PDA

View Full Version : old lesco spreader/like new

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Man o man ive had this lesco spreader since 91 and have replaced the gears and know the hopper,,,, yesterday a good friend welded 4 inchs on each side to extend the handles ,,like the new ones ,,,omg i,m in heaven .!! I,m ole skewl and wont buy a new one till this one is dead ,,but it wont die!!
I would tell any one to do this
i was told that the new handles wont bolt up to the old frame
life is good again

James Cormier
08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
I got one I bought in 89, that baby has seen zillions of sq ft, fell of a few trucks, even a 5 story building ( dont ask ) Currently my dad uses it to apply Ice melt during the winter. My newer one was bought in 95, she's still got plenty of life in her. However since the PG's have come along in 2000, they spend more time in the shop resting than working

goforgreen2
08-31-2004, 07:33 PM
I inherited an old Barefoot in the Grass one (yellow), just put a new set of gears and is brand new again!

tremor
08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I dug my personal spreader out of the dumpster of my old Chemlawn branch in 1986. It had to be a couple years old then. Low wheels, painted (not epoxy) frame, & the covetted "Golf Ball Logo" on the hopper. Every single part has been changed (except the hopper) at least once over the years. So today the frame is all Stainless with all modern wheels & sealed gears.

Was it worth it? Not for anyone else it wouldn't have been. Only because of my employee discount was it possible.

Twenty year old spreader. Jeez. For sure it has more sentimental value than monetary value at this point. LOL

James Cormier
08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
I remember going from those small wheels to the " high wheel stainless" wow was that awesome.

My 89 is like a old friend, I started my business with it, that and a old hand can, dont have that anymore

While we are reminiscing here, remember the old salco cam aerators, the big metal boxes that weighted 800 lbs ( or it seemed ) with tiny little wheels on it. The center of gravity on that unit seemed like maybe 8 feet high. But boy did it pull good plugs.

Green Dreams
08-31-2004, 09:48 PM
I miss the old design. Going from the small wheels to the big ones was like night and day. I had forgotten all about that...

MrBarefoot
08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
I personally liked the small wheels.

When I was at Barefoot Grass "back in the day", I would seek out the small wheel spreaders and hog them. I liked them because they throw further.

I even modified the high wheel spreader I bought when I when on my own, to the old low wheel. Want to see some pic's?

tremor
09-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I still have a Salsco cam aerator. Got a whole box of new parts too. Springs, tines, the works. If someone wants it enough to drive to White Plains NY to pick ip up, it's $100 as is plus coffee. Black no sugar.

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Tremor, is that the one I described? big square box?

Take a photo and post it.

tremor
09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
That sounds like the one. Four pneumatic tires on the rear axle? Figures, I was there yesterday too. I'll be back there next week & I'll click a picture.

grassguy_
09-02-2004, 10:16 PM
that small wheel one, man my back still kills me from 17 years ago and pushing the stupid thing compared to the high wheel,which was a world of difference!

Grassmechanic
09-03-2004, 03:00 PM
grassguy - my sentiments exactly! The small wheels seemed to get caught on ruts easier and would bounce around more. This was really noticable when pushing a hopper full of 80# of fert. But, as somebody had previously mentioned, the small wheeled job threw the fert better.

teeca
09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
junk all those lesco's and get a spreader that can make you more money! get a sr2000 from scotts. this spreader spreads 14' and it puts prouduct down EVEN and theres no need to throw back to your tracks! cost a little more $475, but it will out proudce any push spreader. the only draw back is the 50# hopper.

TurfProSTL
09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks James and Tremor for reminding me of the NIGHTMARE that my one and only Salsco cam aerator was. The first day out, I twisted and had to replace the shaft. It never really got better. Had to have tougher springs fabricated and went to a plastic "beater bar". Even paid a helper to go out with me - he helped replace springs as they broke (2 man job).

The thing did pull great cores when it was running. 1 day production = 1 day of repair. Guess our heavy clay soil was too much for it. Those things would have been ideal as ship anchors.....