PDA

View Full Version : killing sedges w/Roundup

khutch
08-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Never had sedge in Bermuda lawns like this year. Can't remember if the sedge dies or goes dormant during the winter. I hope it lives so I can KILL it w/Roundup! I'm hearing control of sedges is just about a waste of time and product right now. What are some of everybodies strategies for sedge control, end of season?

out4now
08-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Round up is non-selective so it will kill your bermuda. Dr. Kopec at University of Arizona always told us to use a product called Manage in his seminars, and it seems to work effectively over time. Tough to get rid of it once it's established.

JoeinJasper
08-28-2004, 04:34 PM
You can also use Image, or MSMA to control sedges in bermuda.

gravedigger5
08-28-2004, 05:23 PM
We had an over abundance of yellow nutsedge this year and ended up using Manage cause that was what everybody recomended. Worked great. Mowed the yards several days later and the nutsedge never came back, DEAD. Did not notice any damage to the turf grass at all, either. Even when I got back to the shop to rinse the tank out, I sprayed the tank rinse on my own yard and it wiped out the nutsedge the same as the regular dose. Marc

P.S. I would not use roundup on any surface I did not want to kill.

grassguy_
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Use Manage or Basagran, both do a decent job. Round up usually wont get a good kill on yellow nutsedge, just to hard to get the nutlet destroyed below the surface, where Manage will get down into and usually burn the nutlet out.

khutch
08-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Let me reword that - I of course mean when the Bermuda is dormant - spray the sedge with round-up. Lot cheaper and much quicker than Manage?
I just hear Image and some of the others take time, time, time. I was thinking an advantage of dormant Bermuda is you can zap about anything in the yard w/a non-selective....

GroundKprs
08-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Yellow nutsedge is a warm season plant. It will go dormant along with, or probably even before your bermuda, so the dormant Roundup app will get you nowhere.

Use Manage during the summer when it is actively growing. Basagran will also work, but is not as effective in getting rid of the nutsedge. Don't plan on a single app of Manage fixing the problem. I have taken up to 4-5 years to knock down established yellow nutsedge to the point that you can pull the few that appear.

GroundKprs
Yellow nutsedge is a warm season plant. It will go dormant along with, or probably even before your bermuda, so the dormant Roundup app will get you nowhere.

Use Manage during the summer when it is actively growing. Basagran will also work, but is not as effective in getting rid of the nutsedge. Don't plan on a single app of Manage fixing the problem. I have taken up to 4-5 years to knock down established yellow nutsedge to the point that you can pull the few that appear.

GroundKprs

Neal Wolbert
08-29-2004, 01:34 AM
Yellow nutsedge reproduces from nutlets on the roots. They can begin to form at the 4-6 leaf stage which is pretty early on. Try to do your Manage spray when you first see the plants and spray again when you notice any new plants. My company treated an abandonded 27 acre nursery three times a year for several years and new plants kept coming every year. They decided to take over in-house and I'm not sure how things went after that. For sure it is a terrible, tough weed. Make sure you don't use silicone surfactant with Manage, it will lessen the control. Neal

kootoomootoo
08-29-2004, 02:16 AM
I used drive (1lb/acre) on a bluegrass lawn infested with nutsedge 7 days ago and the nutsedge is already dieing off. FYI Uni of illinois did a test and found drive gave 100% control over nutsedge.

khutch
08-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Yo, kootoomootoo; I can't believe 100% control over nutsedge! Everything I'm hearing is more on the line of some of the other posts. Multiple apps, sometimes over a period of years!
Any links to that UofI study?
And I am hearing both Drive and Managework well, are these offering some Pre-Em control or is just a Post product?
Image touts itself on its label as being specfic for Sedges but few people seem to be using it, and the rap is it is a very slow kill.
If it takes time, I can understand, no problem. I am looking to avoid trying and experimenting with everything out there....

kootoomootoo
08-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Kinda weird basf / Drive dont list anything about nutsedge on there label but the university trial and my own eyes prove it works great.

http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/research/summaries/1991/91_10.2.pdf

Eclipse
08-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Has anybody had success with Drive to control nutsedge? It seems like Manage is the preferred product but should Drive be considered as a viable alternative (given the U of I info this appears to be true)?

out4now
09-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Power points from UofA on nutsedge. http://cals.arizona.edu/turf/presentations.htm