PDA

View Full Version : Should have saw it coming

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
08-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I usually can spot the PITAs over the phone or in the first couple of minutes while giving and estimate but I gotta say this lady sure had her charm. So we walk the property, a normal city lot yard, a little more trimming than most so I give her the local going rate of $20.00 for her lawn. Im a solo, its a 30 minute job tops. Too many LCOs saturating the market driving the price down but you can clean up on the city yards. She tells me she will sign on for the rest of the year, a fall clean up, and 99% sure she will sign on for next year too. She told me some of her neighbors may be interested in my service so I was kinda giddy. As I am about to sign my portion of the agreement for weekly service here comes the classic line. "Now, if you use my mower you should mow my lawn for free right?" Uh, what? If you use my mower I should get it cut for free then since you are not using your equipment. I was stunned. I said, no. Well that only seems fair. I said I use my equipment and this is a business, not a free courtesy service I am providing. But my grandson mowed for me and he did it for free. I told her to call him back to cut her lawn. I also told her to never call my service again and she was lucky I was not billing her for a trip for completely wasting my time.

HOOLIE
08-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Was Ashton Kutcher there? Maybe you were on Punk'd.

Outsiders Lawn Artists
08-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what is a pita?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
08-27-2004, 07:12 PM
No Ashton, but I sure was Punk'd.

PITA is Pain in the Ass.

barringtonbrothers
08-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Sounds like this lady might be suffering from Alzheimer's or as I like to say oldtimers disease, either that or she was just plain stupid.

locutus
08-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Is this story made up? If it isn't, that person must have been suffering from some sort of dementia. This is the craziest pita post I've ever read.

fcl01
08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
you shoulda said sure its free. rip the contract and say,"see ya next week". then let the old hag sweat to find someone else.

pjslawncare/landscap
08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Sound made up to me. I cant believe anyone is crazy to beleive that if they have a mower, they will come. AKA "Mower of dreams"

No Lawncares
08-27-2004, 10:57 PM
That had to have been the funniest thing I have read on this site. I can't believe she asked you that, I would have laughed at her and just walked out.

GeeVee
08-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Maybe she meant you could use her mower for all her neighbors and charge them but do her for free?

TeeHee

fixer67
08-27-2004, 11:40 PM
The LCOs that come in the shop have told me stories like this more than once. Never "free" but "half price" was there version. I guess the PITAs in this area are only "half" crazy. Looks like even her grandson got tired of her free loading non-sence.

HOOLIE
08-27-2004, 11:46 PM
I had one like this earlier this year. A regular mowing customer. Wanted everything mulched, and enlarge a few beds. Quoted her $600. She says "Can I assume most of that cost is for the mulch?" And I said "Well, no, mostly labor" It kills some people if you make a profit.

JBird
08-28-2004, 05:55 AM
"Can I assume most of that cost is for the mulch?" ........

I think I'd a said, "You may assume anything you'de like, if it makes you feel better"! But the fact of the matter is, I'm makin' a dollar a minute on your butt.......even while I'm standing here talking to you, anything else you'd care to discuss?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
"Now, if you use my mower you should mow my lawn for free right?"

I had a lady yesterday ask me if I had my own equipment and what I charge by the hour.

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
i had a snow customer call for service, and ask, "do you have boots?" i'm like, "what kind of question is THAT? boots? certainly i have boots." she said, "o, just incase you didn't, you could wear my husbands."

MOW ED
08-28-2004, 08:25 AM
You should have told her yes if you could have her car for the rest of the season in order to get there to mow. Of course what you do with the car when you are not mowing couldn't be deducted as a business expense.

RedWingsDet
08-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i had a snow customer call for service, and ask, "do you have boots?" i'm like, "what kind of question is THAT? boots? certainly i have boots." she said, "o, just incase you didn't, you could wear my husbands."

now that has to be the funniest thing ive ever read!!!!!!!

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
08-28-2004, 11:33 AM
I wish I could have seen the look on my face when she said that to me. I bet I looked completely dumbfounded because I sure felt like I was. I mean, I have been in business for myself just this season and worked off and on in the business for a buddy of mine since we were 18 but that was the craziest estimate process ever. I just think she was the Queen of all PITAs to be honest. Or the Queen of all that is cheap and free.

Expert Lawns
08-28-2004, 01:27 PM
give her my name and number, i'd love to go over and give away my services for free.

reminds me of the old lady from The Wedding Singer that paid for her lessons in meatballs.

CapnDean
08-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Suppose you said Okay:

I will use your mower and do the job for free. Then, drain the oil out of her mower, start it up and mow her lawn for free.

So when her mower locks up...knock on her door and tell her:

"Gee, your mower seemed to have quit on me, I'll go get mine and you can pay me the $20 to cut your grass like we agreed."

Okay...at least it was a thought huh?