PDA

View Full Version : trenches...

kemmer
08-30-2004, 08:05 PM
i have a customer that wants me to dig a ditch or trench, i havent see how long or wide, but i was just wondering what most of you charge per hr. for manual labor?

Mycannon
08-30-2004, 08:44 PM
$40 a man hour for 2 guys I charge 70 and a 3 guys 95

kemmer
08-30-2004, 11:55 PM
ok and what if you were doing the work? would it still be 40?

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-31-2004, 12:22 AM
yeah, 35-40/hr plus what ever machines you need to rent. 40 an hour is worth your time to sit there and dig as long as its not too big, even then, get two guys to dig for 12.50 an hour, you charge 70/hr, and you still make out with 45 and hour and dont have to do much...

printer88
08-31-2004, 12:41 AM
I would agree with the 35-45 an hr. range.

kemmer
08-31-2004, 06:44 PM
ok i have to dig a trench about 12" deep, 8" wide and about 40' long, this is going to be fun. lol:eek:

CapnDean
08-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Get yourself a 5/8" rope and borrow a plow.

Tow it with your ZTR. You can buy an old style one furrow plow for about $50 from the local co-op.

I have one and I have done trenches for drainage, a water line, a septic field drain and an underground wire to my shed for electricity.

It won't dig deeper than maybe 18"...so you couldn't do a sewer line with it...but it is handy as an 8 armed teenaged boy on a date.

I did not have a ZTR when I used this, I used a 4 wheeler once and a plain ole ridin mower the other times.

The trick is not to try to dig too deep in one pass. You manhandle the plow, let your wife do the drivin.

Oh yeah...my suggestion is crap if you are trying to dig into hard clay or something other than decent soil.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Go rent a trencher and charge accordingly.. usually about $220 a day here...a decent trencher will dig that in about 30 mins.. See if you can rent by the hr....They'll probly have a minimum of $75.. At least we did at a rental company I used to work at..

DALMlawn&landscaping
09-02-2004, 12:24 AM
damn! 220 a day! i think we rented one at the ranch for like, nothing near that and it messed up (oops :eek: ) not our fault, so they came out and fixed it, and let us have it for another day. by the way, we were doing about a length of 150-175 yards, in hard, tough, dry, rocky, texas hill country, and we dug 6 inches deep to bury a hose for a goat pen that needed water. if me and a buddy can do this half assed in no time, like half a day, 6 hours, then you can do whatever you need to in no time. and since we got it for an extra day, we trenched rain ditched all over the ranch to go to the tank, we've never seen so much water in that thing in a while! probably about 1000' total rain drainage to the tank. anyways, have fun, dont be a wuss.

justanotherlawnguy
09-02-2004, 12:32 AM
You can rent a Ditch Witch ride on trencher from your local rental place and have that dug in about 5-10 minutes depending on how hard the surface is. It really wouldnt be worth it though because they are about 175 per day, unless you can work a deal that you will be back in an hour, because a 40 foot trench a foot deep will be a snap. You will spend more time unloading and loading then the actual work. They are fun to drive also..........