PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IRS

Supertiger
08-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Is there anyone out there that uses the IRS suspended Farris mowers? Ive been moweing 6 years now and have only used Hustler and eXmark lazer mowers, my back is starting to give out on me, and everytime i hit a pot hole a 10mph im reminded of the Farris advertizments, but i cant find anyone who acually own one. one Skag dealer in my area was propositioned to become a Farris dealer and he said that he didnt like them at all and would not sell them. He sounded kinda sold out to Skag for me to beleive everything bad about the IRS suspention was compleatly true so now im asking for your opinions on the IRS Ferris.
My partner who went on vacation to Disney Word in Florida this spring said he saw the Farris mowers at work there and the lawn looked great.

rodfather
08-29-2004, 07:09 AM
My assumption is that you are referring to the Ferris IS (independent suspension) ZTR available on the 1000, 3000, 4000 (discontinued now I believe), and 5000 models.

Yes, the IS system does make the ride much nicer and allows the machine to hold slopes a little better than you might think.

seb442
08-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Bought Ferris IS 3000 with 27hp Kohler back in May. Smoothest ride I could find and cuts up to par with everything else I know. Only problem during this season is the left bolt in the guard over the muffler has come loose twice and fell on once. Put a lock washer on it and no problem since. If I had the money I would buy 3 or 4 more IS 3000.

Supertiger
08-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info, I cant believe I misspelled the name of the mower. I was always wondering if the suspension ever allowed the deck to bounce up and down enough to scoup the lawn,, i know all mowers can do it but with the whole mower moving it seems like the Ferris would do it more often.

LwnmwrMan22
08-29-2004, 09:53 AM
I've run (2) IS4000. The deck doesn't scalp any more than any other mower. The only problem I had was after 1000 hours, trying to keep the suspension balanced out.

Seemed like the deck / mower kept wanting to lean to the left 1/3".

Tider6972
08-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I demoed a 1000IS on a rough property and was kinda impressed: I was able to mow faster on the Ferris than on any other mower!

My Questions ? ? There are MANY moving/wearing parts in the suspension system; what is the general life-span of these parts ? Moreover, how EXPENSIVE are they? What are the fastest wearing items (the tie rods)?

These are broad, general questions, I know.

all ferris
08-29-2004, 09:09 PM
I run all ferris mowers and love them. The suspension is great and the cut quality is just fine. However, I'm still looking for the mower that "does it all".

zpoore
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
this may sound like a dumb question but is it free to demo a mower? i know i would need a parent to do the paper work and stuff though but i've never demoed on a mower and i was going to try to demo the ferris 1000 because i was looking into getting a new mower (with some help from my parents) but was going to get that but just wanted to demo it first