PDA

View Full Version : adding lights and ROPS for SCAG Tiger Cub?

xhoosier
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Hi

Has anyone added lights to the Scag tiger cub. I sometimes run a little past sunset and would like to know if there is a light system I can add on. Not sure if the battery or regulator would handle it. Where can I get one that would work.

Also, I didn't purchase a ROPS from the dealer. Was very expensive and not sure if I need it right now. Does anyone know of a aftermarket place to buy one. Curious about the prices vs the Scag dealer. The brackets come already installed on the 2004 machines so I just need the roll bar systems

Thanks,
mark

Sam-Ohio
08-28-2004, 01:39 AM
There is no such thing as an aftermarket roll bar system for these machines. The systems put out by each manufacturer and sold through their dealers is all that is available.

The reason that "ROPS" [rollover protection systems] are so expensive has much more to do with lawyers and courts , and cost of liability insurance, than the actual cost of making the roll bar. The cost of liability insurance is terrific for the manufacturers of these systems. If you have a local welder/fab shop that ain't too bright, and doesn't realize that he is putting everything he evey owned at risk , then he probably will make you one up fairly cheap. If you do get a roll bar, don't forget a good well anchored seat belt, cause if you pitch out of the seat on a roll over, and the roll bar gets you, it will injure you much worse than the machine itself would have. It's so narrow, that the 1000 pounds of Tiger Cub on top of it will maybe cut you in half.

If you want lights on your Scag, why not go to a local farm supply store and get a pair of 30 or 35 watt mountable lights and drill a couple of holes in the hydro stick base brackets of your Scag and bolt them on. Put a switch into the control panel where your throttle and choke are, and run a wire from the battery to the switch, and then to each light. The charging system on the engine should be able to handle the current load from just two headlights.