PDA

View Full Version : How wet is to wet

No Lawncares
08-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey guys I want to thank many of you for all the useful knowledge I have picked up here. And I was wondering if you mow in the rain and when I say rain I mean light to moderate rain, not downpours?

fcl01
08-27-2004, 11:07 PM
we mow in rain all the time. you gotta remember that alot of guys on here, that are from oregon or washington, mow in rain almost everyday. its a pain but you gotta keep up

dkeisala
08-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by fcl01
you gotta remember that alot of guys on here, that are from oregon or washington, mow in rain almost everyday. OK, this is a stretch but yes, we mow in the rain quite a bit but like he said, you gotta keep on schedule.

HOOLIE
08-27-2004, 11:35 PM
I've always found an easy way to judge "wetness", is by looking at the pavement. If the pavements drying off, the grass is too. That being said, I factor in how the weeks looking. Supposed to rain for 3 or 4 days? Gotta do what ya gotta do. First rain in 5 weeks? Probably gonna stay home that day. There's no golden rule to this. Like mentioned above, if you work in a "wet" area, you'll work in it.

luckyduck
08-27-2004, 11:58 PM
how many people here are really from oregon?

qualitylandscaping
08-28-2004, 12:04 AM
we mow unless a 3pt turn tears up the lawn.. Then its useless and all we do is make a mess..

pcnservices
08-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by luckyduck
how many people here are really from oregon?
Jim Lewis from Lewis Landscape - he's a great contributor to this website.

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by luckyduck
how many people here are really from oregon? 4 that I know of and I'm just across the border so that makes 5. It appears that landscape maintenance is a far bigger industry in the east and SE.

No Lawncares
08-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Thx guys, I was wondering because it seems every Thursday it has rained this summer. That is my biggest day of the week and I don't like working weekends, so most of the time I mow through it, unless thunder and lighting.

GarPA
08-28-2004, 04:54 AM
we try to avoid mowing in the rain and would rather work dawn to dusk that week to get caught up. We will do some commercial properties if we have no choice but residential we try to stay off of if raining because of the mess it makes not only in the lawn, but on the street, sidewalks and driveway

Five Diamond Lawns
08-28-2004, 07:58 AM
"If you don't mow in the rain you don't mow" That's the NW version of the lawn care business.:(

RedWingsDet
08-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by No Lawncares
Hey guys I want to thank many of you for all the useful knowledge I have picked up here. And I was wondering if you mow in the rain and when I say rain I mean light to moderate rain, not downpours?

hey, i cant answer your question, but i think ive seen your before, do ya have an ford ranger or something. because ive seen one before in harper woods. im just wondering where most of your clientle is and if it was you or not?

No Lawncares
08-28-2004, 06:04 PM
No, I'm based out of Jackson. About 60 miles from where you are.

Yard Perfect
08-28-2004, 06:21 PM
I am from Washington and NO, it does not rain every day. Most, but not all. I have been at this for 6 years and have yet to miss a day of mowing because of rain. Every day is fully booked, which means missing is not an option and at my age(56), weekends are for play, not for work.

naturescape
08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
My general rule is to go back out when the pavement is about 50% wet. Seems to work well in this area.

barringtonbrothers
08-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Been mowing in the rain for the last 4 days no choice. The only time we wont work in the rain is if its raining so hard we cant see or its lightning out.

NelsonLandworks
08-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by barringtonbrothers
Been mowing in the rain for the last 4 days no choice. The only time we wont work in the rain is if its raining so hard we cant see or its lightning out.

what kind of setup do you have? Are you running a multching kit, bagging, side discharge?

if i'm not bagging i'm making more of a mess for myself

promower
08-28-2004, 10:41 PM
The worst part about mowing in the rain is blowing the clippings off driveways and sidewalks. The quickest part of the job becomes the longest.:angry:

MJB
08-29-2004, 01:44 AM
How do you deal with the larger properties when riders sink in a make big muddy ruts????

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 01:50 AM
I mow in rain when i have to. I am forced to bag which adds work. Part of the reason I bag wet grass is that it IS so hard to blow off the walks and such.

Five Diamond Lawns
08-29-2004, 12:10 PM
ALWAYS bag in the rain. Use your best, highest RPM, bagging mower even if its a 21" and empty the bag when it's 1/2 full. Turn the mower on it's side and clean out under the deck at least once after each job and any time you see any clumps left on the grass.

That's mowing in the rain:blob2: