PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS1000 questions?

AuburnGuy
08-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I have the 21/48 ferris. I have some questions

1. I was looking into their triple bag fast-vac. Is it easy to take on and off? does it work well? I have an accelerator right now, but sometimes it will only fill a little over half full if the grass is the slightes bit damp. I am also covered in grass everytime i use it. Will it be less dusty?

2. I don't stripe grass, but i have thought about putting a roller on the back of the deck to keep it from scalping(especially when backing up. it may even make a smoother cut.

Has anyone used the mulch kit they make? How well does this mower mulch? Side discharging makes a huge mess sometimes and i fell like i spend a lot more time trying to blow it all off.

Thanks larry

cward
08-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Maybe Playboy will see this, he has a Ferris. If noone replies, try sending him a PM.

Tider6972
08-27-2004, 02:21 PM
cward, educate me about your mowers, please !

I have 'about' decided to buy a PM34Z as a small/gate mower, instead of a 32" WB, to compliment a 60. I don't want to have a 21 or a walk behind at all! I know the PM34Z has hill and slope limitations.

When do you find that you use your 32"WB and when do you use the 34Z? Could you do without your 32", or do have hills that require you to keep it? ...or other reasons?

Thanks for any info you can offer ! I have been looking for someone with these two mowers so that I can get real world advise !

Thanks,
Steve

ProStreetCamaro
08-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tider6972
cward, educate me about your mowers, please !

I have 'about' decided to buy a PM34Z as a small/gate mower, instead of a 32" WB, to compliment a 60. I don't want to have a 21 or a walk behind at all! I know the PM34Z has hill and slope limitations.

When do you find that you use your 32"WB and when do you use the 34Z? Could you do without your 32", or do have hills that require you to keep it? ...or other reasons?

Thanks for any info you can offer ! I have been looking for someone with these two mowers so that I can get real world advise !

Thanks,
Steve

Good choice on the PM34Z. WE got 1 a month ago. Great mower and built like a tank. We also have a 48"lazer and a 36" walk behind. You pretty much have to have a walk behind if you have any hills. ZTR's and hills dont go well together. Out of our 70 lawns we have 3 with hills that we have to use the WB but other than that only the 34Z and 48" lazer leave the trailor.

cward
08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Steve,
In all honesty, I use my 21" Exmark more than I do my 32" W.B. I use my 32" on yards that are very hilly or landscaped that the 34Z has trouble negotiating. But all in all, the 32" sits 98% of the time. I primarily mow residential yards and only have one gate the 34Z won't go through. (I know this sounds bad, but I take the chute off for that one.) If you are going to buy one or the other, go with the 34Z. If you get the 34Z let me know how you like it. I love mine and plan on keeping it for a long time.

cward
08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Street,
What kind of blades are you running on your 34Z? At first, I had a huge mess with the discharge and the size of the grass coming out. Gators, raptors and the gravely hi-lift didn't help with the discharge problem. I was having to mow and then hit it a second time to clean it up. On a limb, I put a set of Dixie Chopper X-blades with gators on and magically, problem resolved. I don't like running double blades, but for now, the yards look good.

ProStreetCamaro
08-27-2004, 03:46 PM
I just run the blades that came on it. They dont look like high lift. I have no problem with discharge on mine. Dunno what the problem is with you.

AuburnGuy
08-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Bumping this back up. It kind of got off the original question.

grasssin
08-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Auburn Guy

How is the Ferris doing? Business picking up since you got it?

One more week until La Monroe!!

War Eagle!!

CJ GreenScapes
08-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Auburn Guy and Grassin,

War Damn Eagle!

Envy Lawn Service
08-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I thought Ferris didn't make a mulch kit??????????????

AuburnGuy
08-29-2004, 08:02 AM
grassin - The ferris is doing pretty well. I only use the walkbenind on 2 yards now. Buisiness is also doing good. I'm up to 31 or 32 yards part time. So i'm working a lot. I'm excited about some football. flag football starts up here in a couple of weeks also.

Envy - I did not think they made a mulch kit also. I called Ferris and they gave me a part number and said it normally runs $159. They said it was an actuall kit, not just a plate.

I think i would rather try and get the bagger. I have some yards that just grow way to much in a week and are nothing but a mess. if not bagged. I know frankenscags (Eric) has one, but i'm not sure about anyone else.