PDA

View Full Version : Paying worker's over the Winter?

MudslinginFX4
08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
What does everyone do with their employee's over the winter time (those of you who don't do plowing or mowing during the winter)? Do you cut their hours and their pay, or do you find a way to keep them busy? I have a lot of things that can be done but most are things that I can take my time over the winter and do myself. All of the equipment I have gets a complete inspection and all new plugs, belts, blades, oil etc... I also spend much time organizing papers that have been thrown around, and filing things in the filing cabinets. Another thing that I work on is bidding for new commercial properties. But back to my question.. what do your guys do? Do you send them out with flyers, have them work on the equipment, or simply give them time off?

LynyrdSkynyrd
08-30-2004, 09:40 PM
If you run a legit business you should be paying Unemployment Insurance on your workers. If you are not paying into it. I hope that you have a few grand stored away should one or more of them decide to file for unemployment when things get slow.

Oldtimer
08-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Cut their hours and let them collect unemployment to make up part of the difference.

Check with your local unemployment office to find out how many hours or how much money they can make and still be eligible for benefits.

Oldtimer