PDA

View Full Version : How do you get lasting year around customers.

big tim afm
08-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how they keep the customer happy and the customer is a year after year customer. I'm saying beside's doing great work for them do the l.c.o's go the extra mile for their lawn clients to retain them for the next season..

stevesmowing
08-29-2004, 04:17 PM
send them holiday cards. Sometimes they even send you a check in return

1MajorTom
08-29-2004, 04:30 PM
I think dependability is a big factor. Customers don't want to have to beg their lawncare provider to get off his butt to come cut their grass. With us, we won't kiss anyone's butt, but we will be dependable, consistent, and fair. Then we let the chips fall as they may, and more often than not, we are successful in retaining our clients.

Roger
08-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm a small operator, only about 42 customers. However, I rarely have somebody cancel for the next season. I never have to make revisions in plans after sending offer letters in early Spring. And, I never have anybody cancel during a season.

I think the key is dependability. We do our best to do good work, better than many others in the business. However, I've concluded it doesn't matter much the quality of the result (that makes me sad and angry), but just whether I show up each time as promised. So many of my customers canceled somebody else with the same story, "... we just didn't know when he was going to come."

I never send holiday cards, but do acknowledge with a note when a bonus is included with their last season's payment. More than half of my customers always give a bonus, so I can only conclude they are satisfied with the work.

LwnmwrMan22
08-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Personally, I do what I'm contracted to do at the beginning of the season.

I'm a solo op, and my clients know that I'll be at their yard each week myself, not some crew.

I do it all at a "reasonable rate", not trying to become rich on 10 yards a week, but make a decent profit on what I can do in a week.

My biggest problem I have this year is I took on more that I can do, so I'll have to see what the fallout is next year.

I was working 90-100 hours / week this spring, but now I'm down to about 60-65. I just can't seem to roll out of bed anymore.

I've never looked forward to snow as much as I am this year. :)