PDA

View Full Version : TO ALL HUSTLER's WITH BURNING GRASS PROBLEMS!!!

wolfman
08-30-2004, 01:58 AM
I just bought a HUSTLER SUPER-MINI Z WITH A 24 HONDA a week ago and had 2 problems before EVEN leaving the dealer. The THIRD PROBLEM - I WAS SUPRISED TO SEE MY GRASS BURNT!!!

I figured that would be the last thing to worry about when buying a mower!! - I guess I was wrong. Hustler has offered to fix the problems including trying a shield that is supposed to fix THE GRASS BURNING

I was suprised to find several replies the other night after I did a search on this issue - Seems to be mostly HONDA motors, a few KOHLER, and 0 Kawasaki motors?

(mine is burning the grass - even when I get up for just a moment to move something out the way)

1.)I would like to know how many of you have the Honda one that is burning the grass?

2.)THOSE THAT HAVE a Super-Mini Z w/24 HP HONDA - DID THE SHIELD WORK?

3.) DOES the shield go under the bottom of the muffler and/or the exhaust pipe leading up to muffler?

When i placed my hand under the muffler area of mine I found out that there is EXTREMELY HOT AIR blowing through the slots cut out of the engine platform or deck and over the exhaust pipe.

4.) SEEMS LIKE THERE WOULD BE AN EXHAUST PIPE WRAP (Like auto- header wraps that keeps the engine compartment from getting too hot!!!) FOR thes ZTRs AS WELL?

I ASKED HUSTLER WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT SHIELD ON ALL READY - AND THEY TOLD ME THERE HAS ONLY BEEN ABOUT 15 WITH THIS PROBLEM.

5.) CAN ANYBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY NOT EVERY HUSTLER with a Honda IS NOT HAVING THIS PROBLEM but only 15 are???

6.)Could my engine be running THAT MUCH HOTTER? There does not seem to be any kind of an exhaust leak.

ANY answers ASAP will be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS,
WOLFMAN

Mindless
08-30-2004, 07:55 AM
20/52 F/T w/Honda engine...yes, exhaust creating 12" circular size burn patterns in my lawn. I make a point of not stopping F/T on turf to empty catcher. Ordered from Hustler heat shield last week.

Cheers!

John Gamba
08-30-2004, 08:14 AM
It could be the type of grass too.????????
John

Patrick.B
08-30-2004, 10:10 AM
i've heard that Hustler burn the grass but Never gave me a reason why they burn grass ...i bought a pm144z gravely 4 months ago and didn't have any problem with it ,,,i went to the Hustley dealer before i bought my gravely and the saleman try to sell me there scag and dixie chopper ,,,,i was like MMMM sorry ,,,don't do business like that......i ask him what was wrong with the hustler and hes told me people buying scag and dixe chopper .....well..i didn't trust him and few days later went to the gravely dealer ,,,,,,,,love it and hope good luck to you all .

imograss
08-30-2004, 12:16 PM
My burning issues were eliminated with this shield..........

NoWalk4Me
08-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Tim,
Is that the Hustler fix or one that you have designed/fabbed? Thanks.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
08-30-2004, 11:21 PM
I made my own shield very similar to IMOWGRASS, works great, no more burning problems

imograss
08-31-2004, 07:57 AM
That is one of 2 shields Hustler sent me to try.