PDA

View Full Version : Sedge control with Round-up

khutch
08-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Never had sedge in Bermuda lawns like this year. Can't remember if the sedge dies or goes dormant during the winter. I hope it lives so I can KILL it w/Roundup! I'm hearing control of sedges is just about a waste of time and product right now. What are some of everybodies strategies for sedge control, end of season?

kickin sum grass
08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
are you talking nutsedge? If so round up will only kill topgrowth but do nothing for the nutlets. Manage is a much better product. If it any other type of sedge you are referring to than sorry I can not help cuz we mainly deal with nutsedge here.

khutch
08-28-2004, 09:44 PM
I thought round-up was pretty systemic and would get to the nuts....

Premo Services
08-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by kickin sum grass
are you talking nutsedge? If so round up will only kill topgrowth but do nothing for the nutlets. Manage is a much better product. If it any other type of sedge you are referring to than sorry I can not help cuz we mainly deal with nutsedge here.

True, True, roundup will burn it off, but it comes right back. It can not get the nutlets under the groung. I have had good results with manage in lawns and landscape areas where it is a problem.Need more than one application to be made.

khutch
08-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Question for you Premo; How is the weather season affecting the process? Sedge being so hardy, do you get better results with certain, say lower temps. Fall of course being a great time to kill off Broadleafs, does that also translate over to better kill rates with sedges?

Premo Services
08-30-2004, 08:32 AM
This is what I try to do. I have made applications this year in July and august and the second application really knocked it out, but I guess that next spring will tell if the later season applications did a good job. The article states to try to treat early in the season before the tuber formation starts.