PDA

View Full Version : New Trimmer, shindaiwa t270

Orkin Yards
05-13-2000, 01:56 AM
got a new trimmer today, didn't get the best deal but i had the money and wanted to get one, i got the sindaiwa t270 its got power, but i think that someone had talked about removing arestor out of muffler or sumtin<br>HOW DO I DO IT?!? don't wana mess anything up, also i don't like the handle and all, i can't flip my trimmer over and trim...is their some better way to be edging or do i just need a new handle...anything else i need to know about this trimmer?

Eric ELM
05-13-2000, 09:40 AM
The spark arrester should be in the end of the muffler hole. The handle can be spun around by loosening the hand turnable nut and retightened to an possition. We just leave ours in the upright possition.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

1stclasslawns
05-14-2000, 10:21 AM
Removing the spark arrester might void your warrenty. <p>I dont remove them till the warrenty is out. <p>Just a word of caution. I'd hate to see you get a new trimmer and have no warrenty. I know they are good ones but there is still the chance of getting a lemon.

Eric ELM
05-14-2000, 10:36 AM
My dealer takes the spark arrester out and puts them in the tool bag when you buy them new.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Keith
05-14-2000, 02:33 PM
Naturalawn, <p>Simple solution if that is a concern. Leave it in the trimmer for a few days to let it get a little carbon'ed up, then take it out. Before you take it for warranty work, just put it back in. <p>My experience, they cause more problems than they are worth...take it out :)

gusbuster
05-14-2000, 02:55 PM
Spark arrester??? Tricky questions, POWER VS.LIABILITY VS. WARRENTY.<br>Man I wouldn't get caught without a spark arrester in my machine. What happens if a spark flies out hits your gas can and catches your clients property, worse yet, your clients house on fire? This happened to a friend of my family. Was working with trimmer, spark was thrown, hit the clients gas tank in boat that was next to grass and driveway, caught fire burned up the boat and most of the client's garage down. Our friend lost everything (house, business) because he was sited by our fire department for using a machine without a spark arrester.<p>2 reasons for spark arresters to get clogged up on NEW machines, running too much oil with your gas and not running your machine at full throttle.<p>After they changed the type of gas that they sell in California 3 years ago, we had problems with all our machines. The gas would not burn hot enough; 2-cycle oil wouldn't burn all the way. Fowl everything, spark plugs, and muffler, spark arresters ECT.. The solution: Run machines at full throttle, change spark plugs more often, clean muffler and spark arrester of carbon and oil deposits.<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

Bobby
05-14-2000, 04:20 PM
Hey Orkin, you probably now have the best trimmer there is. As far as cutting an edge line, it just takes time to get the feel of the new design. In a month from now, you'll wonder how you ever ran that thing you replaced. You wouldn't catch me running anything WITH a spark arrester. But then, I do live in a tropical paradice.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale<br> <p><font size="1">Edited by: Bobby

crew
05-17-2000, 05:01 PM
Cant imagine why you are compelled to remove arrestor. I have a 270 and there is never any shortage of power.On the contrary, I have to keep my guys from taking bark off trees and scalping the crap out of grass with the thing. What are you cutting ?

Gus
05-17-2000, 08:04 PM
No doubt a t-270 is about as good as it gets<br>but if you want to edge use an edger.

Oldtimer
05-22-2000, 09:51 PM
Take the spark arrester out and don't worry about voiding your warranty. I have never checked for spark arresters in any warranty situation and we have been selling Shindaiwa for 15 years. I can't remember selling a T27/270 with a spark arrester still in it.

columbiaplower
05-31-2000, 07:13 PM
how do u remove it?

Keith
05-31-2000, 10:23 PM
If it is like the 230, there is a small philips head screw at the muffler outlet. Take it out and use pliers or something to take the screen out of the end.

McDougall's Landscaping
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't remove the spark arrestor, I run T230s and now T242s have had more over the last 5 years than I can remember. Run them wide open all the time like you should all 2 strokes and clean the spark arrestor whenever you do your routine maintenance and you'll never even know its there

Alan0354
08-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I have to say I don't notice any difference with or without the screen.

Keith
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
LOL, this thread is ten years old! :D That took some digging.

GlynnC
08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
LOL, this thread is ten years old! :D That took some digging.

Wow, I was finding it unbelievable that someone found a new 270--I guess it was easier in the year 2000.:):):)

lawnboy dan
08-31-2010, 09:20 AM
i picked up an old t270 for 40 $ at a pawn shop-this thing is a monster! these are the good old days

ElephantNest
08-31-2010, 09:24 AM
I've still got 2 that have never had gas in them. There is a dealer around Alexandria, LA I think that still have a dozen or so T270's.

snapper72'
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing? How did this guy find a "brand new" t270? That's the unusual thing about the internet, he's answering a question posed 10 years ago! The 270 was probably the best 2 cycle trimmer ever made. I wish I could find one in a pawn shop, maybe I should start looking.

Realslowww
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
I have about 5 t270's and I find them to be overrated, the T 350 is heavier but much much more durable especially the clutch and way more power.*trucewhiteflag*