PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu NPR Gas vs Diesel

Aleman
08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok guys, I need a little advice from Isuzu owners. Im getting ready to purchase a box truck for my mowing and fert business. My dealer has 2 1999 models to choose from. One is gas with 116,000 miles. I can get that one for $11,000. The other is a diesel with 138,000 miles and I can get that one for 13,900. The diesel looks a little better cosmetically but other than that, they are in about the same shape. My concern with the gas is the mileage and fuel cost. The concern with the diesel is what if it breaks...I know they can be really expensive to repair and their maintenance cost is higher. So, which one??:confused:

xcopterdoc
08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
I'd pick the diesel. Its a great lil engine. test drive em and take em to a shop to get a look over. Most shops charge 1 hr labor look over a larger truck like that. We had an NRR where I worked and it had almost 400,000 when I left.

txlawnking
08-30-2004, 07:45 PM
I'd say diesel all the way, for the life expectancy alone. The Isuzu's have a well deserved rep for durability. On a different note, however, I too, was really wanting an NPR, But I've been told by several folks who own them that they get about 12mpg with a 16' box on them.. Not my idea of good fuel economy... I'd really hate to see what it gets as a gasser...They are geared too low IMO.. I was wanting one in an effort to save fuel, have a manueverable rig, and eliminate trailers.. in that order.

Any guy's got any comments on the fuel mileage of these things??

Or were the numbers I was told accurate?

Aleman
08-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, the fuel cost was one thing I was concerned about with the gas. Ive been told that if the diesel has a hard engine failure that repair cost could get up around 8k...