PDA

View Full Version : Considering a move to...

Yard Perfect
08-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Have a successfull lawn care business in the Northwest. My wife is being offered a very lucrative job in either Arizona or New Mexico, I will be happy to move and will want to start a lawn care business in one of these states. I don't like snakes or spiders, will I be able to function or will the creepy crawly things keep me out of the business in these states?

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2004, 02:15 AM
You mean there is grass in Arizona & New Mexico? :p

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 02:54 AM
Its the heat I couldnt do. Still, I would probably follow the wife and embrace change. Its what brought me from Ontario to this Zone 8 Island Paradise. (edit. im on Vancouver Island of west coast Canada)

42homers
08-29-2004, 07:52 AM
I'd be gone in a second if my wife was offered a job.

Don't know if I'd start another biz or not.........might lounge by the pool.

snippy
08-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Yeah I tried that for a while 42homers but before long the guilt set in so I went out and started a gardening biz to try and justify my existence :(

1MajorTom
08-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Not much help here, but I did live in New Mexico a long time ago.
Near Las Cruces. As for the heat, it's a different kind, I don't really remember humidity down there, it's more a dry heat, and I never was bothered by it. I lived there a couple of years never once saw a snake or large spiders, maybe I was lucky.
As for the grass, I lived on a military base, everything was green, everyone was required to water the grass and take care of their property.

Rex Mann
08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
I live in Phoenix. To become a licensed contractor in the state will set you back about $3,000.00. Plenty of new houses going up like crazy. However, just like any market, there are "lowballers", who are always unlicensed.

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.com (http://arizonapavers.com)

dkeisala
08-29-2004, 02:44 PM
It's not Arizona but I've been to Palm Springs a couple of times. Beautiful in the winter, desert hell in the summer but everything is beautiful througout the year and lots of landscaping and maintenance going on year round. Non-stop shrub growth, seasonal color changes, over-seeding of cool season turf grasses in the winter. Lot's of work if you can handle the heat.