PDA

View Full Version : Diazinon Product Registrations Cancellation Order

tremor
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Title: Diazinon (an insecticide);
Product Registrations Cancellation Order
Date of publication: August 11, 2004
Citation: Volume 69, Number 154, Page 48864-48867 http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PES...y-11/p18384.htm
Purpose: This notice announces EPA's cancellation order for the cancellations, as requested by registrants, of all outdoor non- agricultural end-use products containing Diazinon [O,O-Diethyl O-(2-
isopropyl-6-methyl-4-pyrimidinyl) phosphorothioate] and accepted by EPA, pursuant to section 6(f) of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). This order follows up a December 10, 2003 Notice of Receipt of Requests from Diazinon registrants for cancellations of all of their Diazinon outdoor non-agricultural end-use product registrations. In the December 10, 2003 Notice, EPA indicated that it would issue an order granting the voluntary product registration cancellations, unless the Agency received substantive comments within [[Page 48865]] the 180 day comment period that would merit its further review of these requests. The Agency did not receive any comments on the Notice. Accordingly, EPA hereby issues in this notice a cancellation order granting the requested cancellations. Any distribution, sale, or use of the products subject to this cancellation order is only permitted in accordance with the terms of the existing stocks provisions of this cancellation order.
Chemical(s): Diazinon **
Comments: The cancellations are effective immediately.
Contact: Stephanie Plummer, Special Review and Reregistration Division (7508C); telephone number: (703) 305-0076; e-mail address: plummer.stephanie@epa.gov.

Goodbye old friend.

Green Dreams
08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Good...should've been banned 10 years ago.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-30-2004, 08:41 PM
man sure did like the smell!!!;) ;) ;) :eek: :D :D

trying 2b organic
08-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Ya, Malathion smells much better. Wierd stuff

grassguy_
08-30-2004, 10:28 PM
A sad day that a good old stand by insecticide is now out the door, but at least science has somewhat kept pace with the pyrethriods, but then the manufacturers know they got you over a barrel on pricing compared to diazinon.

Ric
08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
I never missed Dursban but I will miss Diazinon. No I didn't use it a lot in fact it has been quite a while since I used it. It was one of the best Ant kills and it also got grubs at higher rates with a good wetting agent. But the main thing I think I will miss is the fact it was once labeled for Nematodes. To my knowledge we now have nothing to control Nematodes.

Lindane is the other product I miss. Once again it was the only curatives for bores that really worked. But there is a long list of Pesticides that are on the hit list and will be gone very soon. So it is a whole new world now.

I really wished They would allow us to have some of these products on a restrictive bases and make them a very controlled product.

Now some of our new pesticides are great, But they are no longer as broad labeled as the old ones. This means having more different product to do special jobs. It also means we need to be a little sharper on our diagnosis to use the right pesticide.

Now just like Grass cutting, Pest Control will still stay the same price to the customer and our cost will go up. Think about it, 20 years ago we got $ 25 to mow a yard and today we still get $ 25 to mow a yard.

PS Steve I left a message on your cell phone. If you still have my 800 number please call me.

tremor
08-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Whether we liked Diazinon or not isn't really this issue for me.

I find it offensive to my civil liberties that our government has decided what is best for Americans without the good counsel of the informed. Rather this decision was made based on the impassioned ranting of the emotionally unstable & intellectually challenged. Thank you Clinton/Gore era EPA.

On the upside, there is a case building to save carbaryl. At least we might get to keep one insecticide that can control Grubs, Chinch, & Webbies in one bag or bottle. Too bad it also smokes Earthworms.

Ric
08-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Tremor

Good talking with you today even if I was running a skid load at the time. Hurricane Charley has even the old man Ric out working in the 95 degree heat and 100% humidity. Spray customer are dropping like flies because they are more worried about have a roof over their head than good looking grass right now.

The first round of clean ups are just about over now and the out of state boys seem to be less and less. Most have left on their own, but a few have been run out of town. We are dealing with many types of people right now. Those who expect everything done and finished yesterday and those are contend to have a roof over there head. We are still working on second wind and organization is just a dream right now.

Now People are people and this applies to tree huggers as well. Carbaryl has the broadest label of any insecticide on the market it would be a shame to lose it. Unfortuantely our sandy soil has few if any earth worms. That to me is the only draw back with carbaryl. However even at the low price per gallon it is expensive to apply, but does the job. I don't think Slick Willie real cared about pesticide, but Rachael Carson's step son sure did. It makes me might proud that Florida was the deciding factor in his not getting the Job.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by tremor
Whether we liked Diazinon or not isn't really this issue for me.

I find it offensive to my civil liberties that our government has decided what is best for Americans without the good counsel of the informed. Rather this decision was made based on the impassioned ranting of the emotionally unstable & intellectually challenged. Thank you Clinton/Gore era EPA.

On the upside, there is a case building to save carbaryl. At least we might get to keep one insecticide that can control Grubs, Chinch, & Webbies in one bag or bottle. Too bad it also smokes Earthworms.

I couldn't have said it better myself.. I agree, and I'm glad Ric's state helped us get rid of those two turd's ( Billy and Al *****)..

Tharrell
09-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Organophosphates have been on the edge for a while. I still miss Dursban 2E. I think we should have every tool in our arsenal. Maybe the banned products could have been under tighter scrutiny instead of killed off. Connie Chung helped deliver Dursban with her yellow journalism and junk science. I met Dr. Austin Frishman(sp?) a few years ago and his comments were about pesticide bans and the West Nile virus in the northeast. He predicted the problems currently encountered with pesticide bans and notification laws. I spent 10 years in the commercial pest elimination industry (structural) with SC Johnson and Ecolab both of whom are international and have their own labs. They write the technical articles that all the small operators read for guidance.
Life was good when we had a wide range of choices.
I second the comments, goodbye old friends.