PDA

View Full Version : ChemLawn

theweedman
08-28-2004, 11:26 PM
anybody ever work for trugreen-chemlawn or know anything about them? are they a good company to work for?

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by theweedman
anybody ever work for trugreen-chemlawn or know anything about them? are they a good company to work for? OK - did this guy just crawl out from under a rock?

theweedman
08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
sorry, i just want to hear from some people who have worked there.

Originally posted by dkeisala
OK - did this guy just crawl out from under a rock?

dkeisala
08-28-2004, 11:53 PM
No - it's OK. It's just that ChemLawn is the evil empire around here. Don't be looking for many people to be saying many good things about them.

kootoomootoo
08-29-2004, 12:05 AM
do a little search on google. Theres a website devoted to ex pissed off trugreen workers. Some great stories.

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Did you buy a weedman franchise? They are the biggest in Canada and I know they are making a push south.

theweedman
08-29-2004, 09:58 AM
no, i haven't bought a weedman franchise. i have heard of them in my area.. doesn't appear to be doing to great here tho. but mabee over time, who knows. most companies go in biz here, and sell to chemlawn or scotts after a year or 2. this seems to always be the case.

Originally posted by trying 2b organic
Did you buy a weedman franchise? They are the biggest in Canada and I know they are making a push south.

sniggly
08-29-2004, 11:00 AM
I mostly lurk here........but I am going to put my 2 cents in here.

In my opinion there are two major problems with TruGreen/Chemlawn. Others may find other faults but on a scale I think these are the most glaring.

1.) Poor training of the field tech's and poor supervision. I have personally spoken with 3 field tech's in the last two months, only to find they really didn't know weed ID as well as they should. Proper identification of the weed is crucial to identifying the proper control. The latest example being the treatment of dollar weed in a new installation of Pensacola Bahia WITH MANOR (Metsulfuron Methyl Methyl 2) Sure........he killed the dollar weed........but he also managed to kill 35% of the lawn. Who mixed the tank? Did the tech know Manor was mixed in the tank? Did the tech care? Sure.....he was able to identify dollar weed but who can't?

2.) Programs they offer are really not tailored to the individual needs of each lawn they service. To them broadleaf weed control and fertilization means the same thing for every lawn. Some lawns require different fert programs than others. Some lawns require different conrols for the different types of weeds present and NOT a universal tank mix.

I have just taken a client that has a Floratam yard eat up with Chamberbitter and Matchweed (Lippia).......but you won't see me out there doing clopyralid or metsulfuron apps because they aren't labeled as controls. A soil profile has to be done and a good scrub of the customer's irrigation habits are first in line.

Sure....my programs cost more......but I visit the property more often and I tailor my programs for each lawn.

I am sure that there exists intelligent field tech's for TruGreen........and this is not meant to offend those that have taken the time to learn and know. I do, however, have to call it like I see it.

Green Dreams
08-29-2004, 11:20 AM
The only reason anyone should work for them is if you have no experience and want to get into this industry. You can do ok as a sales scrub there if you have no conscience...

TSM
08-29-2004, 02:27 PM
funny how i always feel the need to get into a skimpy skirt and get my cheerleaders pom poms out whenever chemlawn is discussed. (and this is NOT a pretty sight to behold :) )

I worked for chemlawn in the 80's. When they were chemlawn....not trugreen. when they were truely the best and they were the best because of the intense training a tech had to go thru (i definately learned more in one winter with chemlawn than i did in 3 years in college...ok, i was being paid to learn from chemlawn and i went to college for the party and girls...but you get what i mean, right?)
Anyway, without chemlawn most of us would not be in this industry. they were truely the pioneers. they had the top folks in their field on the payroll, from toxicologists to agronomics. being employed with chemlawn was almost like being in the military. a regiment of strict rules to follow and only those with self discipline would succeed.

but thats all ancient history. trugreen has always had a horrible reputation within this industry. But when 'chemlawn' is discussed it brings me back to the days when they were #1 in sales, in service, in customer retention, in training, they had the largest fleet of trucks in the nation (well second to the post office). And the last I checked, trugreen/chemlawn still brings in the largest revenue than anyother green industry company.

Sorry for the possitive words........now back to chemlawn bashing....:D

sniggly
08-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Well they are still number one in sales.........I get most of the green industry periodicals and I seem to remember that they were number one on the list of gross revenues generated for the last year. I don't remember how many millions of dollars it was...or which periodical it was......but I do remember that it was significantly more than the number 2 slot.

Ric
08-29-2004, 04:18 PM
TG/CL Upper management and Equipment is first class. However once you get down to the working man's level you are just a warm body. Tank mixing is done at the office shop in large bulk tanks and then pumped on board the trucks that are made first class idiot proof. Spray tech are not tech they are hose dragger's with a quota to do each day. Employee turnover is large and the way I sell against them is by pointing this out. Tom, Dick and Harry are your spray tech this month and they will be selling shoe next month.

I had a classmate from college apply for a job with them. They promised the world on the first interview and then offered him the worlds dirt on the next interview. No I have never worked for them and by the grace of god never will.

sniggly
08-29-2004, 04:28 PM
God wouldn't do that to you Ric......(working for them). He's busy figuring out how your gonna get your nursery back up and running.

Chris

Ric
08-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by sniggly
God wouldn't do that to you Ric......(working for them). He's busy figuring out how your gonna get your nursery back up and running.

Chris

Chris

No you are right. He will send me Cheryl's help instead. :D

sniggly
08-29-2004, 06:12 PM
HAAAAAA.................(Knee Slap)

I wasn't expecting that! BTW I haven't seen her posting here lately. I miss it.

Ric
08-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Chris

Retired Pole Dancer turned Spray Tech, that was Cheryl. She was E-mailing me a while. We were supposed to meet at the TIPE in Ft Lauderdale. But she never made it. No I haven't heard from her in close to a year. When I saw your post that was all I could think of. Thank God I haven't lost my sense of humor because of CHARLEY. Glad She gave you one more laugh, we sure had fun with her.

sniggly
08-29-2004, 08:33 PM
We sure did........

Listen.........keep yer chin up........and I am sure I'll see you on the board here at some point........maybe we can find someone else to gang up on.....(evil grin).

jwilson32
08-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I subbed out a lot of work to chemlawn and wasnt satisfied at all. Theres been many cases in which they've "Ghosted" some of my yards....I found out that is common in there company since the workers have a quoata. Its when they dont spray it but charge for it. I have a lot of yards, but i still could tell and the managers said they hadnt seen them. Needless to say i got rid of them and added spraying to my services. Im glad i did cause the money is great.....:blob4:

theweedman
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
i work for trugreen now. i have since the mid 90's. i'm trying to get out of it. mabee i'll get fired next time i miss my number, or mabee i'll get lucky and get hit by a bus tommorow. :) does anybody know if McDonalds is hiring?

Originally posted by TSM
funny how i always feel the need to get into a skimpy skirt and get my cheerleaders pom poms out whenever chemlawn is discussed. (and this is NOT a pretty sight to behold :) )

I worked for chemlawn in the 80's. When they were chemlawn....not trugreen. when they were truely the best and they were the best because of the intense training a tech had to go thru (i definately learned more in one winter with chemlawn than i did in 3 years in college...ok, i was being paid to learn from chemlawn and i went to college for the party and girls...but you get what i mean, right?)
Anyway, without chemlawn most of us would not be in this industry. they were truely the pioneers. they had the top folks in their field on the payroll, from toxicologists to agronomics. being employed with chemlawn was almost like being in the military. a regiment of strict rules to follow and only those with self discipline would succeed.

but thats all ancient history. trugreen has always had a horrible reputation within this industry. But when 'chemlawn' is discussed it brings me back to the days when they were #1 in sales, in service, in customer retention, in training, they had the largest fleet of trucks in the nation (well second to the post office). And the last I checked, trugreen/chemlawn still brings in the largest revenue than anyother green industry company.

Sorry for the possitive words........now back to chemlawn bashing....:D

Ric
08-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by theweedman
i work for trugreen now. i have since the mid 90's. i'm trying to get out of it. mabee i'll get fired next time i miss my number, or mabee i'll get lucky and get hit by a bus tommorow. :) does anybody know if McDonalds is hiring?

Weedman

Isn't Atlanta their home office in the South East??? I once went to a seminar where a short good looking Italian lady spoken and was very good. She was from TG/CL and knew her stuff.

theweedman
08-29-2004, 10:00 PM
i'm not to sure about the home office.
but, yeah.. they have alot of people there who know their stuff. those people just don't happen to drive the trucks.:)

Originally posted by Ric
Weedman

Isn't Atlanta their home office in the South East??? I once went to a seminar where a short good looking Italian lady spoken and was very good. She was from TG/CL and knew her stuff.

sniggly
08-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Nuff said..........they knowledge doesn't flow from the top down.

Sad.