PDA

View Full Version : Leaf season is coming!!!

Detailed LawnService
08-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Could people please list some of the ways they charge weekly mow customers for leaf pick-ups. Sush as per bagger full, or per hr, and so on. Leaves are starting to fall on some trees and we always like to give that finished golf course cut with no lying debri.
I was thinking $3-$5 a bagger full.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lqmustang
08-28-2004, 06:12 PM
I use a standard Scag 4 cu. ft. bag on my wb, and charge price of the mow + $2 per bag of leaves. Disposal included in that price.

grassyfras
08-28-2004, 06:15 PM
This year I'm doing 2x mowing price for weekly leaves, 3x for 14-25 days. Anything more would be at least 4-6x.

leeslawncare
08-28-2004, 06:22 PM
I charge 45.00 per hr (1 hr min) plus disposal

walker-talker
08-28-2004, 06:29 PM
I wait until all leaves have fallen. I use a blower to blow out beds, collect with my Walker. Suck the leaves using a leaf vac and I haul using a grain truck with a box built on the bed. For this I charge $60 an hour.

fga
08-28-2004, 06:33 PM
tha way i do it, and it has worked for me is, I continue with the weekly service and keep that charge the same. I then on the final bill add a "additional leaf clean up fee".
I determine how much EXTRA (on top of you weekly service charge) i want for the season. that way there is no debate over time spent when charging by the hour, especially if you buy big leaf chipping equipment that makes you job faster.
and there's no argueing with an old woman that "...the 3rd bag you left is half full", or "those are small bags though".

Say you get $100 a month for the monthly service. say you feel you want $150 for the ADDITIONAL time you spent (keep in mind your still getting the the money from the monthly service..), then on your last bill, it will say

Monthly service........... $100
Adittional leaf charge ..$150

total due $250
but i state it is a must that i continue routine service until the leaves are done.

rodfather
08-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Vac or blow, $95 a man hour here...and there is NO negotiating on the rate...take it or leave it cause there is a line of people waiting behind you. Period

odin
08-28-2004, 06:47 PM
two ways ..first for city sized lot 's we mow up the leaves every week at double a lawn mowing charge and 20 dollars a ultra vac full for dbriee.
Cheapest mow is 30 a week ....30X2 =60 and on these lots we usally get one ultra vac full of the excess leves off the lawn .useally these lawns fetch 80 to a hundred for 20 to 30 minutes in and out.

Bigger lawns with manytrees and lots of beds to blow out was chargeing 80 a man hour this year its 90 a man hour .

lawnguyland
08-28-2004, 07:53 PM
I also do weekly service at same price as mow but only get the leaves off the turf. In december I do a fall clean-up and charge at least 150$ for that, much like fga

Shuter
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
If you only want $2.00 per bagger please come see me, I will put you to good work. My average Fall clean-up is $400.00 per yard.

lqmustang
08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Shuter
If you only want $2.00 per bagger please come see me, I will put you to good work. My average Fall clean-up is $400.00 per yard.

Ok, let me clarify, it is the mow price, plus $2 per bag, and I pick up weekly until the trees are bare or the first heavy snowfall. I was getting roughly $60-$75 per hour using this method working solo. I'm not complaining. From what I see here my method gets me near what alot of you are charging. That is also for my regular customers, as asked by the original poster. For someone not a regular customer, prices would be slightly higher. I am normaly busy enough in the fall with my weekly customers that I don't take many extra leaf pickups. Also, my disposal only cost me $5 per load, so I don't need to add alot for dumping fees, unlike alot of others.

corey
08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
I usually do a leaf removal on a yard .5 to 1 acre at 65.00 pr hour and I try to give a per estimated time line before starting the job. but it is a estimate and they know it can be more or less time . Haul away included.

NelsonLandworks
08-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Last year we did them by thew job and made out real well. thus year we'll be doing a lot of cleanups for the accounts that we mow so we're going to have to figure out a different method for them, prob cost of mowing x2+haul away

Eric 1
08-28-2004, 09:38 PM
SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!, they may here you.

Detailed LawnService
08-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies and i cant beleive i didnt get one person tell me to do a search.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I never tell people to do a search however I would like it if the leaf season posts waited a little longer. I for one am not looking forward to my 17th season of fall clean ups which looks to be about 2 months of pure hell with only rain days off. Perhaps I am bit moody on the subject but I know all to well what its like to do 150 clean ups with a company my size. The only bright spot is I will be buying a brand new 2005 3500 hd dodge mason dump truck for this season and for a third cutting truck for next year.

NelsonLandworks
08-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
The only bright spot is I will be buying a brand new 2005 3500 hd dodge mason dump truck for this season and for a third cutting truck for next year.

that sounds like it's all worth it in the end. After this fall we'll prob end up buying a vac for next fall

Kelly's Landscaping
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
I got a 20 hp giant vac truck loader now for my rack body truck I am agonizing on should I pick up a swing away 16 vac for the truck I am picking up. I think were going to try to get by with out the cost is enough for pause I want to make a profit this fall unlike last fall. Last year it was something like 9 k for set up so we hardly made a profit since with a delayed start {donít ask} we only had about 15 days of work before and early snow fall shut us down.

clc2003
08-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Where do you find those big vacs that i have seen attached to trucks. Don't know much about leaf clean-ups. You might see my questions in another thread. but I thought I would ask here as well.

mbricker
08-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Check your lawn equipment dealers for one that handles BillyGoat. That's the brand of leaf loader used most in this area.

I'm hoping leaf season starts late and is slow for the first few weeks. In past years I've picked up or mulched leaves as I mowed the last few times, with no extra charge until the volume of leaves starts to grow. That's lawn areas only, of course. I tell customers not to expect me to start blowing leaves out of landscaping until 1) most of the leaves are down, or 2) the customer specifically requests it.

The biggest problem I've had is, when I get to the point where a lot of leaves are down, I switch to an hourly charge, and I always get way too kind-hearted when I write the bill. (Or cowardly) I finish something I should charge $200 for, and I start thinking, "Wow, they will hit the ceiling." And I cut the price to $140.

But now I'm counting down to getting out of the lawn business, and the goal is to be out by Oct. 31. And I hope I have not had to do too many leaves by then

NelsonLandworks
08-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by mbricker

But now I'm counting down to getting out of the lawn business, and the goal is to be out by Oct. 31. And I hope I have not had to do too many leaves by then

sorry to hear your getting out, hopefully it's becdause you want to and not because your forced to

LCME
08-30-2004, 10:41 AM
This is my first fall clean-up. I started lawn service in July. After reading all posts here I think I may have a few ideas to get through cost of clean-ups. I only have 48 W/B with 3 bushel side bagger. I like the idea of weekly mowing cost x2 including disposal fee. Once all leaves have fallen, charge between $45-65 per man hour for other areas to clean out. Beds, under trees, gutters, etc. plus disposal fee. Depends on what areas the customer wants cleaned up. I believe the minimal should be weekly mowing x2 until all leaves have fallen. Am I on the right track?.

chevyman1
08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
I simply plan on mowing everyone like normal until the very last cut, at which time we will rake/blow/bag everything around the end of October or early November...between now and then, we will just double cut and dice those leaves up with the gator blades, and the last cut/cleanup will have 1 big charge on there, between $100 and $300 likely

Dig-it Landscaping
08-30-2004, 11:43 AM
How much would you charge if you didn't have a bagger or a leafvac and were just going to pick up the leaves /hr? How expensive are most baggers for 48" WB? Thankyou for any help.

LCME
08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Dig-it Landscaping
How much would you charge if you didn't have a bagger or a leafvac and were just going to pick up the leaves /hr? How expensive are most baggers for 48" WB? Thankyou for any help.

I purchased a 3 bushel side bagger for my Exmark w/b from the dealer for $250. Not cheap. But, I used It on a 100x250 lot and picked up small sticks, leaves, grass, etc. Lawn looked great. I only had to empty the bagger 2x. Started my own compost pile.

DSIM
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
hmmmm.. disposal fee?
I bag the leaves at $5 per bag (55gal) and leave them on the curb for the city to pick up.