PDA

View Full Version : why do the yankees always win?

bobbygedd
08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
anyone see the movie, catch me if u can? WHY DO the yankees always win? cus thier opponants can't see past the pinstripes. how is this relative to lawncare? well, it came to mind as i was checking out a big companies lawns. there is a company here, huge, hundreds and hundreds of lawns, the properties all look perfect.....but are they? not hardly. this guy will not take on a simple mow and blow client, it's all or nothing. the shrubs are kept trimmed nicely, the beds edged , weed free, and with fresh mulch, the edging and weedwacking are perfect, the curb and walkways are kept spotless, and free of weeds. but look closely, the overall quality of the turf, is probably a 5 on a scale of 1-10. oh they ARE green, but lots of weeds. yet he is considered "the man" in this area. his properties are by far considered the best around. so you see, it has alot to do with the ENTIRE property, not just the lawn quality, his quality actually sucks, yet his properties look the best.

CJ GreenScapes
08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
the shrubs are kept trimmed nicely, the beds edged , weed free, and with fresh mulch, the edging and weedwacking are perfect, the curb and walkways are kept spotless

Yes, its the little things that matter. Those few you mentioned can seperate you from the rest.

That and a winning attitude will put you over the top!

MMLawn
08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Because they have the higest payroll in baseball...........oh, you weren't really asking that....sorry. LOL

fga
08-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
Because they have the higest payroll in baseball...........oh, you weren't really asking that....sorry. LOL they got that pay roll from winning championships......

DennisF
08-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by fga
they got that pay roll from winning championships......

Wrong. They got the payroll from George Steinbrenner. He buys the championships!

fga
08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
the chicken and the egg......

but alot of the key members of the championships came up through the farm system, on non impressive money contracts. they've proven themselves and now get more money. its good business.

1Royalone
08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Bobby, good insight. It is good to review all other LCO's and note good points and bad points. What county in NJ do you do most of your work in?

dkeisala
08-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Image is everything and people pay us to make their stuff look good. Turf quality? Who cares as long as it's green and growing. This guy must be doing something right.

I do very, very few mow and blow only accounts. 95% of my accounts are full service, year round cusomers.

GeeVee
08-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Maybe one day you'll get your OMB a tenth of the way there.

Keep dreaming.

Coming from you, I'm sure you shortchanged the turf quality a bit to "juice up" your story.

GreenMonster
08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by fga
they got that pay roll from winning championships......

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

spoken like a true Yankee fan. Take off those blinders anytime, Adam.

sorry guys, I know this ain't a baseball thread.

Largest market and no cap, Adam. That's how.

don't you clutter the off topic forum enough with the chicken and egg garbage?:D

kootoomootoo
08-27-2004, 10:10 PM
The only word that matters in business is sales. Big companies dont get that way because of everyones old favorite "word of mouth". Bobby...take a chance hire a few dynamite sales reps at $100,000 a year....before long you could have $5 mil in sales but and a big but.... do you have the financing/cash flow, resources and balls to make it happen. Most dont.

HOOLIE
08-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Does he treat these lawns or not? I would assume so if he's full service.

GeeVee
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Kootoo,

No, he doesn't.

geogunn
08-27-2004, 11:54 PM
whatthehell did I miss?

Originally posted by bobbygedd
there is a company here, huge, hundreds and hundreds of lawns, the properties all look perfect.....but are they? not hardly. this guy will not take on a simple mow and blow client, it's all or nothing. the shrubs are kept trimmed nicely, the beds edged , weed free, and with fresh mulch, the edging and weedwacking are perfect, the curb and walkways are kept spotless, and free of weeds. but look closely, the overall quality of the turf, is probably a 5 on a scale of 1-10. oh they ARE green, but lots of weeds. yet he is considered "the man" in this area. his properties are by far considered the best around. so you see, it has alot to do with the ENTIRE property, not just the lawn quality, his quality actually sucks, yet his properties look the best.

pardon me for quoting almost the whole bob post but I am wondering where the punch line is?

another way to interpret bob's post is: despiite a few weeds in the lawn, the guy is the best there is!

duhhh?????

GEO :confused:

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 01:07 AM
geo, point being, if you look at the property, the perfect edging and other features i explained take the focus off of the less than perfect turf. in fact it's the last thing u notice, and really have to look to notice it