PDA

View Full Version : the "other guy"

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 07:59 PM
we have all heard his name, in fact, we replace him all the time. he is known to us all simply as , "the other guy." in the past week, i've had two customers come crawling back. they both cancelled me 2-3 yrs ago, reliability was the issue. but it seems, the "other guy", in spite of being very reliable, could not fill my shoes. one case: he was not licensed to do chemicals, and he was smart enough not to do them anyway. he WAS very reliable as far as grass cutting, did a nice job, but never had time to do extras(trimming, etc), they begged me back so thier property could be presentable once again. . 2nd case: first "other guy" charged alot of money to sod a section of the yard damaged by city snow plows, and never came back when EVERY SINGLE PIECE of sod died. 2nd "other guy": sold client a 3 step fert program, consisting of 3 apps of straight fert, on a 3.6 k prop, for $175. client called him in mid july, complaining lawn had "brown spots", his cure= a heavy dose of nitrogen in 90+ degree heat and heavy humidity. we all know the result of that, the only thing that survived was the weeds and nutsedge. so, what are YOUR prospective clients biggest complaints about "the other guy"?

Trevors Lawn Care
08-28-2004, 08:06 PM
half the time... He doesnt exist. It is a scheme simply devised to drag our prices through the mud.

Trevor

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 08:12 PM
you think trevor? so then your answer would be that "the other guy" was cheaper? are you suggesting that our perspective clients are liars? ha ha, nawww, can't be

Trevors Lawn Care
08-28-2004, 08:33 PM
9 times out of 10 the other guy wasnt able to remove his grass clippings from their mulch bed. Or wasnt able to not divot while on the ZTR

Trevor

Mark Lawncare
08-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Many times the other guy got sick the costumer's absurd requests. Watch out for SOME customers who got ride of the other guy.

Ray&Christine
08-28-2004, 10:02 PM
The "other guy" does not have time to do his lawn for the next few months because he is in jail for drunk driving.

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SSLC
Many times the other guy got sick the costumer's absurd requests. Watch out for SOME customers who got ride of the other guy. This is a good point. I have a customer that has gotten rid of the last five "other guys" - she's my biggest problem customer. I just sent her a two page letter that said, in essence, if she's so unhappy she can leave at any time. She couldn't be any nicer ever since but is still a royal PITA.

HOOLIE
08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I often find that if the "other guy" just "stopped showing up", its usually not a reliability issue. Its a PITA customer issue.

Other "other guy" reasons on the Top Ten List-

1) "Moved Away"
2) "I think he got sick or something"
3) "Went back to his full-time job"
4) "Equipment problems" (for an entire month?)
5) "He's got school starting again"

I'll let you guys fill in 6-10.

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
I've said it before - my best clients are the ones that pay the most, my worst clients are the ones that pay the least.

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 10:47 PM
dkeisala, that is SOOO UNPROFESSIONAL!. telling your customer , "she can leave at anytime...", this gives us all a bad name. a REAL businessman can satisfy even the toughest client. sean make sure the new guys don't see this, cus it's a poor way to do business. sorry, i call it like i see it

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
dkeisala, that is SOOO UNPROFESSIONAL!. telling your customer , "she can leave at anytime...", this gives us all a bad name. a REAL businessman can satisfy even the toughest client. sean make sure the new guys don't see this, cus it's a poor way to do business. sorry, i call it like i see it This coming from you...whatever...maybe if I showed up with a neck brace she'd be nicer to me? Now THAT would be professional!

bobbygedd
08-28-2004, 11:05 PM
don't change the subject, wrong is wrong, and you call yourself a businessman? ha ha ha. keep acting like that, and you'll be cleaning toilets with your lover gee vee. sorry, i call it like i see it

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Earlier this year I WAS "the other guy." A lady called & left a message asking me to stop by to give an estimate. Sounded familiar & the address rang a bell but didn't quite register. So I get there and realize she called me last year but didn't like my price.

Guess she forgot she called me because when I get there, right away she starts in how "some estimates were so high" and "the person she did have doing it for a good price was not reliable." I told her in fact I had been to her property before to bid...........told it didn't surprise me the cheap guy was unreliable.......and told my price was still the same. I got the job this year & she's paid on time like clockwork.

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
don't change the subject, wrong is wrong, and you call yourself a businessman? ha ha ha. keep acting like that, and you'll be cleaning toilets with your lover gee vee. sorry, i call it like i see it blah blah blah

Lbilawncare
08-28-2004, 11:56 PM
We lost 2 yards this year to "the other guy" and guess what, we got them both back. The "other guy" was unreliable, bothered the customer for money every time they did anything (and a few times in between, as an advance), and only trimmed about every third mowing. Reminded me of a former employee, "Hey man can I borrow like 5 bucks to buy cigarettes, I'll pay you back tomorrow man I promise."

kootoomootoo
08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Gotta ask how a landscapers once he installs healthy sod can somehow be held responsible for it dying later on?

dkeisala
08-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by kootoomootoo
Gotta ask how a landscapers once he installs healthy sod can somehow be held responsible for it dying later on? If the soil wasn't prepped properly first. I've seen installs where the sod was simply placed upon a solid soil surface. Sod is bound to fail if proper attention isn't paid to the unlaying soil.

42homers
08-29-2004, 06:42 AM
I've had to write one of those letters too. I eventually lost the account but was glad I did.........there are some people that you JUST CAN'T PLEASE BOBBY!

My life gets a little easier with each passing one.

bobbygedd
08-29-2004, 08:45 AM
see that dkiesala, how do you like it? that's what i get every single time i write something. and as far as the sod koot, are you responsible or not? i'm not sure, BUT i think it is up to YOU to at least go back to the house and look, speak with the client, and conclude what the reason for dying was. not saying you should replace it IF you did everything properly. you may find that it wasn't watered, you may find some pellets left where the client fertilized the new sod (automatically voiding any warrenty). for the record, i proudly say i have never lost even one single piece of sod. and, i've never used lime, or anything else you bozos use to prep the soil. the sod gets cut right in front of me, loaded on my truck, and brought immediately to the already prepped site, layed, and rolled, and watered.

malliso
08-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I have been studying from this forum for a couple of years now.BobbyGedd you are talking to some 1 about unprofessionalism?I have read a couple of your posts.

PROCUT1
08-29-2004, 10:24 AM
" The other guy?" I think he's related to " Mr. Somebody else"

"we got somebody else"

bobbygedd
08-29-2004, 11:33 AM
malliso, let me get this straight. YOU, think i'm unprofessional? ok, let me think about this........a lp from tenn thinks i'm unprofessional, do i give a crap, or not give a crap.....give a crap, or not give a crap......ok, i've made my decision. i don't give a crap

malliso
08-29-2004, 01:06 PM
lol no ur just a plain idiot,i saw that from your post where you were talking bout the woman upset with ur bill after you did your job.Same here I dont give a crap either,lol.I just think your funny.And saying sumthing to some1 else about what they write being unprofessional isnt sumthing you should talk about.lol,wonder sometimes if people would run that mouth like they do on here in person.lol

malliso
08-29-2004, 01:23 PM
my bad bobbygedd,just saw where you were from....your always gonna b right.sorry bout that. had a friend of my dads cum down to stay 2 years ago from hew jersey.had such a big mouth dad finally kicked him out....he moved somwhere down south in georgia........bout a year later his wife called looking for him,we figured that that mouth overloaded that butt 1 too many times.sorry bobbygedd