PDA

View Full Version : Who Mows the White House?

HOOLIE
08-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Do they contract this, or is there a staff that does it? Anybody know? I'm not far from there. A little outta my way, but it could look good as a reference- "Oh yeah, I have a couple other commercials, such-and-such HOA, and THE WHITE HOUSE"

I know the Pentagon uses a local LCO. I've heard there's miles and miles of edging.

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2004, 01:47 AM
I've wondered that quite a few times since 'ol G Dubya took office.
There has been more White House lawn footage broadcast of him than any other president I can recall... So i must confess I've caught myself locked on, hoping for a better look, and wondering who takes care of it...

Frosty_03
08-29-2004, 01:53 AM
I believe they have people assign in the military that do that.:cool: Really like the cooks of the Navy get assigned to the White House and Camp David:cool:

Richard Martin
08-29-2004, 03:34 AM
Most likely the White House grounds are maintained by National Park Service employees with Dale Haney being the chief horticulturist.

Bull
08-29-2004, 04:36 AM
I heard as a teenager that Clinton applied for the job only to turn it down once he realized he would have to inhale at some point while cutting the "grass".

craigs lawncare
08-29-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Bull
I heard as a teenager that Clinton applied for the job only to turn it down once he realized he would have to inhale at some point while cutting the "grass".

LMAO... :D

Is that what happened to him??

Craig

SWD
08-29-2004, 07:10 AM
No, the military doesn't maintain the white house - Richard is correct, it is the park service.

mowerman90
08-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Several years ago, while are kids were still young, we took a vacation to DC. While there, we took the White House tour. You enter through the back and exit through the front onto the lawn. The wife got really ticked at me because there I was, on my hands and knees, looking at all the weeds in the lawn. I couldn't believe it! I figured they must'a had TG doing the weed control!

moneyman
08-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Here is a story of similar interest.

Illegal alien works
at White House
Report: Mexican citizen dupes INS, Secret Service with fake ID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 3, 2003
1:10 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

While the Secret Service has instituted stringent screening procedures for all tourists who visit the White House, including children, federal agents failed to detect an illegal alien who used a fake ID and documents to gain employment as a supervisor of tent installation for White House social events, reports columnist Michelle Malkin in today's New York Post.

Posing as "Kelvin Rodriguez," a Mexican citizen named Salvador Martinez-Gonzalez worked for HDO Productions Inc., a company that designs elaborate outdoor settings for galas, weddings and government functions.

Martinez-Gonzalez had been ordered kicked out of the country by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in February 2000, but was able to evade the law and fool both his employer and the Secret Service through petty identity fraud.

According to the Post, Martinez-Gonzalez had access to the White House grounds, the Pentagon and NASA, and rubbed elbows with Washington's most powerful officials – from former President Bill Clinton to current Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife, Lynne. Martinez-Gonzalez kept festive photos of himself with Clinton and the Cheneys as souvenirs to show off his insider access.

He was finally caught at the U.S.-Mexico border on Dec. 2 trying to use the photos to prove his citizenship to inspectors at the Laredo, Texas, port of entry.

A routine fingerprint and immigration database check showed that he had been apprehended in Brownsville, Texas, two years ago, and at that time was ordered to leave the country.

He should have been immediately detained for fraudulent entry and kicked out. Instead, immigration officials learned, Martinez-Gonzalez was freed.

According to the intelligence report, Martinez-Gonzalez then purchased a birth certificate from the real Kelvin Rodriguez, a Puerto Rican national who lent his identity to Martinez-Gonzalez. Rodriguez also helped Martinez-Gonzalez obtain a Social Security card, Maryland driver's license and a U.S. passport.

According to the report, Martinez-Gonzalez moved to the Maryland suburbs and began to work for HDO Productions, where he worked until sometime in the fall.

Company President Jerry O'Connell told Malkin he was not aware of any immigration problems and that Martinez-Gonzalez's departure had nothing to do with immigration-related fraud.

O'Connell told Fox News he was shocked to learn that his former employee may have been using fake documents.

The intelligence report indicates the FBI and Secret Service were both contacted by immigration investigators for further interviewing of this illegal-alien impostor.

Fox News reports that according to the U.S. attorney's office in Houston, Martinez-Gonzalez has been in custody in Laredo, Texas since Dec. 17.

Tony Clifton
08-29-2004, 08:33 AM
I know Davey does the Pentagon and Arlington but I am not sure about the White House, maybe Park Service like someone else said.

KenH
08-29-2004, 08:37 AM
I think Laura does it.

GrassBustersLawn
08-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Since ExMark had a recall/retro fit on the muffler a couple of years ago, my Lazer BACKFIRES every freakin' time I shut it off. Scares the CRAP out of old ladies, kids & animals within 2 blocks. GLAD I DON'T DO THE WHITE HOUSE, as the SECRET SERVICEwould probably open fire on me for shutting my mower off!

(On mall I do has a parking garage. When I shut it off in there it sounds like a BOMB going off with all the echoes. I've actually have the MALL POLICE come check it out before. Ooooh, the scary MALL POLICE, better not "F" with them!)

Mike

zpoore
08-29-2004, 12:31 PM
sorry a little of topic but grassbusterslawn, have you tried to let it cool down before shutting off?

rdran5
08-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I will settle this tomorrow, I have a colleague who was stationed there for the last 4 years, let yall know tomorrow.

Fantasy Lawns
08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Presidents's Park or what everyone calls "The White House" is under the maintence of the US Department of Interior ..... Which is the National Park Service .... the 2004 budget for maintanence is $4.8 Million

zpoore
08-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm 15 working solo and have a 50" cub cadet ZTR and a 20" push mower and an echo 210 trimmer as well as a weedeater handheld blower and I was looking at placing a bid at Arlington Natl. Cemetery does anybody know what i should charge them for it? I was thinking maybe about $5,000 a cut anybody think otherwise?

all ferris
08-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by zpoore
I'm 15 working solo and have a 50" cub cadet ZTR and a 20" push mower and an echo 210 trimmer as well as a weedeater handheld blower and I was looking at placing a bid at Arlington Natl. Cemetery does anybody know what i should charge them for it? I was thinking maybe about $5,000 a cut anybody think otherwise?

Thats funny. But it's no joke that anyone can bid on government property. I got a call from a guy this spring that wanted me to subcontract the federal court house in st. louis for him. He was from Oklahoma and said that 80% of his business is government stuff all over the country. He just subs it out and tries to get 20% of the bid. He said that the government doesn't always go with the lowest bid either. He mentioned that if they have past experience with a company they take that into consideration even if their bid is higher than others. Hmmmm........

Itsgottobegreen
08-29-2004, 10:23 PM
The US park service maintains the white house. They have a ten man crew. All must have college degrees in landscaping, horiculture, etc.

They used two locke mowers. Several Jacabsens and toro reel mowers.

They used locke mowers for years until locke stopped building their triplex reel mowers.

OnHandLawnCare
08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
for $4.8 Million I wanna see some stripes...

:)

HOOLIE
08-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by zpoore

Are you gonna commute from Ohio to DC every week? That's not keeping your route tight...LOL

CJ GreenScapes
08-30-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm gonna call and tell them I can do it for $35 a cut.

Fantasy Lawns
08-30-2004, 12:56 AM
$4.8 is for "Property Maintanence"

That's not just cutting grass .... that's the whole ball .... ya know beyond just grass n trees ..... that's hardscape, lightscape, ALL that has to do with outside N inside, paint, roof, plumbing, electric, glass, fence, etc

Remember MOST govt jobs of this type have NO PROFIT ..... that's just the 'Cost" of doing business .... it looks good 24/7