PDA

View Full Version : Hanging deck, no anti-scalping????

RLMOWING
08-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Hello every body,
My name is Robert, and this is my first post. I've been reading this site for several weeks, but have been finding the answers to most the questions I have, so havent posted before.
I've been thinking about getting into the business this spring, and been looking at alot of mowers.

My question is, what good is a hanging deck if it does not have anti-scalping wheels, or only 1 on one corner and a nose roller?
The only way for it to "float" on the other 3 corners is if it contacts the ground, it seems to me.

The machine inparticular is the Ferris Hydrowalk DD.
I'm very impressed with the local Ferris dealer, and would rather buy from him than others I have talked to, but can't get past the lack of ASW on this product.

Please help
Thanks
Robert

P.S. Great site.

Oldtimer
08-29-2004, 12:29 PM
If a mower is scalping it is set too low or the lawn is not flat. If you look around you will see just about the same combination of anti-scalping rollers on all brands of commercial walk behind mowers.

I'm sure that the experienced LCOs on this site can explain in detail how not to scalp when they encounter adverse mowing conditions.

There are thousands of 32" - 52" fixed deck mowers sold each year and these units don't have anti-scalping wheels.

Oldtimer

RLMOWING
08-29-2004, 01:06 PM
There are thousands of 32" - 52" fixed deck mowers sold each year and these units don't have anti-scalping wheels

Exactly! so why pay more for a hanging deck, if you still have to adjust your cutting to accommodates bumps and dips?

Toro , Exmark and John deere have full ASW's avalible on there hanging decks.

Green Care
08-29-2004, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't pay anything if I'm not happy with it take the ride and get what works for ya.

There are manny good mowers out there try them and see.

What works best.