PDA

View Full Version : Encore double take... ironic

Envy Lawn Service
08-28-2004, 01:07 AM
OK guys, I've held my peace about this for a while. But I can no longer stand not to tell a story and most importantly, pose a serious question.

My family and I went out for dinner one late afternoon. As we were driving we past a hotel something caught my eye as well as my wife's. It was a trailer hooked to a van, loaded with red mowers I did not recognize... and both of us were so taken by a drive by that we had to turn around for a close up look... LOL!!!

Anyways, this must have been a rep or distributor out with some demo/prototype mowers... the van was totally decked out in Shindawia trim.. The mowers were solid red... well sorta red-orange.

Holy cow were these mowers ever rather intimidating looking, even the smaller one. I thought wow. Of course by the title of this thread you know, but to my surprise these were Encore Z's. They were not the 'online' color scheme nor did they really look the build of what you see on their site. But I was able to recognize one was certainly a Prowler Mid-Cut and the other a Z-Series 48" or 52"....

The point I'm trying to make is, these were the two most visually impressive mowers I have EVER laid eyes on in my life. Beefcake and Brawny if you will. A whole big bunch of thick steel and a very heavy, impressive, beefy build...

So the question is this...
I recall a whole lot of trash talk about Encore mowers being of flimsy build, ect... So now I'm forced to ask... have any of you guys ever laid eyes on these mowers, other than on their website?

I ask this because the impression I had stored in my mind just got blown away that day. I wish I would have had a camera with me at the time to snap some pictures of them for you guys to see...

Richard Martin
08-28-2004, 04:38 AM
I've seen a few at shows and what-not. There's also one a few blocks away from me. They just look like your average run of the mill mower to me.

Runner
08-28-2004, 09:12 AM
It's not what meets the eye, it's what you DON'T see that breaks on commercial units. They can take a Sherman tank, and if it has weaker hydro pumps, motors, and other componentry like bearings and such, it's going to go down. Remember, they keep these costs down SOMEhow. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

pcnservices
08-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Envy, You're right.
Yes I have seen them. I use Encore and are very involved with them too. Between our lco's (that owns and uses Encore) here in town we run prototype units for testing purposes all the time. What better testing ground can they have than having lco's run their machines on the front end.
The new 2004 line-up of Encore's mower is a totally different deal.
They changed the color to a more aggressive looking red, new molded side tanks with cup holders and the engine on the 52" and 61" Prowlers is a 28hp and 31 hp Vangaurd engines. More horse power, very quiet low revving engines. They all comes standard with suspension seats. New steering control boxes for smoother operation. Foot lift deck assist, etc.

PC

Mark McC
08-28-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't know zip about zeroes, but the Encore Z48 lists a drive system consisting of "2 - Hydrogear Pumps, belt driven." Is that standard?

pcnservices
08-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Here's my 52" with Encore manufacturing's 72" This is still the old (probably not too attractive) style.
It gets used between about a half dozen lco's and we mow anything from pastures to ditches to sportfields randomly on a weekly basis - we just keep it full of gas and sharpen the blades. The lawn pictured was mowed with the 72".
Any new component that needs testing, gets installed and tested on this mower. Currently they have a 33hp Vangaurd l/c motor on it. The construction and frame on this 72" is NO different than on the 52" - they're exactly the same. I dont know how old and how many hours on this mower - but till today no structural damage like cracks, bend frames etc.

MMLawn
08-28-2004, 10:35 AM
My Toro dealer who also sells Encore told me that the same guy that started and developed Exmark and then sold it is the same guy that now owns and started Encore.

pcnservices
08-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Correct, here's the history.
Encore's company history (http://www.encoreequipment.com/pages/pages03/about.html)

MMLawn
08-28-2004, 02:32 PM
He also told me that the 3 slashes on their logo stood for the 3rd lawn mower company the owner has been involved with.

Envy Lawn Service
08-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
He also told me that the 3 slashes on their logo stood for the 3rd lawn mower company the owner has been involved with.
Correct... First FD Kees (Yazoo/Kees)... Then eXmark... Now Encore...

An interesting conversation piece I have posed before which was promptly dismissed here...

MMLawn
08-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Correct... First FD Kees (Yazoo/Kees)... Then eXmark... Now Encore...

An interesting conversation piece I have posed before which was promptly dismissed here...

Sorry I didn't see it because I wouldn't have dismissed it as I think stuff like that is cool info.:cool2:

WoodBrothersLC
08-28-2004, 04:54 PM
We have two Encore's one being a 36" and the other a 48". The Encore's are awesome and are built very well. Our 48" is 10 years old and only thing we replaced was the engine (bad maintenance) never had a weld break or anything on it. We would recommend these mowers to anyone looking at getting a new mower.

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by pcnservices
Envy, You're right.
Yes I have seen them. I use Encore and are very involved with them too. Between our lco's (that owns and uses Encore) here in town we run prototype units for testing purposes all the time. What better testing ground can they have than having lco's run their machines on the front end.
The new 2004 line-up of Encore's mower is a totally different deal.
They changed the color to a more aggressive looking red, new molded side tanks with cup holders and the engine on the 52" and 61" Prowlers is a 28hp and 31 hp Vangaurd engines. More horse power, very quiet low revving engines. They all comes standard with suspension seats. New steering control boxes for smoother operation. Foot lift deck assist, etc.

PC

PC,

You know the mowers I speak of I think. Yeah the tanks are totally different and the color is all red. The color of the ones I saw reminded me of an old faded Gravely lawn tractor red. A heavy equipment red of sorts.

Anyways, the construction of these makes those pictured look built of match sticks. Heavier frame, heavier front axle, beefy looking metal guard cover in back, beefy looking deck, big aggressive tires, lower overall profile and a low wide stance unlike anything I've seen.

Impressive...

pcnservices
08-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Yes, structurally these mowers are strong and build to last forever BUT the one major difference and advantage of the Encore mowers above all the other brands are the articulating deck. This IMO is a true floating deck. Demo one and put it through it's paces and you'll be sold.
Check the picture I posted earlier to see how the deck is suspended with a pivoting front axle an the crank and pivot type suspension. Very smooth ride, even cut and possible to mow over uneven terrain without scalping. Your front caster wheels are actually the anti scalp rollers.

Tider6972
08-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Are you talking about the Prowler, or a different, new mower?

The Prowler looks good. I wonder why the 10 ga. deck, when the 'big boys' are going more to full 7 ga.(Toro, Hustler, Gravely) ?