PDA

View Full Version : stihl mufflers

grass_cuttin_fool
08-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Well I was finishing up the weeks work this am and my helper was using my stihl fs55. I noticed it wasnt running like it should . When I got home I decided to check the muffler. I removed the housing around the engine and took the muffler off . I fired the engine up and she ran like a new one. Well I figured out the muffler was stopped up with oil. I got to looking and there is a nut on the muffler that holds the exhaust pipe in . Well you quessed it, I took the trimmer apart to get that screen out of the muffler when all I had to do was use a socket to remove the exhaust pipe and not remove any of the trimmer housing :o . Oh well It was a learning experience lol. Im not sure how any of the other stihl trimmers are made but check and see if you can get the pipe out of the muffler before taking the trimmer apart, he he
later yall

Lbilawncare
08-29-2004, 12:20 PM
The 85's have a 1 piece muffler, once a year I take it off and remove the carbon buildup on the exhaust port. The first thing we do when we buy a new trimmer or blower is remove that screen and toss it.

dkeisala
08-29-2004, 01:03 PM
My FS85 was running crappy, seemed like it was missing a lot. Took a closer look and noticed the muffler was loose thus screwing up the compression. Tightened the bolts and fixed the problem - quick and simple

odin
08-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Since we started useing amsoil years ago ..those little screen 's in the muffler dont never plug up no more.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-29-2004, 03:20 PM
about all I have used is the stihl, robin and the ''no smoke'' brands of oil. I like the stihl oil alot but I get the most smoke from it. Very little from robin and none from no smoke.