PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler question

Greenservice
08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
We just bought a house with a fairly simple sprinkler system. There is only one zone and no timer. You turn the system on and off with a valve off the main water line in the basement. On the outside of the house, a PVC pipe comes out through the wall and is connected to a plastic hose that goes into the ground and out to the sprinkler heads. The hose is connected to the pipe with a hose clamp. My question is: When I'm ready to shut down the system for the winter. could I just disconnect the hose from the PVC pipe and leave it open? Would the open hose allow the water to expand and keep the ice in the lines from cracking the pipes in the ground? I'm not trying to be cheap - I'm just wondering if it's necessary to have someone come in just to blow the water out of the lines. Thanks.

Grassmechanic
08-30-2004, 07:25 AM
No, simply disconnecting the line will not keep it from freezing. But, on a simple type of water system as you have, it would be very easy to blow it out with just a small homeowner-style air compressor.

Greenservice
08-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Sounds good to me - thanks. I have a 5 hp compressor in my shop. I guess I just need to find an air chock that will fit snugly over the end of the hose. How do sprinkler companies blow out the lines, with a compressor on the truck?

aquamtic
08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
very long hoses and multiple fitting adapters on hand to fit all situations

aquamtic
08-31-2004, 09:10 AM
You need a compressor strong enough to keep the heads up for about 30 seconds at a time. Unless you have a small system with short pipe runs, a 5hp is not going to cut it.

Grassmechanic
08-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Greenservice
Sounds good to me - thanks. I have a 5 hp compressor in my shop. I guess I just need to find an air chock that will fit snugly over the end of the hose. How do sprinkler companies blow out the lines, with a compressor on the truck? That should work just fine. You'll only need some fittings to make it work.