PDA

View Full Version : Are Toro decks the same as Exmark????

aussiegreg
08-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I just looked at a Toro brochure and saw a picture of their Ultra cut deck with Micro Mulch System. I then looked at the Exmark website and they are showing exactly the same picture and calling it "eXmark's exclusive Micro-Mulch system ".
Are they owned and made by the same people ???
Even the foldable ROPS look the same.!!!
Does the Toro Micro Mulch System work well??
Can it be fitted to a Toro Torbo Force Deck???

Runner
08-30-2004, 01:50 AM
Then mowers are made the same,.. the decks are different. Exmark was doing so well, that Toro purchased Exmark. They still market Exmark mowers AS Exmark mowers, though. They (Toro) kept their own deck design, and kept the Exmark deck design to the Exmarks. Toro has made a few changes in their decks, but the Exmark decks have pretty much stayed the same. They made the decks a little deeper when they switched from the Tri-vantage decks to the Ultracut. I've never heard of a Toro with an Ultracut deck on it. They had the SFS deck, and have converted it to the Turboforce deck over the last year.
I wonder, if down there where you are at, if the Toro's have the Exmark Ultracut decks on them....

aussiegreg
08-30-2004, 02:00 AM
It definitely says Ultra cut deck fitted with micro mulch. It says it use excalibur blades

celawncare1
08-30-2004, 06:09 AM
the dealer here in georgia said that production of toro was switched to exmark and exmark to toro...all i know is i've had bolts dropping off my exmark left and right, espically on anti-scalping deck wheels, JUST LIKE A TORO!!

CBB
08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
If I am reading correctly you are comparing the 2 in Austrailia. Toro is marketed a little differently outside the US. From what I understand the Exmark line is exclusively for the continental US and Canada only.

Tonyr
08-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Greg,

The brochure ya lookin' at is of a diesel XP, the feul tanks are white? This is an Exmark diesel (marketed as a Toro), it was bought over to help develop a market for diesels as Toro just released their own here.
Same engine etc, but with Turbo Force deck.

If it has a SFS or Turbo Force deck it is Toro only.

Tri Vantage, Ultra Cut, Exmark only.

They don't mix and match.

Exmark do not distribute here, pity.

Though in that brochure it says the diesel Exmark is Toro, it ain't, it is Exmark 100% Toro don't make white feul tanks.

The Exmark decks and Toro decks are not the same or similar, copied etc, totally different designs from 2 seperate companies, Toro bought out Exmark, but they run as 2 different companies, apparently.

That Exmark XP, you can get them cheap now, same price as a petrol....but if you are mowing thin couch/bermuda like here these are not the ideal choice....a diesel would shine on big jobs more imo. Not the ideal small areas finish mower, something a school or council would use more than a general contractor.

dvmcmrhp52
08-30-2004, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Runner
[B]Then mowers are made the same,.. the decks are different.

For the record, there are very few interchangeable parts between an Exmark and a Toro.
They may have some similarities in looks,but that's about where it ends.
Just to make Tony happy (LOL!) I will admit that Toro is making some decent machines now, Toro however is NOT going to compromise Exmark sales by trying to morph the two entities at this time. I expect that somwhere down the road they will it just isn't going to be in the near future because of strong sales from Exmark. Not to mention Exmark has just added more testing and production floorspace.

Tonyr
08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks Dave...

It is believed by many here that the new Toros are Exmarks with a Toro deck....not correct.

Some have said the new Turbo Force Deck is Exmarks, but marketed as Toro....not correct.

The decks aren't even almost similar, check specs on both sites for steel thicknesses etc, not the same.

The new Toro chassis many say is Exmarks....not correct.

Yes, observing the brands side by side there is a lot of similarities, but only similarities....different frames all together.

Doesn't matter how ya look at it, Toro with turbo force deck and Exmark are both top notch. Of course, the Toro Z588E is the top dog hey Dave LOL!

celawncare1
08-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey Tonyr,
"the dealer here in georgia said that production of toro was switched to exmark and exmark to toro...all i know is i've had bolts dropping off my exmark left and right, espically on anti-scalping deck wheels, JUST LIKE A TORO!!"

Any comments on my statement or what the dealer said???

Runner
08-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Tonyr
Thanks Dave...

It is believed by many here that the new Toros are Exmarks with a Toro deck....not correct.

The new Toro chassis many say is Exmarks....not correct.

Yes, observing the brands side by side there is a lot of similarities, but only similarities....different frames all together.

Doesn't matter how ya look at it, Toro with turbo force deck and Exmark are both top notch. Of course, the Toro Z588E is the top dog hey Dave LOL!

See, this is where I am set straight. I thought they were very much the same machine, the only differences being, that the decks, and anything to do with the decks, (pulleys, armatures, deck mounts, etc.) were different. I've never examined one of these Toros up close enough to determine just how different they are. I AM told that alot of the parts are interchangeable. I guess I'll have to have a good look-over to see.

Celawncare, this may be one of those instances, - and we've all heard of them and/or experienced them, that the dealed MAY not not know fully what he's talking about. Not to say he's fully wrong, but this hapens at times. We've read about it several times on here.

Tonyr
08-31-2004, 06:32 PM
I got my facts from talking to reps who work for Exmark and Toro, many times dealers wouldn't know shi.t from clay, rather than find facts they just go on b.s....the dealer is very wrong.

Runner, yeah mate, there is a lot of confusion about the 2, I got my facts from the Exmark rep here on lawnsite, and my state's sales manager in Australia, not a misinformed dealer.

I don't come here to promote toro for toro, only because the new toro's are very good, i don't work for toro in any way, pity.
I'm just trying to mention facts as i understand them because I believe in giving credit where it is due, and a lot of people hate to think toro has come up with such a great model line. I don't know which is the better brand or mower model between exmark and toro, imo they are about the best on the market from what i gather....

But it is a clear fact, toro and exmark are 2 seperate companies, toro bought exmark, that's all. the toro's are not exmark or made by exmark or vise versa. I would expect some parts are interchangable due to similarities, probably interchangable parts between many brands....a lot do run the same hydros etc, i have no doubt there are interchangable parts, i'd be silly to say otherwise.

toro should pay me for doing this....lousy buggers! lol.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 07:00 PM
You should be compensated by Toro, Tony!! Because of you bragging on how wonderful the TURBO FORCE deck is, I demoed' three different Toro's at my own home last week.. I gotta say, you ain't joking, they are excellent pieces of equipment!! beautiful cut on nice lawns, and will blow through the "nasty" stuff with ease at almost full speed all the while leaving a really good cut!! Thanks Tony, Toro deserves' the praise. And the Toro dude that brought them really knew what was what, a welcome change from your average OPE sales folks.. I look forward to dealing with them in the future.

dvmcmrhp52
08-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by celawncare1
Hey Tonyr,
"the dealer here in georgia said that production of toro was switched to exmark and exmark to toro...all i know is i've had bolts dropping off my exmark left and right, espically on anti-scalping deck wheels, JUST LIKE A TORO!!"

Any comments on my statement or what the dealer said???

The dealer is incorrect.

dvmcmrhp52
08-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Runner
See, this is where I am set straight. I thought they were very much the same machine, the only differences being, that the decks, and anything to do with the decks, (pulleys, armatures, deck mounts, etc.) were different. I've never examined one of these Toros up close enough to determine just how different they are. I AM told that alot of the parts are interchangeable. I guess I'll have to have a good look-over to see.

Celawncare, this may be one of those instances, - and we've all heard of them and/or experienced them, that the dealed MAY not not know fully what he's talking about. Not to say he's fully wrong, but this hapens at times. We've read about it several times on here.

Runner,
Actually terry from exmark has listed the few components that are interchangeable in a thread in the exmark forum..........
Don't have a clue as to the name of the thread anymore..................
It is a common misconception at times that when a manufacturer is bought out that they automatically become a morph of the company that bought them. At times that does occur, other times such as with exmark they are very much seperate companies for good reason. If Exmark sales and popularity were to wane I am sure the company would then be absorbed by Toro, until then they will not risk losing sales from an otherwise strong company.

dvmcmrhp52
08-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Tonyr

Doesn't matter how ya look at it, Toro with turbo force deck and Exmark are both top notch. Of course, the Toro Z588E is the top dog hey Dave LOL! [/B]

Now your pushing it a bit too far, Tony................LOL!:D

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Dave, I agree, just because a company bought out another, doesn't mean that the machines are interchangeable.. Another example is when John Deere bought out Great Dane.. The Surfer and the Quick Trak may look the same, but there ain't much that interchanges..And the two companies ZTR's couldn't be more different...

dvmcmrhp52
08-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Dave, I agree, just because a company bought out another, doesn't mean that the machines are interchangeable.. Another example is when John Deere bought out Great Dane.. The Surfer and the Quick Trak may look the same, but there ain't much that interchanges..And the two companies ZTR's couldn't be more different...

Yup, it's about consolidation and economies of scale.
Just like banks.........................