PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Almanac prediction

Liberty Lawncare
08-30-2004, 05:02 PM
The Farmers Almanac predicts "wet and wild winter".
I believe it alot of maples are starting to change here. This is waayyy early. Usualy the early changers dont start till mid September. The early changers started 2 weeks ago this year. We had more rain than usual so it is not drought causing early leaf drop.

CamLand
08-30-2004, 05:04 PM
I've been noticing that in Michigan as well with the maples changing.Almanac is staing heavy snow for Michigan,seems they say that every year...

CJ GreenScapes
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Same here in Alabama. We did have a quick cold front come through a couple of weeks ago - I think the high was like 85, instead of 95. But, I did not think that should cause the changes so early. Weird...

ElephantNest
08-30-2004, 05:35 PM
They say harsher for the northern and western states, but milder for us southerners.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Id believe that without reading the farmer's alm. This summer never really warmed up. I can count the number of hot days on a single hand here in MI. Just my predict as well, but I'm expecting a bad winter.

dcondon
08-30-2004, 05:54 PM
let it snow, let it snow, let it SNOW:D

fordsrule
08-30-2004, 05:58 PM
i aagree with dcondon let it snow

prizeprop
08-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Yes indeed!!! Let it SNOW!!!

Sooners
08-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Snow?? What's that?

Just kidding. I get to see a light snow every couple of years or so. No winter money shoveling down here. It melts in a day or 2.

When I moved from Houston to south Arkansas we had a "bad" ice storm. The county road crew consisted of 2 guys in a 1-T truck. One was driving and the other was pushing sand onto the road with a shovel as the drove by. LOL.

TooTallLawncare
08-30-2004, 07:27 PM
What are they saying for us in the midwest?

dcondon
08-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TooTallLawncare
What are they saying for us in the midwest?

So of Michigan........... Green Grass J/K.

qualitylandscaping
08-30-2004, 09:08 PM
snowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

wriken
08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
can't wait till old man winter gets here

Up North
08-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Typical Arctic Cat...up on blocks.:D :D

Just kidding Wriken, since Cat is made here in MN I can't bash them too bad. In fact, both Cat & Polaris is made here...and I drive a Ski-Doo, that ain't right.

Anyway, we have maple, aspen, and some oak turning already here. I have some hunting land that I went down to yesterday and some maples are blazing red & orange. That ain't right...I have never seen things turning this early before, never.

I need to have the snow hold off for another 3 weeks until I get my new Blizzard plow, then it can snow all it wants!!!

Buck

GreenMonster
08-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Up North

In fact, both Cat & Polaris is made here...and I drive a Ski-Doo, that ain't right.

Buck

you couldn't be more right.:D

LwnmwrMan22
08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Forget the snowplowing, I hate it.

Bring on the ice fishing though!!

promower
08-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Nice walleye! Ice fishing is to much work for me I'd rather sit in a tree stand all day:D

wriken
08-30-2004, 09:55 PM

Just kidding Wriken, since Cat is made here in MN I can't bash them too bad. In fact, both Cat & Polaris is made here...and I drive a Ski-Doo, that ain't right.

Anyway, we have maple, aspen, and some oak turning already here. I have some hunting land that I went down to yesterday and some maples are blazing red & orange. That ain't right...I have never seen things turning this early before, never.

I need to have the snow hold off for another 3 weeks until I get my new Blizzard plow, then it can snow all it wants!!!

Buck

I'm getting a Blizzard 810, hopefully in 2-3 weeks.

rtyus
08-30-2004, 10:17 PM
This has been one of the mildest Augusts that I ever remember. We had a lot of days that didn't get out of the 80's and that's really unusual for us. August is usually the hottest month of the year with upper 90's to low 100's and brutal humidity.

My kids would love to see a good snowfall. It's been about 10 years since we've had any that actually accumulated.

chuckers
08-30-2004, 10:19 PM
theres my new F7 and there is a sno pro and a mtn cat in the background...... i have the sno pro but the mtn cat is sold.... i have to agree with wriken the arctic cats are one WICKED sled

I NEED SNOW:blob3: :blob3:

rodfather
08-31-2004, 05:45 AM
I say...BRING IT ON...cha-ching!!!

Gravely_Man
08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
A good winter (plenty of snow) would be great for the kids this year but not for me. All of my snow clients are on a contact with triggers they set but I get paid if it snows or not. Just like mowing, you should still get paid even if their is a drought.

Gravely_Man

LwnmwrMan22
08-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
A good winter (plenty of snow) would be great for the kids this year but not for me. All of my snow clients are on a contact with triggers they set but I get paid if it snows or not. Just like mowing, you should still get paid even if their is a drought.

Gravely_Man

That's exactly what I do. I've got 18 of my 38 commercial accounts set up on flat fees year-round.

That way I know my truck payments, house payments, food on the table, etc., are always going to be there.

No more wondering where the snow is, since my truck payment is 2 months behind schedule.

Up North
08-31-2004, 10:29 AM
Wriken, have you run Blizzard before or is this your first? I've run Western in my early days, now that I'm getting back into plowing I like what Blizzard has to offer.

LwnmwrMan22, NICE Wally! Catch it on Red???? :o :D

Just kidding, can't wait to get on the ice myself. Here's some crappies we pulled through the ice.

Buck

MDB270
08-31-2004, 04:42 PM
EACH SNOWFLAKE IS A PENNY FROM HEAVEN!!!!

CamLand
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Crappie fishing,now that is some fun fish to land...

CJ GreenScapes
08-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Ice fishing? Snow mobiling? Snow plowing?

What is this stuff you speak of - snow and ice? Well, it sounds like fun. If you happen to come across some at a good price, how about sending it my way - I'll pay the shipping!

not_as_noun
08-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Good snow is almost worth paying for down here.

wriken
08-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Wriken, have you run Blizzard before or is this your first? I've run Western in my early days, now that I'm getting back into plowing I like what Blizzard has to offer.

first one, they look great. will find out

snowmizer
08-31-2004, 09:22 PM
well they nailed the summer prediction for around here. they might be on a roll

soonernation
08-31-2004, 10:50 PM
I've never seen a summer like this one. So mild. So much rain. I asked several senior citizens that grew up in Oklahoma their whole lives if they can think of one like this and they all told me "not even close". I can't complain. Business is BOOMING!!

Liberty Lawncare
08-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Up north have you tried Fisher plows? I have used Myer, Western and Fisher the Fisher works much better. I have not heard of Blizzard. The thing I like best about the fisher is the Cutting edge folds back when the plow strikes an object. The others I used the whole plow falls forward and takes a major wack.

Up North
09-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
Up north have you tried Fisher plows? I have used Myer, Western and Fisher the Fisher works much better. I have not heard of Blizzard. The thing I like best about the fisher is the Cutting edge folds back when the plow strikes an object. The others I used the whole plow falls forward and takes a major wack.

Liberty,
No, I've never tried the Fisher. My dad had one on his Chevy but he passed away very unexpectedly and I never a chance to try it. He only got to use it once himself that I know of as he'd just got it mounted a few weeks before his passing. I know they are a decent plow and I'd look into one but we don't have a dealer anywhere near my town, would hate to have a breakdown and be a couple hours away from parts & service.

The Blizzard is relatively new, been out only a few years I think. But check them out, not sure of the website but I know Plowsite.com has a link to them.

Buck

l1011100
09-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Speaking of snow I have been waiting for it to snow here in Ga. ever since I moved down here. I guess its time to get rid of my plow for my Scout. does anyone want it, what would shipping cost?

LwnmwrMan22
09-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Buck -

Blizzard's been around for a while, just not marketed very well in this part of the country, at least not up in the sticks where you are. :)

I run Diamond plows, my shop is a good 45 minutes away. That sucks, but I've got 3 plows for 18 accounts, so usually I don't have a problem getting done.

I'm thinking about next year switching to Boss V-Plows though, it'd be nice at a couple of my accounts to have the V.

Grassmechanic
09-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22
Buck -

I'm thinking about next year switching to Boss V-Plows though, it'd be nice at a couple of my accounts to have the V.
I've run them all - Meyer, Arctic, Fisher, Western, etc. by far the best is a Boss. They're built and designed in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - where there is a TON of snow. Boss is pricey, but once you have one, you'll wonder how come you didn't get it sooner.

cgotro
09-01-2004, 10:34 AM
We have had the coldest days in August in Louisiana since 1902, broke the record 5 days in a row.

RidgeCon
09-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I drove through Saskatchewan last week on my way across Canada and we had snow (about 2 inches) on the ground for about 60 miles. The ashphalt was melted but accumulating on the sides of the road......(too early..)

Up North
09-01-2004, 02:21 PM
RidgeCon,
Yikes! That may be why some geese are already on the move...we've seen quite a few heading south already.

Buck

satch
09-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I think its going to be cold.Sunday afternoon wuz setting out watching the kids play and noticed several long droves of blackbirds heading south.This is very unusual this time of year here in western TN.It is closer to the end of SEPT. or first of OCT. before they come through.

grassrootsinab
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey Ridge,
Are you sure that it was snow and not hail....we've had some wicked hail storms here in the last few weeks and it has stuck around for a while after the storm. Although I too have noticed a bunch of geese heading south already. I don't mind if the snow comes but I'm really not looking forward to the really cold weather. I guess ski season will start early (here's hoping!!)

CamLand
09-01-2004, 04:34 PM
RidgeCon,
Yikes! That may be why some geese are already on the move...we've seen quite a few heading south already.

Buck

Yup we are going to snipe some from the skys this weekend...

Up North
09-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Good luck Camland! I'd be doing the same but just too busy to go skybusting. Maybe the following weekend before the early season ends...:gunsfirin

Buck

CamLand
09-01-2004, 04:41 PM
This is the time of year when i get to play in the field and water...