PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to start a lawn service in michigan,need some advice!!

big tim afm
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Can any one tell me how to start a small lawn service need a little advice,tax id number,small buisness application,any advice would be helpful and appreciated! "BIG TIM NEVER GIVES UP"

Rick Jones
08-27-2004, 12:36 PM
My advice: Don't do it if your market is oversaturated.

nova385
08-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Go for a ride in your truck tonight and count how many lawn mowers you see in the back of a truck or a trailer. I will not even get to the corner of Davison and Irish before seeing one.

Just make sure you have some work to do and dont charge up a bunch of equipment (pay cash).

Go to the Genesee Co. court. (Flint) Give them your $20 for a DBA and off you go.

I cut in the Davison area and there is so many mowers running around it is not funny.

Good Luck!

Kevinrmac
08-27-2004, 01:39 PM
How do you know if your market is oversaturated? I too am looking to start up down in Virginia... when I drive around I see tons of trucks with trailers and mowers. Sometimes tt's hard to tell how many of them are just in it for a little cash on the side, and aren't going to last, and how many of them are also just starting out, and haven't bought a lot of equipment yet. Obviously the more serious guys with 2-3 dixies, a rack of trimmers, blowers, and misc other stuff, and 2-3 guys in the truck, you can assume are trying to stick around a while. There are a lot of lawns to mow, but sometimes it seems like there are 2 twice as many people willing to mow them. sorry to ramble....

Trevors Lawn Care
08-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Theres really no way of judging if your market is saturated without actually being in the business.

I was stopped at a light, about two weeks ago, and there were 5 of us lawn monkeys at the stop. Wednesday, there were 4 rigs in a row all turned on to the same street..

With that being said.......This is my first year, and i just signed account number 51. I cant take on any more business this year. If your marketing plan is well thought out, you can be as successful as you want.

Trevor

big tim afm
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the advice! BIG TIM "NEVER GIVES UP"

Expert Lawns
08-29-2004, 07:03 PM
hey nova, what kind of trucks/equipment do you run? i'm in the davison area on tuesdays. you're right, can't go a mile without passing a few LCOs

Branching Out
08-29-2004, 07:25 PM
As with any business. There will always be competition.

Think about this the next time your at your local grocery store. Why is there another one across the street or down the block? Or, maybe even a half a dozen or so in a 5 mile radius......Why do they have 7-11's so close to each other?

I feel compitition is a good thing. Especially if you are better than they are ( Build a better mouse trap). It will also help keep you on top of your game, because one slip, and they'll take your customer.........:cry:

Branching out .................

nova385
08-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Expert-

Im a solo op. I run a 61" turf tiger, 48" Farris walk behind, have dethatcher, over-seeder, blowers trimmers all that mess.

I only do this part time and have about 19 lawns. I cant keep up with any more than that with my full time job @ GM.

Most of my work is is in Davison- some in GB.

Expert Lawns
08-30-2004, 12:00 PM
gotcha. i'm mostly in davison, gb and fenton