PDA

View Full Version : shindaiwa 270 repair help

Doh!
08-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I've been losing power when i flip it vertical to edge, so thought there might be air getting in the gas line. I bought the tune up kit and replaced the fuel line, muffler screen, spark plug, fuel filter, etc.
while I was at it i figured i should replace the clutch since it has been a good while.

Now I'm having problems with the new clutch; as soon as i start it the head spins and and won't let the engine idle without spinning. The installation of the clutch seems pretty routine, Am I missing something? I would have put the old clutch back in, but in my false confidence I threw it away before I tested the trimmer. Can anybody save me the fifty an hour they charge at the dealer?

ElephantNest
08-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Pull the muffler screen out altogether.

Andyinchville2
08-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Is your idle speed ok? Reason I ask is tha you did a tune up on the machine and it may be running so much better than before that the engine may be pulling more rpms at idle and hence causing the clutch to engage.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Dave
08-27-2004, 08:26 PM
what is the number of the clutch you put in ,as ill chk to see if you got the right onethe only way you could have screwed up is to have the L on the shoes facing in instead of out ,There is also a R on the other side ,Shindaiwa recomends L out ,stands for leading ,basically means to have to have it run wide open and the R is for midrange operation ,there are small washers that go underneath the cluch did you put them back

dishboy
08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Typically losing power upside down is a coked exhaust port, muffler or screen........ or usually and I say usually a two rich of mixture, I always tune mine upside down so it is a little fat then when rightside up it sreams. If I tune so it screams upside down it is to lean rightside up, not a good thing with a two cycle.

Did you take apart the carb and spray carb cleaner and blow out your fuel and air passages. I would go their next if port, muffler etc are clean. If that does not do it a diaphram would be next if I was troubleshooting it.

K&RLAWNS
08-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I would highly recommend picking up a Shindaiwa service manual for $7.50. The manual covers every part from carb thru head. The Shindy part # for the service manual (116 pages ) is 60506.

Doh!
08-28-2004, 01:46 PM
I tried the clutch with L inside and out, same thing always engaged. I put everything back together the way it came apart: two washers under the clutch, and the two bolts holding it on. It does seem more powerful, but I didn't run it very long because im sure that it can't be good for the machine to have the clutch always engaged like that. I guess i better get that manual. Thanks for the input.