PDA

View Full Version : Water + Mower = ???

LawnBoy89
08-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Is it bad to wash the mower? The guy said not to because when the bearings are heated up they suck in the water, but I would definetly wait till everything was cooled down anyways? Do you guys wash down your mowers?

Andyinchville2
08-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Rain washes mine....If I get it really muddy I may wash it but very seldom does it get really dirty....I also hear that as parts cool excess water can be sucked in...Also, not good to spray hot components anyways (thermal shock can cause cracking in extreme cases). I'd wait until the machine is at lease tool enough to touch without burning yourself....Ambient temp would be even better.

Andrew

locutus
08-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I like to keep my equipment clean. I pull into the carwash once every two weeks and clean everything while it is on the trailer. This way, I dont have to deal with all the gunk in my driveway.

LawnBoy89
08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
That's a good idea, locutus. I'll try that when I start driving.

The mower is completely cooled down by now. Is there every any overheating issues with the engines that aren't liquid cooled?

Thanks for the replies guys.

fcl01
08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
if theres an engine, it can overheat. just like your car would. oh wait, my bad!:D just kidding ya. just watch your fluids and keep up on maintenance and youll be fine. as for getting stuff wet, you can try to keep it dry all you want but sooner or later, you'll have to mow in rain. heck, i sometimes clean my deck in a big puddle.

locutus
08-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LawnBoy89
That's a good idea, locutus. I'll try that when I start driving.

The mower is completely cooled down by now. Is there every any overheating issues with the engines that aren't liquid cooled?

Thanks for the replies guys. Not that I know of, however if you read your owners manual, it will state that they do not recommend washing your mower mainly due to the fact that some of the electrical connections may get corroded. I have never had this happen in all the years I've been washing my equipment.

dkeisala
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM
We pressure wash the exterior of the mowers, hopper on the Walker and the blower housing but just use compressed air on the motor, electrical, etc.

rodfather
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Hell no, we pressure washer all of ours every Saturday.

LawnBoy89
08-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Hey, don't worry, I'll be driving soon enough.
I'll talk the pressure washer to it sometime, I just washed it with the hose before. My pressure washer is pretty powerful.

I try to stay away frome the engine and all the electrical connections, all I really wash off is the deck and the wheels.

Thanks again guys. I have tons of WD-40, I use it on alot of my stuff. So I don't have to worry about rust.

Well, thanks again guys.

mowhigh
08-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I use the blower on it first (less debris to cling to wet surfaces) before hosing it down (small pressure washer under deck); it also helps cool things down.

LawnBoy89
08-27-2004, 10:23 PM
That isn't a bad idea. Today I just took off most of the grass with my hands. I couldun't find the key to the shed at the time, where the blower is stored.

fixer67
08-27-2004, 11:27 PM
I can tell you a thing or two about washing mowers. I have had to rewire more than a few because of it. It is like most things it life, there is a right way and a wrong way. I will list the WRONG ways. DO NOT use any thing like Purple Power or Dixie Red, these cleaners eat electrical systems for lunch. NEVER spray water on an engine that is hot no mater the type of engine. NEVER spray water on any electric contacts or harness plugs. Be real careful when using a pressure washer any where near the engine like around the carb and coil(s).Never spary water straight on to bearing and such where it can get it and do damage. NEVER NEVER spray water on an ECU. Just ask Kohler about there problem with this. If at all possible let the engine dry before starting it up. If you want to use soap or cleaner use dish soap. I use Dawn my self. It cuts the grease and rinses clean and must of all it does not eat electrical systems. Use use a little common sense when washing your mower and you should be OK. If not you will be paying some one like me to fix it.