PDA

View Full Version : 400+ Acres

Green Man of La.
08-27-2004, 10:28 PM
A buddy of mine asked me to bid on a little more than 400 acres where he works. This is way out of my league both in current equipment and knowledge of estimating anything larger than a residential property. The specs on the bid describe the turf in 3 ways: improved grounds, semi-improved grounds and unimproved grounds. Improved grounds are to be well maintained at all times; as far as semi-improved grounds I question if a bush hog is whats needed or is that only for the unimproved grounds? If cost of equipment was not an issue, what pieces of equipment would be best?

dkeisala
08-27-2004, 10:46 PM
400 acres - I'd let it go. Talk about biting off more than you can chew.

qualitylandscaping
08-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I got asked to bid 2,000 acres for next season.. Gonna be tough to come up with a solid price on it, but I'll add another crew or two and send them to work!

400 acres.. Shouldn't be too bad, just figure out how much your costs are per hour and charge hourly...

youngdude
08-28-2004, 12:17 AM
2,000 acres???Bush Hoging it or regular basis?

HOOLIE
08-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by dkeisala
400 acres - I'd let it go. Talk about biting off more than you can chew.

I have to agree- that's quite a jump from residentials. But if you're still looking at it, I'm sure a bush hog would come in handy somewhere on it. I'm not sure, but would "unimproved" mean basically that you leave it alone, just a natural area? I'd make certain what they expect exactly before you submit a bid.

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by youngdude
2,000 acres???Bush Hoging it or regular basis?

Regular basis.. Weekly mowing, no trimming or blowing except in the main area (entrance, hotel, around the Marina, etc).. Its a huge resort/conference center.. About 1/4 would be full service and the rest is the campground and sports fields (mowing only)...

grasssin
08-28-2004, 01:44 AM
2,000 acres?!?! You would definitely have to have two dedicated crews just mowing that on a continual basis!!!

That cannot be just the grass to be cut can it? Is the 2,000 including all hard surfaces, buildings etc etc etc that the compound sits on?

Richard Martin
08-28-2004, 05:50 AM
Even the 400 ares requires special consideration. For starters you're going to need at least two $30,000 15' mowers. One with finish mowers and one with rough cut mowers. In order to buy mowers like that you need a lot of room on your credit report or a signed contract. Make sure you can pay the mowers off within the timespan of the contract.

Runner
08-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Also, how much acreage is there of each? How rough? How much trimming? How far to travel? Are the areas cwithin a close proximity of each other? Is there storage onsite for all the equipment? What are the expectations of the owners? What else needs to be maintained? Ditches? How long is the contract? See, there are just WAY too many factors to consider, to be able to even come CLOSE to any projections. This sounds like it may be a school systyem that happens to have alot of bushhogging, or an airport or something.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
400 acres.. Shouldn't be too bad, just figure out how much your costs are per hour and charge hourly...

Your kidding right ?:confused:

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by grasssin
2,000 acres?!?! You would definitely have to have two dedicated crews just mowing that on a continual basis!!!

That cannot be just the grass to be cut can it? Is the 2,000 including all hard surfaces, buildings etc etc etc that the compound sits on?

grasssin,

It's 1830 acres total which includes all roads, parking lots, buildings, sand beach, sidewalks, etc.. Total area for mowing is about 1000-1100 acres

Patrick.B
08-28-2004, 10:25 AM
400 acres is alot of lawn to cut But i'm sure it would take few days to cut 400 acres depending how mush help you have ,,and what kind equipment you have also ..Think i would charge so much a day that way when it rains you can charge a half aday or full day ,,,,,,,like theys say ,,,,,make sure you can pay your equipment off with the contract ....cause it will cost you $$$ to get starter with 400 acres .....Good Luck GreenMan LA

allstar
08-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Whoa!!!A 17 year old bidding on a 2000 acre property,much of which needs to be mowed weekly? "Just add another crew or two and send them to work"????That's a 2 and three zeros right?
Could someone tell me how much new equipment and additional manpower you would have to add to take on a job like that?Just curious.

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
grasssin,

It's 1830 acres total which includes all roads, parking lots, buildings, sand beach, sidewalks, etc.. Total area for mowing is about 1000-1100 acres

BTW,

Equipment I will be ordering if I get the job:

8x24 enclosed trailer (with bathroom)
8x28 enclosed trailer
3- 60" Lesco Z-Two's (2 with Peco bagging systems)
2- 48" Lesco Z-Two's
1- 36" Lesco belt wb
3- Stihl FS85 trimmers
3- Kawasaki KRB400B blowers

And probably a boat load of other stuff considering they want full maintenance on 1/4 of it.. Mulching all buildings and tree rings (250+ trees)..

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 10:31 AM
allstar,

It would be 5-6 guys 5 days per week (could do less guys and run 7 days per week if it wasn't a resort).. Planning on working 8am-6pm, but certain areas would have to be done when there weren't alot of people around..

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-28-2004, 10:44 AM
grasssin,

So your mowing 200 acres a day ! With 5 to 6 guys

Each guy would have to mow 40 acres per day plus trimming and blowing

All I can say is wow !

Your doing it by the hour right.

Richard Martin
08-28-2004, 11:52 AM
BTW,

8x28 enclosed trailer
2- 48" Lesco Z-Two's
1- 36" Lesco belt wb
3- Stihl FS85 trimmers

1100 acres with Z-turns? If you're going to step up with the big boys you need to think much larger than Z-turns.

It would also be considerably cheaper with my previously mentioned 15 foot mowers.

5 Z-turns are going to run you $30,000 alone @ $6,000 a piece. 5 guys to run those 5 mowers @ $20,000 per man year is $100.000. That is $130,000 per year.

1 man can probably cut more grass with a diesel powered 15 foot mower than all 5 of those Z-turns put together.

1 15 foot mower at $30,000 plus 1 guy to run that mower @ $20,000 per man year is $20,000. That is $50,000 per year.

Adding another man on a Z-turn to do the trim work is going to cost you another $26,000 per year.

That's a total of $76,000 verses $130,000.

And that doesn't even take into account the overhead.

Do what you want.

all ferris
08-28-2004, 01:53 PM
BTW,

8x28 enclosed trailer
2- 48" Lesco Z-Two's
1- 36" Lesco belt wb
3- Stihl FS85 trimmers

And probably a boat load of other stuff considering they want full maintenance on 1/4 of it.. Mulching all buildings and tree rings (250+ trees)..

I do believe you'll need a bit more equipment than that to cut 1100 acres in one week. I think at the most you might be able to cut 150 acres a day with that equipment (and you better not stop for poddy breaks or lunch).

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
My estimate is in the ballpark of $750,000 per year.. That would leave plenty of room for me to add several more crew members and pieces of equipment if needed.. Of course that estimate includes mulching, hedge trimming, fertilizing (only about 10 acres worth). The estimate is contingent upon how long it actually takes.. So it is being billed by the hour, but my guess for total amount is $750,000..

SCAG POWER
08-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Just like the above post said. The Zturns are not going to get it with this project.You best turn to a company that can front you some 15 ft mowers.So you can keep up your "productivity".

Before you commite to lesco, go check out JohnDerre, they have a program, called jump start your business for the first year.The interest rate is very commpetivie when it comes to getting all the equipment you may need.

Have you sat down and figured out a business plan for this project, too take on some thing like this with out looking at all angles will leave a lot room for error.What is going to happen when you decide that after doing this for a while ,that you now want out??

Every thing has too be looked at , take your time when judging some thing of this size..

Hope you do well with this,,,,,,,,,,the biggest one that i now take care of 15 acres with 126 duplex units on it , by the way its all day for the 3 of us.We chose not to over load on equipment to take this ,but did get additional 2 cycle gear.
:alien:

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 02:52 PM
15' mowers would take longer to do it with.. Lots of tight areas and trees.. Campground is full of trailers, tents, firewood, picnic tables, fire rings, electric cords, coolers, etc if you have ever camped before you get what I'm saying..

There is a possibility of one large mower, but the majority will be ZTR's with more guys.. The large mower would only save time on the fields, but they like stripes, and the huge mower won't give them that sweet look that the ZTR's will..

They get what they want.. lol

$750,000 per year.. Don't think I'm going to change my mind and get out of the biz.. Can't make 1/4 that doing anything else.. And this is only one of my accounts!

grasssin
08-28-2004, 03:03 PM
That would be a no brainer then, $750,000 a year.... hell yes.

If that is one of your accounts though I would definitely get someone you can trust to run those crews, because you cannot be everywhere at once!! I have been through that already..

between school, partying, and working time is a limited commoditiy.

MMLawn
08-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Not busting your butt here or being a smart one myself and I respect hard working young kids but I must ask. This wouldn't be until next year right? After your 18th birthday? Because at 17 you can't sign a legally binding contract nor can you legally have employees, nor can you get the liability insurance coverage or licenses you will need to preform the work listed (fert). I also got say I am shocked as to why would such a large property look to a 17 year old for a bid, esp one that doesn't have the equipment or the past experince at such large props? I mean aren't you still in high school? Again not being rude but it really looks strange.

ALarsh
08-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
Not busting your butt here or being a smart one myself but I must ask. This wouldn't be until next year right? After your 18th birthday? Because at 17 you can't sign a legally binding contract nor can you legally have employees, nor can you get the liability insurance coverage or licenses you will need to preform the work listed (fert). I also got say I am shocked if this is true why would such a large property look to a 17 year old for a bid, esp one that doesn't have the equipment or the past experince at such large props? I mean aren't you still in high school? Again not being rude but it really looks strange.

I was thinking the same thing but remember, he was just asked to place a bid. The same resort probably asked 20 other LCO's to place a bid also.

Just because he was asked to place a bid doesn't mean that he has an advantage of getting the job over any other LCO.

Good luck on getting the job though.

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
Not busting your butt here or being a smart one myself and I respect hard working young kids but I must ask. This wouldn't be until next year right? After your 18th birthday? Because at 17 you can't sign a legally binding contract nor can you legally have employees, nor can you get the liability insurance coverage or licenses you will need to preform the work listed (fert). I also got say I am shocked as to why would such a large property look to a 17 year old for a bid, esp one that doesn't have the equipment or the past experince at such large props? I mean aren't you still in high school? Again not being rude but it really looks strange.

Yes it will be after my 18th bday.. My 18th is October 10th of this year..

I can legally sign a binding contract. Anything with a signature is legal, doesn't matter how old you are.

I have a $5,000,000 liability policy right now, it's in the business name. Has nothing to do with me personally, I just pay the bill..

Right now, I have one employee (20yrs old) who is a licensed applicator. He is my only applicator right now, but thats how I'm taking care of pesticide/herbicide/fungicide accounts.

As far as I know, no one else is bidding on this account. I mow for the guy who owns it, and he has asked me to do it for next season. Said, whatever it costs I will have you do it.. I go above and beyond to keep this guy happen (one of the few I will do that for), but I am already doing an $8000/wk campground for him.. This guy is the founder/CEO of Advair (asthama medicine)..

Mowing Bushman
08-28-2004, 04:51 PM
How much will you be paying your workers?

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 04:52 PM
$10/hr for labor.. $16/hr for foreman

Thunderdogg
08-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm not in this business yet, I'm looking forward to getting into the green industry when I retire in 5 years, maybe go part-time in the next year or two...

...however, even though I don't have the experience to judge a job as elaborate as 1100 acres, and perhaps I'm not comprehending how large 1100 acres is...but, how can a resort like that pay $750,000 to have their lawns maintained? Does that include applications and landscape work?

It just seems like an ungodly amount of money and I'm not questioning you, just trying to understand this business a bit better. Again I'm not in a position to judge a job like that, just trying to understand. :D

That's an amazing amount of money if you get the job, good luck to you!

rodfather
08-28-2004, 06:29 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade there my friend, but at the age of 17 and only having one employee, you are taking on something much more than you can possibly imagine. I kind of know how much 1100 acres is. My last house was a farm with 101 acres of prop and that was a lot. So 11 times that???

BTW, why do you have 5M liability coverage...you cut the grounds at the White House or something?

Right now, we mow around 300 acres a week. I cannot fathom one single job being 1100.

promower
08-28-2004, 06:58 PM
One employee and you take care of a campground now that pays 8000 a week, Plus your other accounts. Amount of work you have and number employees isnt adding up here.

Trevors Lawn Care
08-28-2004, 06:59 PM
there are two different kind of people in this world.

Dont know any other way of saying it: Pu$$ies, Panzies, Wusses

Or,

Risk takers, adventurers.

With great risk comes great rewards, Quality (Steve) seems to have what it takes to be the risk taker, to take him to the next level.

Everyone that is saying you cant handle that, probably has limited experience with props. this large, and would fall under the first catagory. They are the ones that will not sign an account without it being a gurantee even if the profit is small.

Same goes for investing in the stock market. Penny stocks pay great, if you find the right ones...

Mutual funds are almost always a gainer, but at a very VERY low rate.

Trevor

MWE
08-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Here's my two cents on the 2000 acres. There is a large plant in my town the subs out the mowing. I don't think it as large as 2000 acres. But the company the mows it has 14 full time people at this property, and several years ago it was 1 MILLION dollars a year for the contract. I'm sure the price as gone up, with the cost of gas and everything else.

So I thing that $750,000 would be to low for the contract. It sounds like alot but after the cost of equipment ,employees and insurance, there wouldn't be a whole lot left over.

LwnmwrMan22
08-28-2004, 08:31 PM
$750,000. I mow a school district, about 80 acres, with 3 guys, 1 12' mower, 2 60" mowers. Takes all day to mow, plus another day + 1/2 to trim.

$35,000 / year, whether it's dry or not, about 20 times / year.

Now figure 1100 / 80.

That means that with that equipment, basically (5) 60" z-turns, that it would take 27.5 days to mow 1100 acres.

Thunderdogg
08-28-2004, 09:45 PM
That puts it more into perspective for me..thanks guys.

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by promower
One employee and you take care of a campground now that pays 8000 a week, Plus your other accounts. Amount of work you have and number employees isnt adding up here.

Promower,

You didn't read it right.. I only have one certified applicator.. I have between 4 full timers right now and another 3-5 part timers who work during the spring and fall.. So the one employee you mentioned is part of the 4 full timers, but he is the only cert. applicator..

Rodfather,

I have $5M for the campground and one of my commercials requires it.. The difference between $1M and $5M is only about $300 a year.. No biggy..

Guys,

I cannot even think about how many employees or pieces of equipment I will need. I want to see if he flips out and tells me to F off before I spend hours and hours detailing out every inch of this place. If he doesn't like the $750,000 approx. quote I will go no further.. If he likes it, I will continue and get detailed with it. No time to waste hours and hours putting a huge plan together, to have him come back and say no.. I will budget for up to 10 mowers and up to 15 guys.. If I bring in $100,000 for myself I would be happy and I wouldn't have to lift a finger..

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 12:31 AM
wow, what can i say the stories get better and better on this site

qualitylandscaping
08-29-2004, 12:43 AM
stories??? I'm not telling stories.. If I was I would say I already have the account.. I haven't even given him the price yet..

odin
08-29-2004, 12:46 AM
good luck steve hope you get the account and it makes good money for you.

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 12:46 AM
maybe you can pull your new customized 28 footer with that ford ranger edge lol

HOOLIE
08-29-2004, 12:54 AM
quality-

I hope it works out for you. And I hope you don't get in over your head. I'm not saying that because of your age, just because that's a huge contract, and its often hard to judge these things.

Just curious, there are sand beaches in Rochester?

qualitylandscaping
08-29-2004, 01:04 AM
hoolie,

yes there are! Fake ones though lol.. It's out in the Finger Lakes, so it's not right in the city..

qualitylandscaping
08-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Mlc gmc03
maybe you can pull your new customized 28 footer with that ford ranger edge lol

Actually I was planning on pulling it with this.. And the other one with my other new truck which is coming soon.. 2004 F350 Diesel.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

HOOLIE
08-29-2004, 01:10 AM
hoolie,

yes there are! Fake ones though lol.. It's out in the Finger Lakes, so it's not right in the city..

Right after I posted this, I thought "I should have looked Rochester up on a map first". I thought it was a little inland. Finger Lakes works for me.

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 11:53 AM
right back at ya

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 11:57 AM
heres another one

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 12:00 PM
my personal truck

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 12:03 PM
one of our fert apps trucks

Mlc gmc03
08-29-2004, 12:07 PM
here is my after work hours car

Edit: He asked me to remove his picture of the car, he didn't realize the tags were showing. Jodi

grasssin
08-29-2004, 12:47 PM
That is a nice car!!!

If you are single that would be a easy pick up

Gilla Gorilla
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Man the Sh!t is getting deep in this thread boys.

odin
08-29-2004, 01:02 PM
keep buying those general motors brands of truck's ...Pays into my pension fund:D

looks like a 66 corvette

Mark Lawncare
08-29-2004, 01:14 PM
That GMC dumper is sweet.

alpine692003
08-29-2004, 02:55 PM
What is a competition amongst you americans?

:p

lawnman_scott
08-29-2004, 03:28 PM
hoolie,

yes there are! Fake ones though lol.. It's out in the Finger Lakes, so it's not right in the city.. Is the shop done yet steve? You had that picture of the groundbreaking over a year ago.

fastcutter
08-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Damn... Looks like alot of people on here like to Talk Trash..

qualitylandscaping
08-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Mlc gmc03
right back at ya

Ok so you have nice trucks too... How does this relate to the thread topic?? You want show that you can out spend me or something? What's the big deal. Believe me or don't, your not hurting my business your just making me feel better because you posted a pic of a "pimp" ride.. Your probably just a poser anyway who works for someone, and smokes pot all weekend..

rodfather
08-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by odin
keep buying those general motors brands of truck's ...Pays into my pension fund:D

looks like a 66 corvette

Wait a little longer Jack and go for the 63 split window...lol

Flex-Deck
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
What is going on - I punch in page 6 of a topic that says bid 400 acres, and all I see is discussion of who has the biggest truck. Where the hell is this site going?

mrusk
08-29-2004, 10:03 PM
The real proablem is going to be finding, training and keeping 15 full time employees. With that many workers, you will need spare mowers and a full time mechanic for sure. Equipment is going to be beat up for sure.

matt

WeatherMan
08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
I had a five year contrat on 420 acres we charges $25 per acre (No Trimming, No Clean-up Just Mow) Mowed once a month with rough mower (Brush Hog) Worked out well Lost the account at the end of the contract to a new LCO they bid $2000 per cut When I made $10,500 per cut.

lqmustang
08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by WeatherMan
I had a five year contrat on 420 acres we charges $25 per acre (No Trimming, No Clean-up Just Mow) Mowed once a month with rough mower (Brush Hog) Worked out well Lost the account at the end of the contract to a new LCO they bid $2000 per cut When I made $10,500 per cut.

Let's see, 420 acres at $2k per cut is $4.76 an acre??!!!! I don't think that LCO will stay in business very long at those rates.

Mlc gmc03
08-30-2004, 12:05 AM
rodfather i hear ya at the bloomington gold corvette show a guy had a 63 split window fuel injected it was absolutly beautiful

PMLAWN
08-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Have you ever cut a campground? do you have to cut around the campsites? It can be the most time comsuming thing to do as there are campers set up with elect.-water-waste-lines all over the ground and a picknic table at each site. People all over the place and a lot of garbage to pick up. If you are bidding this make sure you see it all and see it on different days of the week.

qualitylandscaping
08-30-2004, 09:47 AM
PMLAWN,

My post on the top of page 3 says the same as yours. Yes, I am mowing a campground right now. It's not nearly as large as the one I am bidding on but it still gives me an idea on time per site. Right now I'm doing about 80 sites and about 90 acres of land.

The new one has 345 sites, each is about 1,400 sqft in size..

chevyman1
08-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Hey Steve @ Quality, if you don't mind me asking how much will you get this year for the current campground money wise?

ALarsh
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by chevyman1
Hey Steve @ Quality, if you don't mind me asking how much will you get this year for the current campground money wise?

He said $8,000 biweekly.

chevyman1
08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
thanks, sorry I missed that in the thread

chevyman1
08-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey steve, I'm out in Albany....I'll bid the big campground with you and just come out 1 day per week or every other week next year and mow with you....I'll have the 72 chopper and the 60" ready to rock (buying the 72 next year likely)!

chevyman1
08-30-2004, 10:52 AM
I can be outsourced! haha

MMLawn
08-30-2004, 10:59 AM
<b>I can legally sign a binding contract. Anything with a signature is legal, doesn't matter how old you are.</b>

Very wrong! It seems that you have gotten some bad legal advise then. I suggest you contact a lawyer and ask them. To sign a legally BINDING Contract in any State you must be at least 18yoa. Yeah, you can sign one at any age but it is not legal in any court, legal proceeding, or mediation proceeding. Also if you have $5M Liability coverage then your Ins Co doesn't know your age or it is in someone elses name. Also how do you have any employees as you can't be an employer at 17? Is your Fed Tax ID Number in someone elses name or the business in someone elses name, because that is the only legal way it could be unless you aren't paying Payroll taxes, FICA, SS and Unemployment taxes.

At 17 aren't you still in high school also?

Again, I truly am not busting your bubble here and I admire hard work but if these things are true you are treading on some very, very thin ice and your 18th birthday can't come soon enough for you.

qualitylandscaping
08-30-2004, 11:21 AM
This business is in my dads name.. It will be transfered to me when I turn 18.

The insurance is in the business name. You don't need to give personal info for a business liability policy, all they asked for from me was a copy of the DBA..

Tax ID # and the Employer ID # are in my dads name also, but will be transfered to me when I turn 18..

No, I dropped out of school to do this full time..

AintNoFun
08-30-2004, 11:59 AM
just a quick question.... what are you going to do if you get underbid the next year on the job or something doesn't work out? and you are sitting on a 100 grand worth of equipment? plus add up payroll taxes and work comp just for a year on 14 guys.......

MMLawn
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
That makes much more since then Steve. Good luck in whatever you decide and think about at least geeting yourself a GED for the future.

txlawnking
08-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Steve, I admire the courage you have. To do what I was too lazy/scared to do at your age.. Learn everything you can about proper management ot money/business, let your money work for you, and in a few years some presently hating you will be aking you.. " Can I have a JOB man? " I will say hiowever, choose you battles carefully.. In other words.. Make sure you have a bulletproof, VERY thouroughly researched biz plan before taking on a job of this magnitude.. If you've done your due dilligence, then God bless.

LwnmwrMan22
08-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Personally, after doing this job for 16 years, I would never touch a property like that.

Biggest problem -

How are you going to retain enough employees from year to year?

I see you're in New York, so there will be an off season.

Most likely, unless you get into ALOT of plowing, sidewalk work, etc., you're going to have to let your employees go.

It's okay for right now, especially if you've got high school friends that will help, but even that doesn't always work out.

If you're going to hire out of the paper, or a temp worker place, then you're going to have a high turnover.

Especially from year to year, since most people are going to want to have a full time income year-round.

I'm biased, after dealing with employees.

With the right banker and enough credit cards, you can buy all the equipment you need to just about mow the entire U.S., the problem is finding enough people to run it, to run it all efficiently, and not to destroy it any sooner than your business plan says when it's time to buy something new.

qualitylandscaping
08-30-2004, 04:30 PM
The resort is open year round.. That will keep all of my guys busy 11 months out of the year.. I will not be plowing this season, as their current contract runs out March 30, 2005..

There will be enough plowing, sidewalk work to keep everyone busy.. Each sidewalk on every floor of the hotel needs to be shoveled along with walkways. Will be using snowblowers for the larger areas.. And tons of plowing..

It is a 3yr minimum contract w/ up to a 25% increase yearly.

LwnmwrMan22
08-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.... you'll be lucky to get a 3-5% increase, sorry.

LwnmwrMan22
08-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Quality -

I know you know the guy that owns this place personally and all, but if I were you, and you believe this deal will actually come to fruition for you, you may want to drop this thread.

I only say this, because there will be guys that will "lawn chase".

Kinda like storm chasers with the chain saws and all.

They'll fly up there, or drive over from wherever they live in the NE and try to bid it out from underneath you.

With your other posts, you've basically said all the work that needs to be done, a ballpark time and price.

Guys on here know darn well that if you're already in upstate NY or that area, or they've got a brother up there, that someone's going to be looking at it, "shoot, I can do that cheaper".

You said in a previous post that you're trying to price it out so "If I bring in $100,000 for myself I would be happy and I wouldn't have to lift a finger.."

There'll be guys that'll bid it so they can make $25,000 and not lift a finger.

Not that your age should be a factor, but one thing you'll learn soon enough, is that there are alot of cutthroat guys, that'll stab you in the back, then drive their mower right over you if you're in the way of them making their stripes.

Mycannon
08-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22
Quality -

I know you know the guy that owns this place personally and all, but if I were you, and you believe this deal will actually come to fruition for you, you may want to drop this thread.

I only say this, because there will be guys that will "lawn chase".

Kinda like storm chasers with the chain saws and all.

They'll fly up there, or drive over from wherever they live in the NE and try to bid it out from underneath you.

With your other posts, you've basically said all the work that needs to be done, a ballpark time and price.

Guys on here know darn well that if you're already in upstate NY or that area, or they've got a brother up there, that someone's going to be looking at it, "shoot, I can do that cheaper".

You said in a previous post that you're trying to price it out so "If I bring in $100,000 for myself I would be happy and I wouldn't have to lift a finger.."

There'll be guys that'll bid it so they can make $25,000 and not lift a finger.

Not that your age should be a factor, but one thing you'll learn soon enough, is that there are alot of cutthroat guys, that'll stab you in the back, then drive their mower right over you if you're in the way of them making their stripes. AMEN to this one

qualitylandscaping
08-31-2004, 12:33 AM
How are they going to know where it is?!

The finger lakes region is over 1500 square miles.. Haven't mentioned the name of the place and there are hundreds of resorts in the area..

I don't care if someone else takes it.. I don't need the work.. It would just be a nice bonus and would pay me to sit on my butt all day

chevyman1
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
I know exactly where it is Quality, my sister in law lives up there and we drove past it last summer...they are right be careful dude