PDA

View Full Version : In MN, when to stop mowing???

jccordes2
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
How late in the season have you historically mowed until??
what methods do you use to determine???

cst51
08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
In my area I stop when the grass stops growing

jpp
08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Just a thought from an Ohio guy. I am out till the first week in December. Weather depending. This is doing the final cleanups and such. If I am doing leaves then the Yard will be mowed to give it that fresh lawn cut look. Although it will greatly depend on the freezes. I think last year I was done the last week of November.

JP

RichmondR
08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
For what its worth, the LCOs in our neighborhood usually do their fall clean-up trip as the last cut of the year. Usually that's happening late October or early November. Problem is if you get an early heavy snowfall (like the Halloween blizzard in 1991), you could lose a lot of money, so dont cut it too close (no pun intended).

jkkalbers
08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Last Actual cut is around halloween or the week before, depending on how cold it gets and how the grass grows. Then we do clean-ups until mid november weather permitting.

LwnmwrMan22
08-28-2004, 09:39 AM
jc - Where in MN are you?

I'm up around Forest Lake.

I've been done as early as October 15th, and I've worked as late as December 23rd.

I work until the day there's snow on the ground.

Usually, I have all my "contracted" clean-ups done by November 15th, and then I throw an ad in the paper for more clean-ups. It's been 15 degrees out and I've been cleaning up. You don't break much of a sweat when the snot's freezing on your upper lip.

jccordes2
08-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys!!

Lwnmwrman22, I live in Orono, near Wayzata area.

do you guys get accounts that ask, "well since the grass isn't growing very fast, I would like to switch to every other week for mowing"
I am part time and did not set up a contract per say. What responses to this question have you given??

Of course these are accounts that do not water there lawn!!

thanks again!!

Jeff

LwnmwrMan22
08-30-2004, 12:57 PM
I only do full service commercial accounts, meaning I get paid either way, whether I mow or not.