PDA

View Full Version : it finally happened to me!

rookiemower
08-28-2004, 02:19 AM
left my gas cans out last night, and someone stole my 6 gallon blitz gas can that i just filled. i am so pissed!:angry: now i have to watch the garage because next it will be equipment. thank god i unloaded the equipmnt lat night once in a while ill leave it out,thank god:rolleyes:

Forest
08-28-2004, 03:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. But at least it was only a gas can Right?

Envy Lawn Service
08-28-2004, 03:48 AM
Now that would piss me off! I used to have a gas thief steal it out of my Z.... but atleast they didn't steal my prized Blitz cans...

Speaking of Blitz gas cans... where the heck can you still get a decent old style one? I'm not to fond of the ventless vent through the spout type I'm seeing everywhere!

T Edwards
08-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Just in case they come back, you ought to leave a decoy can filled with the liquid of your choice for them.

Precision
08-28-2004, 08:02 AM
naw just spike your decoy with alittle sugar.

A few months ago, when I ws 2 months into the business, I had someone steal new stihl edger, weedwacker, hedgetrimmer, and a used weedwacker. So I know the annoyance. And mine was locked in a garage.

Greenservice
08-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Strangely enough, the only thing I've ever had stolen off my trailer was a wheelbarrow. And this was when I didn't have a garage and everything sat out.

I'd like to know where to get the old-fashioned gas cans too.

BobR
08-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Another thread on Lawnsite has some good info on procuring plastic vented and metal gas cans, take a peek at thread titled

What happened to the good gas cans?

BobR

travis55
08-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Time to set some security cameras up.

Runner
08-28-2004, 09:33 AM
I've always had this "phobia" of leaving gas out, for fear not of thieves, but for arsonists - kids messin' around.

impactlandscaping
08-28-2004, 10:25 AM
I'd leave another , brand new can full of gas and Clorox out for them to take again. Sugar doesn't do much to an engine, but bleach will certainly kill it.

John Gamba
08-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by impactlandscaping
I'd leave another , brand new can full of gas and Clorox out for them to take again. Sugar doesn't do much to an engine, but bleach will certainly kill it.

I like this one!!!
John

Ol'time Lawncare
08-28-2004, 10:38 AM
for about 45 bucks you can get a cheep camera and hook it up to your pc,then you will have evidence.

impactlandscaping
08-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
I like this one!!!
John

Hey John,I saw that on Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel...they tortured the hell out of a Cadillac 500 big block..:D

olderthandirt
08-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Experience counts :) and for us that know you drop the discovery channel bull:D

Mac

John Gamba
08-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey John,I saw that on Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel...they tortured the hell out of a Cadillac 500 big block..:D

LOLOLOL
John

BMFD92
08-28-2004, 12:49 PM
yea the other day someone stole all my trimmer line and pack of oil

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 12:51 PM
The only thing I've had stolen was a plastic tarp. Of all the things they could have grabbed off the trailer, they take a tarp?

ALarsh
08-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Go to your local hardware store and buy a large overhead light that has a motion sensor on it (light mounts to the side of your house). The motion sensor covers a very large area. Now, whenever there is any motion in our driveway at night (only comes on at night), our whole driveway is light up by this light. Park your trailer in the area that the motion sensors work so if they try to steal your stuff they will run away because of the light.

We also have a security camera under the over hang of our house. The camera is rigged so whenever you turn any TV in the house to channel 90, you see a live picture of our driveway. If you are in bed and think somebody's stealing your stuff, just turn on the tv to channel 90 and you see a picture of the driveway. If you see the motion sensor light on, you know there is somebody out there.

Just a few suggestions.

fcl01
08-28-2004, 02:13 PM
people dont steal from me, knock on wood!
things that do steal stuff off my trailer--
1. potholes- numerous items like a cone holder, cooler lid etc.
2. treelimbs- rakes
3. mailbox- cupholder from the watercooler (OOPS)!! got juuust a little to close:O

lawnman_scott
08-28-2004, 02:19 PM
forget the lights, cameras, and decoy cans full of bleach. Put the can in the garage. Simple solutions for simple problems.

Gilla Gorilla
08-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Actually gasoline will take out a fuel injection system if a couple of pounds are poured in the fuel tank. I have seen it happen to a couple of Fords when I worked in the shop of a Ford dealership.

This poor chatholic school teacher had sugar poured in her tank of a one year old Crown Vic, had to drop the fuel tank and drain and clean it out replace the fuel lines from tank to injector rail, replace all 8 injectors and of course flush the fuel system after it was all put back together. It ran her insurance company $3000.00 for that bill.

If you put enough sugar in the fuel tank it will gel up, that is a definate.

CJ GreenScapes
08-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Gilla Gorilla
Actually gasoline will take out a fuel injection system if a couple of pounds are poured in the fuel tank.

Is that what I've been doing wrong? :D