PDA

View Full Version : New Holland

yukonpeat
08-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Has anyone tried the New Holland Backhoes? How do they stack up against JD and Case? Price wise they seem to be a good deal. Out in BC Canada. Not allot of them around. How are they doing out east? I was thinking of a LB75.B

For that matter how does the New Holland line stack up out in the field?

Tigerotor77W
08-29-2004, 10:18 PM
I wish I could elaborate on this for some time. But I have to get going... so...

NH backhoes are fine machines and should not have a problem holding their own against Case, Cat, Deere, Komatsu, or anyone else. However, their fenders change color and they seem to accumulate many more bumps and bruises than any other machine in the field. The plastic used seems to be cheap if not useless, but as a machine, they are fine. They have great lifting (craning) capability and also great digging performance.

If you really want a good backhoe loader, I would consider one that has a bit more refined-ness. :scratch: (whatever that means) I think Cat and Deere are better in that their booms are a bit more suited for digging. Curved booms are better for digging. However, again, there is nothing WRONG with a NH; I just think there is better.

yukonpeat
08-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info BobcatS250.

Not having alot of experience. Why would curved boom be better for digging? Would the NH straight boom be better for loading trucks?

Plus does any one know why Fiat choose the New Holland name rather keep the Fiat line going?

Tigerotor77W
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Curved boom better... I'm not sure why physically, but it models the design of larger excavators. :shrugs: Not too sure.

Cat and Deere each claim that their boom is the style to use for loading trucks. Again, why (or whether that is true) befuddles me.

Not sure about name, either.

silage feeder
10-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Have you considered a JCB market leaders here in the uk, one of the pioneers ,if not the pioneer of the backhoe loader. :waving:

Tigerotor77W
10-02-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't have any problem with them, but they don't seem to have anything other than a slight performance edge over the competition. It seems the same with Bobcat in skid steers and Deere in tractors.

earthwerks unlimited
12-25-2004, 08:37 PM
The Cats booms are curved to allow you to reach further down into a hole as the boom has less tendency to touch the near side of the hole. My backhoe has this problem. I used a Deere backhoe a few years back and it was a sorry joke. The relief valves wouldn't allow enough power to the bucket or the boom.
I just rented an older 555E 4x4 and I was was blown away with its ability not only to dig but to doze. It kept up with a Cat DH3 hydro. I then rented a Case 12,000 lb. class excavator---what a piece of crap. Again the NH backhoe had much more power and ability to dig and lift huge 7,000 lb. tree stumps up and out of a dry retention pond. The Case couldn't lift them--I had to roll them up and out of the pond.

Our local Dept of Public Works guys did a scientific comparison of the New Holland vs. Cat backhoes. The New Holland came out much above in performance. But they went with Cat as the dealer cut his prices way below New Holland so Cat got the contract.

ksss
12-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Earthwerks,

Case doesn't make a 12K excavator. You could have had a CX47 which is 10K machine or CX75 or 9007B which are 16K. The 47 will not keep up with a 580 size hoe and you shouldn't expect it to. The 75 or 9007 are more equivilant to a 580 size hoe. A 7000 pound tree stump with a hoe? I set a traffic rated grease intercepter and two traffic rated septic tanks last month (the tanks were 1,500 gallon a piece). The interceptor weighed (each half) was about 8000 pounds (weight stamped on the side of the tank). I had to rent a CAT 322BL to make the lift. The septic tanks were around 9.5K per half and I had to have them set with a truck because CAT thought the weight was too close to max. to be safe. I don't doubt it was a big stump but a 7000 pound tree stump will not be lifted out of a pond with a hoe of any color.

earthwerks unlimited
12-26-2004, 04:45 PM
My bad. I stand corrected on the Case excavator it was a 9007B.
And I should have been more specific when I said the NH lifted it out of retention pond: to clarify, it wasn't one "single" stump-- it was about 5 large to medium size trees that had grown together forming one, huge, inseparable "stump". And the soil around it was sticky, wet clay entangled around the roots. The NH was out of the pond, the "stump" at the bottom near the base of the embankment (it was dug out but had rolled trying to get it out)---the NH pulled it up the embankment enough that I could get under it and then crowded the stick, clamping the stump against the boom then it picked it up and swung it around to the side--not actual "craning" like your septic tank senario. In fact once I thought I could just drive forward with the stump crowded under the boom. No go. As soon as I raised the downriggers, up went the front end. And yes, the stump weighed over 7,000 and I know that because the 20yd dumpster could only hold 2 stumps of this size which were sticking out about 2 feet above the walls. And some smaller stumps were placed in there as well. I told the dumpster guy, a friend of mine, that I was concerned about the weight and he said in his typical "devil may care" attitude "don't worry" (he's a sort of what we call a "cowboy" in that he SAYS he doesn't care if he gets a $2000 over-weight ticket but then complains up a storm when he does get a ticket). In any event, he later said the dump's weigh-ticket pegged him at just under 22,000 lb. for the load ---NOT the truck. This makes sense because I tried picking up just a corner with the LS180 and it couldn't lift it nor push it.
And as far as the Case not being able to this similar task I tried it on some smaller "stumps" and it couldn't do it---and that was with the Case down in the pond (it dried up by then). They had to be flipped end over end to get them out.

Tigerotor77W
12-26-2004, 09:28 PM
I'll be honest with you... I think NH makes one hell of a performer when it comes to backhoe-loaders (or "loader-backhoes" as several manufacturers insist on calling them), but I really don't believe there's anything tremendous about them otherwise. Their boom arms are still straight-arm; the same is true for their backhoe. While NH will claim that the straight boom arm offers better torsional regidity and durability (least that's what they say in the literature for the now-replaced E-series), very few wheel loaders utilize a straight arm. The main exceptions are the Cat monoboom loaders (Versalink and 998G/992G) and integrated toolcarriers. The NH linkage seems outdated and I highly doubt its visibility and durability advantage. The backhoe is much the same. Only a few manufacturers haven't adopted the excavator-style boom -- JCB and CNH, the pioneers of the backhoe concept.

As for all of the validation of whether those stumps were 7,000 pounds -- ksss knows machinery well and I wouldn't doubt him about what he says. If there's one thing I would like to see, it'd be a machine tipping (not necessarily "rolling down a hill" type of tipping) or getting stuck in mud. There are a few operators I've seen who... didn't really take too much care in keeping their machine's wheels on the ground, even with an empty bucket. Ah the devil in me... in any case, whatever floats your boat. There are some powerful diggers out there -- just don't get yourself killed.