PDA

View Full Version : Stick edger vs. String trimmer

PLM-1
08-30-2004, 01:52 PM
I can't decide whether or not i should buy a stick edger. are they that great? do they do as good of a job as a string trimmer? the trimmer looks pretty darn good in my opinion.

If you think i should try one which brand? I love my shindaiwa trimmer and blower. I hate echo...bought one of their trimmers a couple of years ago and that thing lasted one yard until i snapped in half and threw it in the dumpster!

Thanks in advance!

fivespot
08-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Stick edger is my vote time is money.

CamLand
08-30-2004, 04:08 PM
well IMO i would have both, trimmer for just trimming and edger being run for walks and drives,now if you have a drive or walkway that is overgrown then no question a a edger is best.We have push edgers and sticks...

and yes shinny is a good trimmer and stick..

DSIM
08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Stick edger will leave a professional straight edge everytime. Trimmer is dependant upon the operator whether it will be consistanly straight.

BladeRunner1967
08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Will a stick edger clean up a walkway that is overgrown(never been edged)? Also will they work on asphalt driveways that are not very straight? Mulch beds? I am really interested in one because I have not seen one on any LCO's trailers in this area. Thanks.

CJ GreenScapes
08-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner1967
Will a stick edger clean up a walkway that is overgrown(never been edged)? Also will they work on asphalt driveways that are not very straight? Mulch beds? I am really interested in one because I have not seen one on any LCO's trailers in this area. Thanks.

Its funny how different things are in other areas. Around here, you do not see an LCO without a stick edger. IMO, no edge looks better than one done with a stick. But then again, that's just what I am used to seeing and using.

PLM-1
08-30-2004, 05:04 PM
in my area you don't see them either...my shindaiwa dealer doesn't even have any in stock! but of course he can order. on the sinds, is one model better than the other?

darkshadow
08-30-2004, 05:10 PM
The 260 has slightly more CCs than the 230 does. For power and establishing a first time edge with a stick, the Stihl FC110 might be your best bet Joplin (fleetwood probably has those). Are you solo operation Jop?

printer88
08-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Sticks are really a lot better for edging.Easier to use,faster and a lot less mess.If you can afford it,get one you will be glad you did.
Dark is right,the Stihl brand edgers are sweet.They are fine for edges that are not very straight,asphalt is fine too.

Lazer_Z
08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Go with the STIHL FC110 you will not disappointed. I like this model for 3 reasons #1 straight shaft, #2 Power to spare & #3 It's a multi purpose machine check out STIHL.com and you will see what i mean. Good luck in your search.

dobehap
08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
time to get it a little dirty and edge that driveway :)

Lazer_Z
08-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by dobehap
time to get it a little dirty and edge that driveway :) It's not really my problem but, it p*ssed me off one day and I said what the hell and did it any way. And trust me she is'nt that clean anymore.

PLM-1
08-30-2004, 06:38 PM
darkshadow-
yes i am a solo op in Joplin along with Lawrence ks (i go to school here and mow here then travel to joplin on the weekends to mow there...tons of miles but awesome money)

Expert Lawns
08-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I bought a used Stihl (FS80 i think) curved shaft stick edger. It works awesome with a new blade on it. It won't go through heavey stuff though. Bogs down a lot. Also, i have to hold it on such a strange angle that it feels like my shoulder is going to fall off when i'm done. anyone eles have this problem?

locutus
08-30-2004, 09:46 PM
The only time I ever use my stick edger is if the curb, driveway or patio are really overgrown. It sets a nice clean edge that I am able to maintain with my trimmer. If you cant manage to keep a straight line with your trimmer, then maybe an edger is the answer for you.

jcb287
08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Stick edger all the way...................Looks way better than using a string trimmer.

Cheesedawg1
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I bought a used Stihl (FS80 i think) curved shaft stick edger. It works awesome with a new blade on it. It won't go through heavey stuff though. Bogs down a lot. Also, i have to hold it on such a strange angle that it feels like my shoulder is going to fall off when i'm done. anyone eles have this problem?

On overgrown curbs its a fight with a stick edger. My arms kill me after im done. But its better than edging with string trimmer.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-30-2004, 10:46 PM
That is why I think the wheeled edger is best for over grown edges and then a stick edger for regular maintenece and lastly the string trimmer for the touch up if needed

DennisF
08-30-2004, 10:55 PM
A stick edger will lay down a much straighter and better looking edge than a trimmer. If you want professional looking work you need a stick edger. I wouldn't even think of doing an edge with a trimmer. JMO.

txlawnking
08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Currently I have a WB edger that I establish an edge with. After I've established a good edge, I maintain with my trimmer. I do want a stick edger, and now that Stihl has the 110 with straight shaft, I'll probly get one..It does make a clean edge.. I can edge with my trimmer very quickly, and very well, but when I add an employee, I want one guy doing one thing and another on a different task..And no matter how good you can be with a trimmer, the edger will make a "cleaner" edge.. It just that solo, i save time by not making an extra trip to the truck changing tools.

corey
08-30-2004, 11:19 PM
I can't see putting the $ into a good stick edger . I own all shinindawa equipment and i think that if you can't keep a straight and perfect radius on alwn with just a line trimmer than hang it up. you waste time ,money,andsupplys when your employee line trims then wallks back to the trailer and gets stick edger completes that, then walks back to the trailer one more time to get the blower and complete the job, it just makes more profit not sense to train them on a line and make it perfect or get someone else, theres plenty of people needing jobs

PLM-1
08-31-2004, 01:31 AM
All the trips back to the truck would suck...i still can't decide guys. I guess it is only 300 bucks or so...maybe i should try it. hmmm

EagleLandscape
08-31-2004, 01:50 AM
You will go through alot more string using a trimmer to edge, than just using a metal blade.

The companies out there made edgers for a reason, to edge. And they made trimmers to well, um, trim.

It's quite simple. But be sure not to bog down the stick edger, you might burn out the clutch.

Frosty_03
08-31-2004, 01:53 AM
I believe a stick edger is the way to go, true you loose time when you have to go and exchange it out at the trailer, but it sure leaves a nice edge line. Here is one of my lawn that I use a sticke edge on:cool:

bottlefed89
08-31-2004, 01:55 AM
I think I'm gonna get the stihl fs110, I like the idea of a multi tool. Do you guys stick edge with every service, or only occasionally?? I currently edge with my trimmer, so I'd think once I have a better edge on my lawns I could keep them sometimes with just a string trim, is this so, or do you edge every week??

DSIM
08-31-2004, 08:08 AM
I really like the design of the FC110! I have the FC75 and it gets clogged easily.
Does anybody know if I could switch blade guard attchments?
thanks

khutch
08-31-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
You will go through alot more string using a trimmer to edge, than just using a metal blade.

The companies out there made edgers for a reason, to edge. And they made trimmers to well, um, trim.

String is cheaper than blades, and BTW did companies make mowers to bag, discharge or mulch?

My advice is that you need em both...And Stihl makes a good product or they would not have the market share they do.

Actually, if you can edge w/a trimmer, it's a big advantage. I like the flexability of having a couple of ways to complete a task. i.e.; bag, discharge or mulch. Different situations, different solutions. Often I use my Stihl 110 stick, but most of the time, a string trimmer with GOD forbid - aN eDGit!!!! I just find it much, much faster and no client has never fired me because they said, "Hey. see that guy across the street with that there edging thing? That looks a lot better than what your doing....Why, it's a whole 3/16 of an inch narrower. Hit the road, BOY!"
;)
Use a string trimmer will put less hours on your stick. Solo guys usually save tive using a string trimmer. With an Edgit (Oh my God, he mentioned IT again) if you are getting a bit weary by the end of the day you can edge with one-hand , no problem, nice straight line. Can't do that with a stick.

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 08:47 AM
It takes a little practice to edge with a trimmer. Once mastered.. you can keep an edge equal to what an edger will put down. You will definitely save time using the trimmer to accomplish two tasks. I recommend an edger to establish the edge first.

This is edged with a trimmer walking forward at a normal pace.

gogetter
08-31-2004, 09:14 AM
My vote is for having all three (wb edger, stick edger, and trimmer).

The wb edger establishes new, overgrown edges.

The stick is used "once in a while". I usually maintain the edges with the trimmer, but I'll clean it up nice every couple/few weeks with the stick edger again.

It really does come down to the operator. Some guys can make a very clean, straight edge with a trimmer, others can't.

As far as adding time going to the trailer, it should be minimal if you do things right.
You should have a pattern that you go in with the trimmer, starting off right near the trailer and ending up there when you're done trimming. Then just grab edger and edge sidewalks/curbs. So the added time is just what it takes to put string trimmer up and grab stick edger down (less then a minute).

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 09:29 AM
I disagree Jonathan.. you would have to retrace all your steps around the property (or properties) that need edging. That's where you save a lot of time.

gogetter
08-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Lawn-Scapes
I disagree Jonathan.. you would have to retrace all your steps around the property (or properties) that need edging.

Not sure I'm following you Tom. I only edge the curbs and sidewalks which are out front. The string timmer is used around the house, trees, etc.

So I'm not actually retracing any steps.
I don't string trim where I'm edging, and I'm not edging where I'm string trimming.

I suppose if you're edging something in the backyard, then you would be retracing steps, but I don't use the edger in the backyards.

Mark Lawncare
08-31-2004, 11:03 AM
Only get a stick edger if there are a lot of concrete drives and walkways in your area. Your better off with a string trimmer around cement.

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Okay Jonathan.. let me see if I can explain this so it's not confusing. FYI... I am right handed and carry the weedeater so a finger on my right hand is pulling the trigger. I trim everything walking forward in a counter-clockwise manner.

Using my picture as an example... I have 5 properties on this street. Two in a row on the right and three in a row on the left.

I just finished mowing and grab the trimmer. I start on the right side of the street where my trailer is. I flip the trimmer upright and start edging the curb.. turning left at the drive continuing to edge until I see an obstacle (tree, small bed, whatever) in the lawn that needs to be trimmed.. I trim it. I then continue to edge the driveway where I left off until I get to the left corner of the house. I trim around the front of house (CC) and also trim any obstacles in the lawn along the way. There is usually a walkway to the front door that will need edging.. that's done. I continue trimming around to the right side of the house (always trimming obstacles along the way) and get to the back. There is typically a patio or concrete pad in the back and that gets edged while I'm there. ***I can usually clear off the patio with my trimmer too.. saving time by not having to walk back there with the blower*** Contiue trimming around to the side of the house where I left off edging the driveway. Flip to edge mode and edge out to the street.. making a left edging the curb.. until I reach the next house and the process is repeated. Second house is done and I walk across the street starting at the left most street curb.. repeating the same process until I am at the house you see on the left in the picture. As you can see I started right at my trailer and finish up right across the street from my trailer with the trimming and edging being done without retracing many steps. If I were to do it seperately I would be doing a lot more walking (as these props are 44 - 55,000sf) ... no?

I always work left to right. I use this process whether it's one property (any size) or five.

I hope you understand what I'm saying and it makes sense to do it this way.

The C Man
08-31-2004, 03:23 PM
IMO, this can never be posted enough...

http://www.edgit.com/followedge.htm

mastercare
08-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Would never use a string trimmer to do edging. I picked up 4 accounts this year becase the customers were unhappy with the edging job.....done with a trimmer. The stick edgers don't require a steady hand, anybody can use one without experience, and you can almost jog with them on a maintained edge.
I've always ushed Shindaiwa, and have no complaints. I've never had to use a 3 wheeled edger for the first edge. I use the shindy and a flat shovel to pull the "sod" off the top of the driveway. When finished, run down it once more, and you'll made an edge deep enough that you can "run with it" the rest of the season. Customers don't even mind paying an extra few bucks for the frst edging!

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
C man... thanks for posting that.

Jonathan.. I do the exact opposite as that diagram shows.. I start where it says Done in FIG. 1

Either way... it would be a lot more walking involved.

corey
09-01-2004, 10:58 PM
my problem is still partly the drives and walks buy the biggest isssue is on the bed lines and they would have to be done with a stick too. i kinda like the way the edgit looks it might be the solution. but i would just like to get the guy as good as me with the line trimmer and i wouldn;t have anything to complain about or scratch my head about.

Steve9
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by grass_cuttin_fool
That is why I think the wheeled edger is best for over grown edges and then a stick edger for regular maintenece and lastly the string trimmer for the touch up if needed

Absolutely right. i wish i had kept my wheeled edger just for new properties that have never had an edge put down. Nothing beats them. They leave a nice DEEP edge that I like. ijust couldnt justify keeping it to use a couple times a year though.

bottlefed89
09-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Anyone know if you put a stick edger attachment on an fs250??

matthew horner
09-02-2004, 12:35 AM
The only time I'd use a stick is in the spring or when picking up new accounts that have not been edged in a while, or never. Once you get a cut established, for me, a trimmer is faster all around than a stick.
Also, I haven't seen a pic of an edge yet that I could'nt do with my stihl string trimmer.

snowmizer
09-02-2004, 08:55 AM
i use both have shin. multi tool and shin trimmer. after you establish a well defined edge with the stick it is easy enough to maintain with the trimmer. then again the stick will in my opinion have a more well defined edge. I guess it all depends on the situation

Duramax99
09-02-2004, 07:51 PM
All you guys are going to pass out but we use spades to cut deep edges around beds then keep them up with our trimmers. Customers actually pay hundreds of dollars to have their houses weeded and edged.

deadend
09-07-2004, 12:02 AM
How can a trimmer possibly be faster or more accurate than an edger? I can literally run behind my edger. There is no way that a trimmer can be operated that fast with any degree of accuracy.

clc2003
09-07-2004, 02:55 AM
I can't say that I have seen any of my competitors using a stick edger. I thought about buying one, but I don't know how much it would be used. Sounds like u guys that have them include edging in your price. Don't think it would work for me. Don't know if I could get any bites if it was an additional service.

petekief
09-07-2004, 07:15 AM
i love my stick edger. it's my favorite tool - start it up - set it in place - start edging - walk fast down the right side - walk fast down the left side - see the dirt fly - turn it off - turn around and see a PERFECTLY edged walk and/or drive - DONE in a matter of seconds - sweeeet - and knowing how good its gonna look when it's blown off - i head for the truck to take care of that little issue - I can not do with a trimmer what that stick edger can do - it's the finishing touch. let's face it - we do this because WE LOVE THE TOYS - am i right? - GET THE EDGER - you'll love it kid.

Tobe Lawn Care
09-07-2004, 08:12 AM
We have all 4: wb, stick,edgit and trimmers. Here is how we use each tool.
WB only gets used on first time accounts, where there is major cleanup
involved. This would be too hard on a stick edger.

Stick edger is used for large properties, due to ease of use and
speed. Once you get the hang of a stick you can pretty much run
w/one. When it's wet we never use a stick because of the mudballs and
dirt left on the sidewalks. This is where the edgit shines. Way less mess
than a stick, but doesn't have the speed and is kind of heavy for
extended use. It's awesome for small properties because you can
edge/trim all at once. We only use our stick 1 day a week since we
bought the edgit.

ed2hess
09-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Get Echo split boom then you can get edger, trimmer, and bush trimmer.

odin
09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
once apon a time we used john deere E35 walkbehind's ..now they or any other walkbehind edger is never even on the trailer anymore.

The sthil fc110 can cut though the ones aint been edged in years .Goes though em like a hot knife thougfh butter.

We use a stick edger every week on over props I find its fastest way to edge sidewalks.

PLM-1
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
what is an edgit? never heard of it...where can i see what one looks like??

khutch
09-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Try edgit.com
Edgit is a disc that fits where the string guard goes. It "rolls" and allows you to set the disc in the groove you want to edge. Hit the throttle and go....some call it a training wheel but I think it works great.

cgotro
09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Over time you will not be able to keep the edge the same distance from the concrete. As you step or walk you will move away from the edge. This will not look good. Plus the edge is alot faster and you get the same great edge all the time. We was the redmax. Ballbeariings in the wheel and super well built. Have a great Day

googles
09-11-2004, 07:12 AM
i have a echo stick edger and its great. the advantage with a edger over an weed wacker is that you dont burn the grass you are cutting it. its healther.

PaulJ
09-11-2004, 12:14 PM
www.edgit.com will give you the info on the edgit.
I have one on every trimmer. edge once with a blade if it's overgrown, then maintain with the trimmer/edgit.

1st Rate Lawns
09-11-2004, 02:20 PM
I am in an area where almost no one seems to use the stick edger. So because i do i get to really see the difference in our lawns versus comp. and must say i think the stick edger looks tons better. I use an echo edger and works excellent, but does not seem to work well on edges such as mulch beds and driveways due to the slight slope. Stick works best straight up and down.

rockhouse
09-11-2004, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=printer88]Sticks are really a lot better for edging.Easier to use,faster and a lot less mess.

I mow by myself & don't carry/use a stick edger. It would be a waste of time for me. It is MUCH faster to make one lap around the property doing edging & trimming. To go back to the truck to get a separate tool & then backtrack does not make sense to me. Edging is not difficult if it is kept up with on a weekly basis. I use an Echo 210 (very light) & am able to edge as fast as I can walk. I have never had any complaints about the quality of my edging. TIME IS MONEY.

drmiller100
09-12-2004, 12:25 AM
the number one best investment I made in my first year was a big stihl trimmer and the hedge trimmer attachment.
I bet I made a thousand bucks on that thing.
I got the hedge trimmer that allows you to adjust angle, then used it to mow down brush. Willows, tall grass, buck brush, trees, branches, you name it.
because it is about 2 feet long it cuts a lot bigger area then trimmer wire. It does plug up with thick short grass.
cool tool.

mowjoeman
09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
I usually use the stick edger once a month in the early months and turn the trimmer upside down to keep a nice looking edge, but there are some properties especially later in the season that require you stick edge the property more often. no doubt the stick edger leaves a good professional edge! providing your using the equipment in the right manner and you keep the blade at the proper length always. The timmer does a nice job , but no comparison on my jobs when I use the stick edger compared to the line trimmer. another thing I found is that the edger will sometimes dig out alot of soil on the edge leaving the edge depleated of the proper amount of soil needed to provide a nice looking green edge. so you really have to use your own decretion. I might be doing something wrong with the edger, I don't know? I might have it set to deep but I've tried it in alot of different positions and it still digs out to much soil, so on these properties I use the stick edger once a month and the weed trimmer the rest of the time, the edge is alright I guess but iI like everything to look it's best and in my opinion, the edge says alot about the person doing the job.

protouchlawn
09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
I think the Stihl 4-Mix 110 stick edger is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The torque is out of this world. You can just FLY along a driveway or sidewalk. I will never be without one again.

dcondon
09-13-2004, 09:26 PM
we bought a new one last year and it has 10 min's on it. We haven't even taken it off the rack this year. Not much call for it in this area

HighGrass
09-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Its funny how different things are in other areas. Around here, you do not see an LCO without a stick edger. IMO, no edge looks better than one done with a stick. But then again, that's just what I am used to seeing and using.

It's true. Around here, not many LCO's have em. I was thinking about edging next year and have asked my customers if they would be interested in paying a little more to have it done by-weekly. They seem pretty receptive.

I love all the echo equipment I have. I have a curved shaft for trimming, a straight shaft that I soley use for weeds and heavy grass, and a hand held blower. they all have worked fine for me.

Venturewest
02-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi, I know this is off the topic, but are you related to any Horners from Wisconsin?

Tobe Lawn Care
02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Who are you talking to about the Horner's? And who are you talking about? Could it be Lisa, Jennifer or John?