PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Jobs? How do you charge?

Flex-Deck
05-28-2000, 12:37 PM
Am just getting started and want to know if guidelings exist for bidding purposes?<p>----------<br>Bradley G. Bork, DDS.<br>

Eric ELM
05-28-2000, 01:27 PM
If you go to SEARCH that is in the row under the ad above and type in Charge or Price, you will get over 30 discussions on these subjects. There are thousands of good posts here on different subjects. I hope this helps.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

curlawngreen
05-28-2000, 02:29 PM
Nilsson has several good books on how and what to look for when bidding.

lawrence stone
05-28-2000, 04:38 PM
I usually get about $100 for an extraction and about $300 for a root canal.

Guido
05-28-2000, 06:12 PM
Now theres the stone I know and Love!! Welcome back!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

CLM1
05-29-2000, 10:00 AM
My Question is...Why in the %#@$ is a dentist<br>cutting grass!!!!<br>Hell, all the dentist I know only work 31/2 or 4 days a week after about 3 yrs. of opening their practice!<br>What's up with that Doc.?

Charles
05-29-2000, 10:03 AM
There was an ad in the paper a few days ago. Dentist wanted $85000 year salary. He be just slumming in the grass cutting business

columbiaplower
05-29-2000, 11:18 AM
give the new guy a break. your too quick to judge him. For gods sake youy dont even know the guy. he could be retired. he may be filthy rich but wants somthing to do with his time. My grand dad workd for 40 years had all the moneyhe would ever need but started cutting lawns because he enjoyed it and wanted somthing to do. Some of you guy are way too quick to judge.<br>-Nick

Charles
05-29-2000, 11:27 AM
If that is true Columbiapower. Then that all we need is another person in the lawn business who doesnt need the money taking away jobs from those who do.

Flex-Deck
05-29-2000, 11:36 AM
CLM1- Good Question - I grew up on a ranch in SD. and have loved equipment and the operation of said equipment. As a dentist it is a joy to be out spiffing up the earth God gave us. I wouldn't mind applying for that $85,000 a year job though. Here's saying Hi from small town Iowa.<p>----------<br>Bradley G. Bork, DDS.<br>

Guido
05-29-2000, 11:39 AM
Be Nice Guys!!! No Guidelines....Get what you can.....It varies depending on where you are on the map. Heres some basic stuff that you should base a bid/estimate on: Figure how much it will cost you to run whatever equipment your going to use on the job. You should be able to figure out for example it take X dollars per hour for my walk behind, etc. Then figure in your overhead costs, and then include your labor rate. Then that gives you a per hour price. Now is the hard part for you: Figure out how long its going to take, and boom.....theres your price!! The math is simple(especially for a doc!!) Its hard for me to explain, I know I made it sound complicated but E-mail me and I can try to find a Great article I have somewhere and I'll scan it and send it out for ya. Hope all this Jumble helped a little!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

Flex-Deck
05-29-2000, 11:41 AM
Charles - I am not into this for a living, but a couple of large area accounts have had trouble fitting some bids into their budget,and I have the equipment sitting around some that could be active and even employ a High School student or two. I just don't want to give something away for such a rediculous bid that it trys to set the tone for the area, as I realize there are people who feed their families in this business.<p>----------<br>Bradley G. Bork, DDS.<br>

Finecut
05-29-2000, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, wiley dentist pulled one over on you. He's advertising and not for dental work. He is in fact a dentist (I checked) in Iowa. Check out his profile...look at his web page then send his web designer the correct spelling for LOISVILLE!?. That spellings more painful than a root canal!:)

JJ Lawn
05-29-2000, 04:47 PM
Around my parts we have a Neuro-surgeon that has started up a lawn care business. If fact he operated and fixed my pinched nerve about 7 yrs ago. And before he became a doctor he was an electrician. Shows ya, anyone can become a brain surgeon. :)

Toroguy
05-29-2000, 05:30 PM
Bradley,<br>Eric was correct on the search feature...a lot of posts with good detail. The pricing fluctuates in different regions, so keep that under consideration. I base my estimates on a per hour basis, many use square footage with a stop charge.<p>

columbiaplower
05-29-2000, 10:10 PM
true charles but he still has the right to work. dont get me wrong i dont want anyone taking my jobs but i know i have a love for this work and if i won the lottery i wouldn't stop (i'd cut it down a litte)<br>-nick

Flex-Deck
05-30-2000, 11:24 PM
Thanks Columbiaplower: I love mowing and running equipment. It could be the most stress free environment I have ever been involved in. I mow a church and cemetary our family belongs to N/C and people think it is one big contribution, but I have trouble thinking that because for it to be a contribution, it should not be fun. Thanks.

Susan Meldrum
05-31-2000, 10:28 PM
Dear Doc, if you are going to operate a business to employ kids, you better add in the cost of L&I, Unemployment Insurance, and the big chunk of change thatwe all get to give give to our Uncle every month on the 15th. Figure in commercial auto insurance too if they are driving your rig. And guess what else? You will be spending a lot more to repair your machines when you have employees. Thanks for considering the other operators in your area when you said you don't want to undercut them.<p>----------<br>Mowin' in the rain<br>

Flex-Deck
05-31-2000, 10:42 PM
Dear Susan, I am running JD 455's with 72 and 78&quot; cuts and the only thing they need to do is keep the radiator, air filter clean. I love the simplicity of changing oil and cleaners on my tractors. Kubota may brag about their engines, but yanmar, (also japenese) is one heck of a fuel saving and reliable engine. (4500 hrs on a 1998 332)

Eric ELM
05-31-2000, 10:58 PM
I agree the Yanmar is a good engine. I had a 332 and I have a 430 and I had no problems with the engines on the JD's. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Flex-Deck
05-31-2000, 11:02 PM
Wow, I have been replying for a few sessions and this is the first time I have received an answer or response so fast. Thanks Eric, and I really like my diesels.

Nilsson Associates
06-01-2000, 06:02 AM
Mowing Dentist ...<p>make sure you &quot;extract&quot; and check often the fuel filter, remove any water, mark the gas cans so nobody makes mistake of filling with gasoline instead of diesel, make sure you keep tank full, air in fuel line, water in fuel line about the only thing that takes down the motor. If you don't do this keep eye on it, you'll have to bleed the system, takes time to do that process.<p>Nilsson Associates<br>Green Industry Consultants