PDA

View Full Version : PS pump and really taking a beating

MOW ED
08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
I finished my mowing yesterday and as I was backing in I fely chatter in the steering column. It got worse and it appeared that my power steering pump went. 1998 Chev half ton w/350, 49K miles. I called the shop and was told 600 bucks to put one in. I called the parts store and got a reman for 107 plus the puller at 25. So for about 150 my buddy and I put it in. No problems and it was about a 3 hour job with the 2 of us. When I went home the thing ran just like new.
Until today.

I took it down the highway and began to hear whining again. By the time I almost got home I had fluid spraying all over the inside. Yep, something went cow crap with the pump. I gave up and drove it to the dealer. I will get the estimate monday afternoon and I am expecting at least 600 bucks plus. So for about a grand I am gonna be able to pull my trailer again, I hope.
Come to think of it, I wish it would have just burst into flames.

Oh well, I am done whining. Thanks for listening.

selnoil
08-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Be sure to check with the parts company and see how to go about a return because the dealer is likely to chuck the pump if you don't give them specific orders. I've learned the same lesson to many times to count!!!!!!!!

xcopterdoc
08-28-2004, 08:07 PM
These things can be a pain. In my experience of almost 30 yrs of wrenching, you have a 50/50 chance of a reman part being good right out of the box. Then deduct another 25% that it will make it as long as the OEM part did. You have to bleed the system properly, making sure it isnt sucking air on the suction side or leaking on the pressure side. Some of the GM trucks have a elec valve for steering that is coupled to the speed sensor. They are known to go bad also and will make you think the pump is bad. I get many repairs that were done by owners to save a few bucks, only to discover that they botched the job and finally come to a shop to get it done right.

MOW ED
08-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by xcopterdoc
I get many repairs that were done by owners to save a few bucks, only to discover that they botched the job and finally come to a shop to get it done right.

Yup thats me, and after 42 years you would think that I am smart enough to know that but NOOOO not me. Some things have to be left to the pros and this little bump will leave an imprint in my head and in my wallet.

xcopterdoc
08-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Its ok Ed... I dont cut my own grass either! So it evens out.. mechanics who dont cut grass and lco's who dont turn wrenches... lol!

MOW ED
09-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Got my refund for the pump from the NAPA guy. He said that they usually don't refund money but he did for me. It was an ordeal to get the refund. He first off gave me money for the pump and core but then said that I could have my original (oem) pump back. I had to do a bunch hoop jumping and to make a long story short, I have $110.00 back in my pocket.
Life has an evening out effect.

Back in biz.