PDA

View Full Version : Your Touch to the Perfect Lawn....

greeneakers04
08-27-2004, 03:11 PM
What is it that you do to make each lawn "perfect"? Something that you feel is a trademark for your work? That finishing touch. Just curious to see what each of us takes pride in....

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-27-2004, 03:19 PM
well obviously striping....making sure that the edge where the sidewalk meets the grass gets beveled with the string trimmer....

flowers and lots of them...red white and blue

Ability
08-27-2004, 06:01 PM
It is all in the trim work!

I have seen too many LCOs in such a hurry with the trimmer that it looks like a so so job. I take longer per lawn and trim it right.

In fact, I have had people call me on my day off to ask how I did the trim work. Of course I said it was an old family secret. Then I would see them peeping out the windows the next time I cut their lawn. :-)

Expert Lawns
08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
i don't leave untill i'm satisfied. i've held myself to a higher standard for so long that it just comes as second nature now.

PLM-1
08-27-2004, 08:55 PM
it's all in the trimming and straight lines...i double trim and it ALWAYS looks great. trim vertical then come back and make sure it is level with rest of the grass.

DennisF
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
I pay particularly close attention to the areas where grass meets pavement ( street, walks, driveway) and make sure those areas are detailed. Landscape beds edged and paved surfaces blown completely clean of all clippings and dirt.

Lawn-Scapes
08-27-2004, 09:05 PM
I used to try to be perfect... no longer. Over-all general appearance should be better than most of the competition.. but not perfect.

fcl01
08-27-2004, 09:21 PM
no clumps in grass. I see alot of companies in my area(not just scrubs) leave clumps all over the lawn. it makes you wander how they keep clients

pjslawncare/landscap
08-27-2004, 09:32 PM
My finishing touch is when I come to collect (Bobby style)

"Look buddy, gonna pay up or what!"

GreenMonster
08-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Good replies.

I agree on edging and grass clumps. I see a lot of LCO's leaving clumps too, and just don't get it.:confused:

chefdrp
08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
clumps gone and no windrows. i see tons of both. some will do great edging while most dont.

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I pride myself on my edges. I also think that making sure everything is blown off well is a often overlooked big deal.

I want EVERYTHING blown within 6 feet of the curb to the back of the property, all hard surfaces, around garage doors, doors ways, ledges, you name it. And not just blowing the clippings we put there, all the debris that has accumlated over the past week. When I do property inspections the first thing I look at is hard surfaces. If things aren't blown off properly it's the first thing I mention to the lead.

When my customer pulls into their driveway I want everything to look perfect so they rememeber why they send me a check every month.

stevo22
08-28-2004, 12:19 AM
i leave my mark (signature), on each of my lawns by turning the trimmer up on it's side and cutting my initial's into the front lawn...

S C P

pretty easy to do...just takes a second to maintain it after it is done a couple of times...

Envy Lawn Service
08-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
i don't leave untill i'm satisfied. i've held myself to a higher standard for so long that it just comes as second nature now.
Likewise... I do the same. However, I have limited that to what I'm PAID to do and I let certain pesky things go...

DennisF,

How do you go about cleaning up heavy overgrowth at the edge of paved streets? Many guys around here do not edge. So any accounts I pick up were the grass has had a chance to creep up over the pavement will be in bad condition.

I've cleaned up one along a paved drive, which was a royal pain! I maintain an 'edge' there now which is also a pain due to slinging pavement debris and the fact it's seldom straight....

Anyways, since you maintain these areas I'm sure you understand perfectly about the challanges. Any pointers???

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 01:12 AM
I do what I get paid to do.. $30 lawn gets 30 mins of my time.. Not a minute more..

You can't sink to a level of perfection spending an hour on a $30 lawn.. That is pointless.. Although it might look good, you have to put food on your table..

printer88
08-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
I do what I get paid to do.. $30 lawn gets 30 mins of my time.. Not a minute more..

You can't sink to a level of perfection spending an hour on a $30 lawn.. That is pointless.. Although it might look good, you have to put food on your table..

I agree totally!I have better things to do than hand out freebies everywhere I go. Cut it,trim it,blow it and move on.

TClawn
08-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping

I agree to a certain extent but when I leave a lawn I want everything to look perfect when the customer comes home from work. I'll also do little "freebees" if it doesn't take to long. like rolling up the hose or pulling a couple weeds out of the beds.

Expert Lawns
08-28-2004, 02:16 PM
A pet peave of mine is not allowing grass clippings to accumulate at the edge of the grass between hard surfaces and the lawn. When you come back next week, the grass clippings are yellow and dead. Then when you blow this time, the yellow clippings get strung all over your perfectly manicured lawn. Pretty much I just make s ure that the clippings don't get blown up to and stop at the edge. They MUST be blown back onto the lawn. "grass only belongs where it grows"

fga
08-28-2004, 06:47 PM
my trade mark is not putting the hose back on the spicket after me and "Javier" douse ourselves....

and a drip of oil in the street from my truck says "hello, the property has been maintained, see ya next week :) "

DennisF
08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Likewise... I do the same. However, I have limited that to what I'm PAID to do and I let certain pesky things go...

DennisF,

How do you go about cleaning up heavy overgrowth at the edge of paved streets? Many guys around here do not edge. So any accounts I pick up were the grass has had a chance to creep up over the pavement will be in bad condition.

I've cleaned up one along a paved drive, which was a royal pain! I maintain an 'edge' there now which is also a pain due to slinging pavement debris and the fact it's seldom straight....

Anyways, since you maintain these areas I'm sure you understand perfectly about the challanges. Any pointers???

I have some accounts that have very ragged and broken pavement at the street and weeds and grass tend to get into those areas. About the only thing that you can do in those situations is to use the weed whacker to remove the weeds. Be very careful when doing these areas and try not to throw rocks and debris near people or property (cars and such). If you spray round-up (legally of course) you might try a little of it in the cracks and crevices. I'm not licensed to do chemicals so I have to use the string trimmer to clean out those areas. Try to clean the cracks completely and remove any dirt. That way the weeds won't pop back up so quickly. Hope this helps.

greeneakers04
08-31-2004, 04:38 PM
I agree about that pesky grass that gets left on the egde of where the lawn meets the concrete, and the edge of the street where the concrete is cracked. I always blow everything off from street to beds to decks. I hate having grass laying around. I also will look at the lawn from the street and snatch up any stragglers there may be in the lawn.