PDA

View Full Version : Ok I bought an eXmark metro 21?

outrunjason
08-30-2004, 08:04 PM
I went to a dealer in my area and they were not carrying the kawasaki proline toros do to them having bad head gaskets. So I went to another dealer that had them cheaper.

I get over to this other dealer and they have an exmark toro 6.5 what is this? Is it as good as the proline toro?

Jason in Dallas

odin
08-30-2004, 08:11 PM
They are the same mower ..just different engine options and the exmark doesnt have the recycler kickers under the mower deck.Same wheels same tranny same mower deck minus the kickers .

outrunjason
08-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the handle is a bit smaller also in thickness. The blade has only about 2 inch of cut on it compared to the longer cut on the 22040. So are kickers a big deal to have because the can be put on if needed.

odin
08-30-2004, 09:15 PM
You can put a toro blade on it if you want ..The recycler kickers aint no big deal ...A lot of guys take em off anyway .
I have the exmark with the kawi when it was rated at 5.5 hp.and it cuts great baggs good ..On my toro i left the kickers on seems to mulch a little better to me but like i said they aint no huge deal.A lot of guys take them off em anyway .

outrunjason
08-30-2004, 09:37 PM
I am so glad to hear I can put a toro blade on it. They were saying I couldn't. But I have about 10 Toro blades that I alternate. I was thinking if it is the same deck how could you not use a toro blade. I just can't believe that this dealer told me on the phone they had a proline toro and I drive all the way over to find an exmark stamped on it.

I want to find some other people on here that have them and what they like or dont like about them vs Toro proline.

odin
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
jason
As long as the blade has three holes like in the pic it will work on the exmark 21 bbc or zone start either one .

odin
08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
jason
As long as the blade has three holes like in the pic it will work on the exmark 21 bbc or zone start either one

outrunjason
08-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Are those gator blades for the Toro?

outrunjason
09-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Ok, I have to say now after purchasing this mower I am not satisfied. I was furious today. I started mowing and the realized all the nuts were loose on the handle to the frame. I have only used it 2 full days. So, ok all I need to do is tighten the bolts right. Wrong

I start to tighten one of the bolts and it breaks right off. Now come on whoever says these are like toro's are wrong. What kind of quality is that. I called my dealer and said look this is crap. They said to bring it in and they would fix it. I could care less if they fix it. They are just going to put back in another bolt that is going to break on me.

I called eXmark and asked about this and he said they have had a few 21's that the bolts have come out. I said well your mower handels are flimsy and the bolts are crap. He said that there handles are smaller in diameter because they use stronger tubing than toro does on there handles. Right.

He said to just take it to my dealer and have them fix it. He says the handle should have very little play in it. Well mine moves a lot and you can't tighten the nut or it breaks.

Anyone else have this problem?

Fareway Lawncare
09-03-2004, 08:42 PM
They come off the Same Assembly Line....My 21" Prolines Frequently have Loose Hardware When New....Check & Tighten Everything....Then wait for the fun to begin w/the height adjust levers...They Are Finiky to Set so you can Move them Easily.....The Mowers Only Weak Point....

Your handle May be Missing the Brace....

specialtylc
09-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
They come off the Same Assembly Line....My 21" Prolines Frequently have Loose Hardware When New....Check & Tighten Everything....Then wait for the fun to begin w/the height adjust levers...They Are Finiky to Set so you can Move them Easily.....The Mowers Only Weak Point....

Your handle May be Missing the Brace....
Finally, someone with a toro admits the wheel adjusters are crap and have been for years.:D

Turf Medic
09-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Can someone recomend a fantastic commercial grade 21" ??

khutch
09-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Kawasaki head gasket problem I am being told is fixed. No big deal, it was just the supplier of the gaskets....

quiet
09-04-2004, 10:29 PM
****Finally, someone with a toro admits the wheel adjusters are crap and have been for years. ****

That's my only beef with the Prolines. It's very annoying.

Fareway Lawncare
09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Height Adjuster ?

Try using Permanant Loctite after you find an acceptable give to the adjusters...Strange...Some Stay Perfect Forever...Some Tighten & Some Loosen Constantly....

dishboy
09-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by quiet
****Finally, someone with a toro admits the wheel adjusters are crap and have been for years. ****

That's my only beef with the Prolines. It's very annoying.

I've owned three, no ploblems with the height adj. just a little tight, no big deal.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
09-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Toro 21" v. Exmark 21"
1) Be carefull using a mulching blade on the BBC models. Will not
clear the plastic housing.
2) Older Toro (1999) will adjust to 1/2". New Exmark will only
lower to 3/4". Not sure about the new Toro's.
3) Have blown two head gaskets on the new 6.5 Kawasaki.
Repaired under warranty by dealer.
4) Advised by another local dealer (Toro) to take apart the new
wheel adjusters and apply anti-seize compound to the bolts. I
do this periodically

Turf Dancer
09-05-2004, 03:59 AM
Honda HRC216HXA is a killer commercial mower I have used them for 6 years

outrunjason
09-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Well Honda's can't mulch like a Toro or Exmark deck from what I hear. Where I live here in Dallas I hardly ever see honda decks. But they may work fine up north in different grass.

Jason

odin
09-05-2004, 03:01 PM
honda high end hydro is a excellent bagger .Forget the mulching dont even have to be heavy conditions and it mulchs like s h i t.
Leaves the grass just laying on top ...or least it does cool seasoin bluegrass and fescue.

specialtylc
09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
We only bag with our 21s. But the Honda HRC216HXA are the best for us as far as holding up to 24 hrs of commercial use each week. One of the problems we had with all the other brands was the wheel adjusters that use the rivet on the handle design, is the rivets get loose and the hole they fit into gets all egged out in no time. Toro, John Deere use this design.

Turf Dancer
09-06-2004, 04:42 AM
Hey rocket scientists ! I said they were a great mower and they run forever I have used the first one for 6 years at 22 hours a week 32 to 34 weeks a year and it is still running strong! I never said they mulched great! We bag everything so mulching is not something we have done much of! I mulched two lawns with it and I could not tell that it was not bagged ! Then again I am not sure what type of grass you have where you are ! We have Bluegrass, Rye and Fescue here!