few times on my time but i guess this is my learning curve.
thanks

Mark McC
08-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it is a learning process. One of the things one must take into account is the condition of the soil. If there are a lot of rocks or if the soil is just plain hard, it'll take a lot more time to deal with weeds and so on.

Depending on where you are in Florida, you may be able to demand more than $35 an hour. It's good that you don't tell your customers your hourly rate, but see if you can't nudge it up to $40. By the way, a lot of outfits get $60 per yard of mulch installed.

Mark

slikrick
08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
its a mulch bed and its just dirt under it.... i ripped a few up to see how it would come up and it seems to be pretty easy.... its a hugh bed though.... wraps around the whole back and sides of the house. now ive estimated it to take me atleast 15 hours, at say $35 is $525.00 .... to pull weeds? seems high to me but like i said im new to this so? however they do live on the water and i know they have money, i think anything higher than $35 would limit my chances of picking up the job.... bottom line, i need the work..... any more ideas or suggestions i should think of or do?

AuburnGuy
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
i usually get a better profit on cleanup type jobs and shrub trimming, unless i estimate it wrong. I try and never give an hourly rate. I just price the job.

slikrick
08-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AuburnGuy
i usually get a better profit on cleanup type jobs and shrub trimming, unless i estimate it wrong. I try and never give an hourly rate. I just price the job.

yes but how do you price it in your head? do you do it by how many hours you think it will take you and what you want to be paid per hour or do you throw the hourly wage out of your head and say x amount is a good deal?

AuburnGuy
08-27-2004, 03:18 PM
that is right. i figure how much i want to get per hour, then guess how many hours I think it will take. Add a little to that incase it takes longer. Then get a helper. IMO things like cleanups and shrubs are more than twice as fast with 2 people.

If i am unsure. I will give a range of what it will cost. I have just always felt that a customer would rather pay someone a certain amount of money for something rather than thinking 2-3 times thier hourly wage is too much for someone to work in thier yard.

Don't get me wrong. In the begining i got burned a few times, but I am getting better judging how long things take. This is only my second year part time. Its about leaf season again and i'm sure ill under-estimate a couple of leaf jobs until remember how much i don't like doing leaves and they are usually always worse than they look. Other people may have a better way, but that's how i do it.

Mark McC
08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
that is right. i figure how much i want to get per hour, then guess how many hours I think it will take. Add a little to that incase it takes longer. Then get a helper. IMO things like cleanups and shrubs are more than twice as fast with 2 people.

If i am unsure. I will give a range of what it will cost. I have just always felt that a customer would rather pay someone a certain amount of money for something rather than thinking 2-3 times thier hourly wage is too much for someone to work in thier yard.

Don't get me wrong. In the begining i got burned a few times, but I am getting better judging how long things take. This is only my second year part time. Its about leaf season again and i'm sure ill under-estimate a couple of leaf jobs until remember how much i don't like doing leaves and they are usually always worse than they look. Other people may have a better way, but that's how i do it.

So you DO have an hourly rate, don't you?

AuburnGuy
08-27-2004, 04:32 PM
I usually range between 50-60/hour if its just me.

slikrick
08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
I usually range between 50-60/hour if its just me.

wow! see i thought $35 to $40 , , 40 being high...... but dont really know around here and dont know enought lawn guys around here yet to get a good understanding. are there any out there around the st pete tampa area that could help? i just dont want to overprice them and shock them however it is messed up and they did already explain that they tried but dont even want to mess w/ it...... and like i said earlier, they do live on the water and have some money$$$$$ i was thinking of a helper as well, at like $10 an hour and atleast use them for one day...... $80 is worth it i think..... what do you guys pay help?

SCAG POWER
08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Clean up rates if doing hourly.Figure your self any type of help, like if you went to labor ready, then any one else that would help you .If you need a dumpster how much to deliver it , how much to empty it each trip that has to be figured into. How much profit do you want to have at the end of the job.Then leave a little room for any extras that may come up.:alien:

fcl01
08-27-2004, 06:27 PM
your hourly rate is low to me. but you need to figure out how much you want to make. i just got a cleanup for fall. bed edging,(approx. 80 ft.x3ft. beds)4-5 yds. mulch, 1 bag fert on lawn, weeding,pruning, hedging etc. Guessing 5hrs., 2 guys, no heavy equip. 5 min drive.$1200.00

littlenic
08-28-2004, 02:01 PM
I use 85.00 per hour for 2 men with equipment, 35 for each additional man. I also don't have a problem with telling my customers what I charge. I quote a range of time I think it's going to take and what I charge per man hour for it. I have only had one person say anything about how much it was, most of the times I hear them tell me that seems fair.

Thats just what I've found so far.

littlenic